Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New to the forum - Help choose my first How-to guide!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
New to the forum - Help choose my first How-to guide! by Irrationable
Started on: 12-07-2014 11:16 PM
Replies: 20 (681 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 12-15-2014 11:33 PM
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey there everybody!
After years of using this forum to aid me in my various fiero-related projects, I decided it was finally time to join the forums myself. Since inheriting my first fiero from my father six years ago at the age of 15, I have tackled many projects and learned a lot along the way. Somewhere along the line, I began photographing and documenting my work with the intention of making it available to others. While much of the work I have done has been documented by other users here on the forum, I've noticed a lack of available information pertaining to a handful of topics.

With all the help that this forum has provided me, I figure its only fair that I give back to this community. Although I intend to do write up a how-to guide for each of these topics in time, I decided that I'd allow my fellow fiero enthusiasts to decide which comes first. Reply with your picks, and I'll begin work in a week or so once final exams are over!

- recovering a GT style wheel in new leather (with guides for both euro and baseball style stitching)
- reparing and painting a cracked/sun-faded dashboard and gauge pod
- reupholstering sun visors yourself for under 20 bucks
- dying interior carpet on a budget
- refurbishing a worn out sunroof shade insert
- fabricating a bezel for flush-mounting an aftermarket radio

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 12-07-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum... as an active member now at least

That is quite the list, and I would love to see each and every one. I would especially love to see the "reparing and painting a cracked/sun-faded dashboard and gauge pod" . Many of us work on our cars, with little interaction from other Fiero owners. It is nice to see how different people tackle the same project from different angles, and there is always something new to be learned!

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. It's always nice to see new blood. I would be interested in the steering wheel recover but I would like to see them all
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

Welcome to the forum. It's always nice to see new blood. I would be interested in the steering wheel recover but I would like to see them all

Welcome to the forum .... me too steering wheel

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

crt454

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
X3 on the steering wheel recover first. Would also like to see the others as well.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had kinda figured that the steering wheel topic might be the most popular, especially given the general lack of information on the subject. Given that I took the most pictures during this project and will be covering another wheel within the next few weeks, this'll probably be the one I go with.

------------------
"The Twins"
'87 GT 3.4 pushrod daily driver
'88 GT 3.4 DOHC swap in progress

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I say the dash, as here in Las Vegas the sun just kills the interior.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cast my vote for the steering wheel recover, mine is so ragged.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was planning to upload a picture of the finished wheel to show you guys how it came out, but I cant seem to get the PIP upload to work right. I keep getting a "unable to connect" message every time I try. Any suggestions?
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I've decided to go ahead with a guide on recovering a GT steering wheel. My last exam is Thursday morning, so my plan is to get the guide and pictures up by this weekend (providing I can figure out how to post pictures by then).

The other good news is that I will be recovering another wheel over Christmas break, so if anybody reads the guide and still has any questions or if some of my pictures from the first wheel aren't clear enough, I'll be able to provide pictures from the second one.

Until then, wish me luck on finals!
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM coming your way
Good luck on finals!
PFF
System Bot
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ha, thanks. So far so good, I've got 3 finals down and 3 more to go!
I sent rbell an email with pictures of the finished wheel and the euro-style stitching to post on this thread for me. Hopefully I can figure out how to get them uploaded myself to do the write up, otherwise this might turn into a collaboration.

------------------
"The Twins"

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Front

Back

Euro-Stitching
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I say the dash, as here in Las Vegas the sun just kills the interior.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sardonyx247, I may do the dash write up this weekend as well now that I managed to get PIP working. I'm going to be pulling my dash out this weekend to wire in my keyless entry system, and I'm planning on hitting it with the UV resistant clearcoat while I have it out of the car.

------------------
"The Twins"

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just talked to Mr. Mikes

The order I placed for leather to do the second wheel got misplaced. We got everything straightened out and the leather should be on its way within the next day or so. So, once the steering wheel guide is up, I can take extra pictures while recovering the second wheel if any of you have questions.

------------------
"The Twins"

Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are already doing it first, but I'll throw my vote for the steering wheel into the ring as well...
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I say the dash, as the sun in Las Vegas just kills the interior.

LOL
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The steering wheel and the dash will definitely be the fist two guides. I've already decided to do the steering wheel first, but the dash will be next on my list. I have done three dashboards so far, with each done slightly different than the others. I will be detailing all three of these when I eventually do the dash guide (hopefully sometime next week)

------------------
"The Twins"

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
And yes, I see what you did there John
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Irrationable:

And yes, I see what you did there John

LOL! Yea, when I read the second one sardonyx247 posted, exactly the same, I just ran with it

Glad to hear. I am curious to see how you mend the cracks, and blend to match the texture of the dash and such.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock