Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New idea for 84-87 front upper adjustable ball joints.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
New idea for 84-87 front upper adjustable ball joints. by Rodney
Started on: 12-13-2014 04:08 PM
Replies: 28 (1227 views)
Last post by: Rodney on 02-09-2015 05:22 AM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using the same idea that is used on the 88 upper control arms I have designed paddle nut plates to use with adjustable (slotted) 84-87 front upper ball joints. Makes it a lot easier to do an alignment when you only have to tighten the bolt and not have to use 2 wrenches to tighten the bolt and nut.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_44&products_id=354

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 12-13-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love it. If I still had my 86 I would be all over it.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow fantastic now that I no longer have an 88, but have an 87. Perfect!

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 12-13-2014).]

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why didn't I think of that? Put me down for a set. When do you expect them to be available?
turbo86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be ordering a set as well!
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

Why didn't I think of that? Put me down for a set. When do you expect them to be available?

Why did it take so long for me to think of this??

I should have them in stock by Feb or so. I'll have the plates laser cut soon. They made me 2 samples to check dimensions etc. After I weld the prevailing torque nuts on them they have to go out for zinc plating. The ones in the pictures I painted silver so they look zinc plated.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guess I'll wait a bit before ordering ball joints!

------------------
10.263 @ 134.44MPH - 1.49 60'
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, ARP Rod bolts, otherwise stock L36.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some on hand but not plated. Could be painted. I can send out a few sets N/C for R&D if anyone can install them right away and let us know how they fit/work.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got an '87, but it's not drivable yet. Does that matter?
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some in my cart but had not fully decided to get them. I bought the lowering ball joint quite while ago. I can give a set a try if you want.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 01-24-2015).]

thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool - I think I'll hold off on replacing my tie rods so I can add these into the operation.
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

I've got an '87, but it's not drivable yet. Does that matter?

Does not matter if you can not drive it. Just that you can get them installed so I can get your opinion.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by LornesGT:

I have some in my cart but had not fully decided to get them. I bought the lowering ball joint quite while ago. I can give a set a try if you want.

Send me your name and address in a PM.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a great idea. Can not wait!
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, I sent you a PM.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are sweet. I can feel my knuckles heal a little just looking at them.
You need to set up a kit with new boots and bolts for those who have good ball joints. Can't beat a good OE one if you keep it lubed.
Now just need a cam plate so you don't have to unload the weight to adjust camber, while on an alignment rack.
I could have sworn there used to be something similar to that for the early Chevettes. Came with one of the "problem solver" sets. But those days are loooong gone.
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be rebuilding the suspension on my racer soon and will be using your balljoints and new rubber bushings. I would love to give my feedback at the same time. I can push up the front upper balljoint install to get info and photos quickly. I do not need them to be finished either. I would be happy to order ball joints to go with them at the same time.

Let me know!

Thanks for the great products.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sent out 2 sets on Monday. Those guys should be getting them maybe today. These kits will include new flange bolts. My upper ball joints use 10 x 1.25 hex bolts. I'm not sure what other ball joints use. To be sure they fit I will include new flange bolts. If one orders my ball joints they would have the right bolts so I may also offer them as a stand alone with no bolts if some choose to buy my upper ball joints and use the bolts that are included in my upper ball joints.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received a package today that had the flanges and the bolts. No ball joints.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only sent the plates and bolts. Kinda my mistake. I think I assumed you and the other tester already had replacement ball joints in place. I'm looking to see how the plates fit in the upper arms etc in place of the bolts and nuts that come with replacement ball joints. You should be able to install them to see how they fit?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a problem. Looks like we both made assumptions. I thought your plates went with your specific ball joints, but I never asked to make sure. I should be able to see how the plates and bolts fit tomorrow.
PFF
System Bot
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got back in town and they were here waiting for me. I need to get another car out if the way tomorrow and Sunday, so next weekend for me. I do have your ball joints and the lowering one as well, they are not installed but now I have another reason to get on it. This other than some body mods was next on my agenda anyway. Thanks Rodney, they look top quality to me.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

Not a problem. Looks like we both made assumptions. I thought your plates went with your specific ball joints, but I never asked to make sure. I should be able to see how the plates and bolts fit tomorrow.

They should fit any 84-87 front upper ball joints. They all have the same bolt hole (or slot) centers.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2015 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Using the same idea that is used on the 88 upper control arms I have designed paddle nut plates to use with adjustable (slotted) 84-87 front upper ball joints. Makes it a lot easier to do an alignment when you only have to tighten the bolt and not have to use 2 wrenches to tighten the bolt and nut.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_44&products_id=354

Don't shoot me, as I haven't even looked at my car, are the stock upper ball joints adj. like that or is that just your aftermarket ones that are "slotted"?
I'm guessing the bolt holes in the arm are not slotted, just the ball joint mounting holes? correct?
kool idea as long as the hardware is good, I don't know if it be worth it, but for strength, and clamping force offering up a set that used fine thread grade 8 nut/bolt might be ideal for those that play with setting for track days and then back for street use, just thinking outside the box..
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The OEM factory upper ball joints are not adjustable. Slotted adjustable aftermarket upper ball joints have been around for a very long time now. You do need to make the large center hole elongated to make them be adjustable. In some cases like with lowering springs, drop ball joints and such you will probably need to slot the bolt holes in the upper control arms (generally inward) also. As noted on my web page you should also watch the inner edges of the arms on the ball joint. As you move the ball joint inward you start to move up on an incline some on the upper control arm. In that case you need to grind a bit off the bottom of the arms so the ball joint stays flat on the upper control arms as you move it inward.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't had a chance to pick up new ball joints, but I figured I could install one side to see how the parts fit in a real world situation.

As you can see, I left the A frame on the car. The plate and bolts went right on without any trouble.

The only possible problem I see is when the suspension is fulling extended. The plate may just barely contact the spring, but it may only be an issue if the ball joint is moved toward the center of the car. Even then it doesn't seem like it would be much of an issue.

Not having to put a socket on a bolt head underneath the A frame is a huge plus. Sorry the photos are kind of blurry, it was hard to hold the light and snap the photo while lying on the floor, and still see the view screen through my reading lenses.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 01-31-2015).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quad Raider

865 posts
Member since Dec 2010
The plates are beefy and precisely cut with solid welds holding the nuts in place. The bolts are quite a bit longer than the OEM ones, but that probably doesn't matter.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2015 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finised installing mine today with the 1" lowering ball joint. I like the idea a lot because removal of the old was a pain in the Arse to get a socket under the upper A arm, it takes getting the suspension just right to get it in there.
I had about a 1/4" separation from the spring to the outer portion of the bracket at full extension of the suspension without a wheel, I suppose it would extend a little more with the weight of the wheel. I don't think I will be pulling any Dukes of Hazard jumps so I am not worried about the distance.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to work on this the next few days. They may be OK as I designed them but there seems to possibly be enough room to put a small 90 degree bend in the U section going upwards allowing more space between the paddle nut plate and the spring when the suspension is hanging.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: