Time for Bulldog to get a new RUFF by bulldog85043
Started on: 12-03-2014 04:45 PM
Replies: 5 (428 views)
Last post by: bulldog85043 on 11-12-2017 05:34 PM
bulldog85043

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, since my car stopped working last year I've been toying around with the idea of replacing the 2.8 that came in my SE. Of all the threads I've read, the first step is to remove the engine. Thanks to the walk-thru provided by Toddster, I'ver got that part completed (almost...).

As you can see I've made some progress toward removing the engine. I ran into a bit of a sticking point when I had the car up on stands...

I'm borrowing a cherry picker from a friend s we can lift the back of the car and get it out the rest of the way

My plans are to do a mild upgrade to the 3.4L from the Camaro/Firebird, change the charging system to the newer version, paint the inside of the engine compartment to match the exterior and overall just make it more reliable.

If anyone in the AZ area knows of a decent 207 V6 that will work for this project, send me an IM?

------------------
~Trevor
1986 Fiero SE
V-6. TH125. Lovin' the sound...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check car-part.com there are about 10 3.4's listed on there in Phoenix. Might want to think about a 4t60 upgrade as well while you got the engine out.
bulldog85043

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hiwil88formula:

Check car-part.com there are about 10 3.4's listed on there in Phoenix. Might want to think about a 4t60 upgrade as well while you got the engine out.

hiwil88formula, thanks for the lead! 5 or 6 are just a few blocks from me so that works out great. I've read about the 4T60 upgrade as well as others. I'm hoping I can minimize the difficulty level.

I'll start searching the threads for the swap and see what problems people had. If I remember, the most difficult thing to overcome was the change in the shifter and a modification to the cradle. I am going to be reusing the original '87 cradle so I think I should be ok.
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's my 4T60 swap thread. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000704.html Lot's of links to other threads and info in there. Most important piece of advice I have for you is stay away from the Cadillac Allante for your transmission donor. Read the thread and you'll find out why. Good luck.

Jim
bulldog85043

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Here's my 4T60 swap thread. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000704.html Lot's of links to other threads and info in there. Most important piece of advice I have for you is stay away from the Cadillac Allante for your transmission donor. Read the thread and you'll find out why. Good luck.

Jim

Nice thread. Great information. I can see that i need to also do the tranny swap to get the most cost/benefit ROI. I'll be using this as a reference and may have a question or two along the way. Thankfully, I'm not too concerned about if I need to weld anything. My first Fiero has a smashed front end up to the radiator mount. Just sliced it off and welded on a donor from the bone yard
bulldog85043

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After SO many years and delays, I FINALLY have my 3800 SC donor! Doing the teardown now to clean it up and check things out. Found some water (?) or oil coming out of the bolt holes on the exhaust manifold when I removed it from the 'front' of the motor. I believe this is between cyl 3 and 5. Should I have the heads checked for cracks?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock