87 GT Refresh by WickedFieroGTP
Started on: 12-14-2014 11:03 PM
Replies: 8 (286 views)
Last post by: Irrationable on 12-15-2014 07:31 PM
WickedFieroGTP

Feedback score:    (44)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WickedFieroGTPSend a Private Message to WickedFieroGTPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my 15 year old daughter just got her permit and has been on my but about giving her my GT. That's not gonna happen! Besides it's in the process of getting a 3.8sc installed and there's no way in hell I would put here behind the wheel of that thing. So in my bid for father of the year I picked her up a cheap rust free 87GT auto with a 120k miles.

The plan is to pull the motor and swap in a spare 39k mile motor I have. Put a new pair of shoes on it. Rebuild the suspension, brakes, clean up the interior and throw a nice panel off paint job on it. Of course she has to pay for half the car as well as half the restoration costs. She worked all last summer and will be working this summer. Maybe I'll even be able to get her out in the garage to lend a hand. So without further ado here is the 87 she is getting.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A very nice car.....Would you like to be MY father?

Having gone through this with my son, here is some unsolicited advice.....
The car does not have airbags.....most kids take them for granted and feel safer than they are...
Fieros are VERY low, and a Florida grandma in her Excesscalade on the way home from her liquid lunch may look right over your daughter.

You should go through some extra defensive driver training for these issues, and be prepared for fender benders.
Fiero drivers are naturally cautious, but I think it's a learned skill.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a similar thing for my 15 year old daughter...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094896.html

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 12-15-2014).]

WickedFieroGTP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WickedFieroGTPSend a Private Message to WickedFieroGTPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The car does not have airbags.....most kids take them for granted and feel safer than they are...
Fieros are VERY low, and a Florida grandma in her Excesscalade on the way home from her liquid lunch may look right over your daughter.

You should go through some extra defensive driver training for these issues, and be prepared for fender benders.

I have two kids now and can't afford another one. You're right though in regard to safety. She has a year before she can get here license. That doesn't mean that's when she will get it though. She will have to prove she deserves it.

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

I did a similar thing for my 15 year old daughter...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094896.html

Very nice car. I'm sure she loves it.
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As somebody who's first car was also an 87 GT, let me say congratulations on bringing your daughter into the fiero family!

And you're spot on about having to prove herself before getting the car. Getting in as much driving time with a learner's permit is essential before being allowed to set off on your own. I ended up waiting a few extra months to get my license for this very reason (of course, I was also leaning to drive stick).

------------------
"The Twins"
'87 GT 3.4 pushrod daily driver
'88 GT 3.4 DOHC swap in progress

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Yep....and this is exactly why I have air horns on everything I own. I even installed air horns on the wife's Cabrio and she loves them! In fact, a little too much.
Kit
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking car.

Oh, btw, Ive heard the term panel off paintjob, how is that different than just taking it in and having it all repainted?

[This message has been edited by busa_powered (edited 12-15-2014).]

WickedFieroGTP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WickedFieroGTPSend a Private Message to WickedFieroGTPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Irrationable:

As somebody who's first car was also an 87 GT, let me say congratulations on bringing your daughter into the fiero family!

And you're spot on about having to prove herself before getting the car. Getting in as much driving time with a learner's permit is essential before being allowed to set off on your own. I ended up waiting a few extra months to get my license for this very reason (of course, I was also leaning to drive stick).

I can see me resisting her getting her license until she is at least 17 unless she truly impresses me. On a separate note. I saw you are putting together a few write ups. I'm looking forward to the dash repair one as this car has a few cracks.

Originally posted by busa_powered:

Nice looking car.

Oh, btw, Ive heard the term panel off paintjob, how is that different than just taking it in and having it all repainted?

Makes for a cleaner finished product. No over spray or painted fasteners. Ever seen a repainted car that has paint flaking around the edges of the panels? Panel off helps control this as well.
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am indeed. The dash repair will be my next guide once I finish the steering wheel recovery one (as there seems to be quite a demand on that particular topic).

And you happen to be in luck! In my experience, repairing cracks and repainting the charcoal/light grey interior is a lot easier and cheaper than working with a tan/brown/beechwood interior.

------------------
"The Twins"
'87 GT 3.4 pushrod daily driver
'88 GT 3.4 DOHC swap in progress

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay