fiberglass by johnlp1994
Started on: 12-15-2014 04:28 PM
Replies: 5 (335 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 12-16-2014 05:20 PM
johnlp1994

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnlp1994Send a Private Message to johnlp1994Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to learn fiberglassing soon and I'm wondering what do you guys recommend as well as what do you do for materials and tricks? I already know metal working and bondo so if any of those skills are useful for this application at all
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You probably need to be a little more specific. What kind of project were you aiming to do? Are you planning on constructing plugs or molds? (There's lots of great books, websites and youtube videos available on fiberglassing.) Metal working and bondo skills, like all hand skills, will indirectly help though there isn't a lot you will directly take from one craft to the other.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 12-15-2014).]

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are going to be doing anything with Fiero parts learn what the material is that they are made of.
For instance, the hood and decklid are SMC which you need a special resin or adhesive to bond to it.
johnlp1994

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2014 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnlp1994Send a Private Message to johnlp1994Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking general purpose for working on the fiero
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnlp1994:

What you need to be aware of is the dif shrink/expansion rates of SMC and fiberglass at dif temps.
Also, don't recess metal screws in SMC and then cover them, they will pop up eventually. Use nylon screws instead, they react to temp changes much like SMC.
If it's for a small repair, like a little dent or deep scratch use something like Evercoat's poly-flex and not fiberglass.
If it's for a standoff part like a custom rear, np.
If you ever need replace a big panel like a door skin, save the old one. SMC material is not that easy to find.
Work in a well vented area wiht old clothes and buy a box plastic gloves.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2014 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnlp1994:

This subject gets a lot more complex than you would expect.

http://www.fierosails.com/BodyPanels.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock