Racing Simulator Fiero Cockpit by radicult
Started on: 12-03-2014 11:23 AM
Replies: 23 (902 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 12-13-2014 01:47 PM
radicult

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for radicultSend a Private Message to radicultEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I've got three great passions; making things, playing games, and driving. Imagine having a Fiero interior to use for racing games.

- use a Logitech G27 wheel for the controls: it comes with a 6 speed shifter, a clutch, and 900 degree rotation.
- build a wooden skeleton to support and mount the dash, center console, and other trim pieces.
- have two different audio systems running; one surround system just for the game, and the other would be a car stereo for music. The two would be completely independent.
- mount screen in front of driver's seat.

It's really easy if you think about it.

Games to play:
Forza 4
Forza Horizon
Forza 5
Forza Horizon 2
Asseto Corsa
Dirt 3
Grid 2
Project CARS
etc.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like simulators as much as the next person. Usually combat flight simulators, but racing, also. I have a stock interior in my Fiero, and am trying to keep it that way.

That having been said, the Fiero's interior isn't something I'd choose. Nothing is laid out for racing. It is a cheap, basic interior. Even the Gen4 Firebirds have a MUCH better interior.

The Fiero is small, cheap, mid-engine, and looks sporty. There isn't much else going for it. My Firehawk would kick the stock Fiero's butt.

If you pick a different interior, it'd be a cool idea.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

That having been said, the Fiero's interior isn't something I'd choose. Nothing is laid out for racing. It is a cheap, basic interior. Even the Gen4 Firebirds have a MUCH better interior.

The Fiero is small, cheap, mid-engine, and looks sporty. There isn't much else going for it. My Firehawk would kick the stock Fiero's butt.

If you pick a different interior, it'd be a cool idea.

Woah, I think you've got the wrong idea. Sure, the fiero interior is made of plastics that probably once held tic-tacks. But it sure is easy to customize and is very spacious compared to corvettes. A G1 dashboard kit gives the interior a whole new light and really adds to the car, but it certainly isn't necessary.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure I'd be keen on using the Fiero interior considering its not exactly in most racing games haha.

Woah you can't be serious, my Trans Am was a cheap pile of crap rattle trap inside compared to my Fiero. The dash cracked 3" from sitting in the sun for 2 weeks, the headrests were rock hard and would flop around along with the seatbacks, the hatch would make all sorts of squeaks, etc. Fiero was dead silent, MUCH more spacious, and fit better ergonomically IMO.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1997 Firehawk. Outdoor kept. No interior problems. The interior fit me like a glove. I wish I could have that interior in a Fiero. My 2003 Vibe, on the other hand, had all sorts of interior problems.

Oh, interiors may come in different grades. The Firehawks got the best of everything available. Was your TA the upgraded interior?

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 12-03-2014).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the Fiero dash would be one of the last dashes I'd use for a driving simulator setup. The dashes in those builds are supposed to be relatively simple with maybe the most wild thing on them speaker mounts that are sometimes integrated into the car's stock locations, and on the Fiero dash the large protruding gauge pod may hamper with how the steering wheel controller would mount.

If I were building a budget simulator and just absolutely had to have a dash I'd probably use one out of a small modern car, like a Miata, slicing off the passenger side and reworking the center console to accept the gear shift controller.
radicult

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radicultSend a Private Message to radicultEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are other cars that I would consider, but the idea of the Fiero would be that you could feel like you're driving your beloved Fiero on tracks you'll never get to drive on. Honestly I like the interior.

I've also looked at using a 2g Eclipse interior. I like the swooping center console.
radicult

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radicultSend a Private Message to radicultEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

radicult

14 posts
Member since Aug 2012

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

I think the Fiero dash would be one of the last dashes I'd use for a driving simulator setup. The dashes in those builds are supposed to be relatively simple with maybe the most wild thing on them speaker mounts that are sometimes integrated into the car's stock locations, and on the Fiero dash the large protruding gauge pod may hamper with how the steering wheel controller would mount.

If I were building a budget simulator and just absolutely had to have a dash I'd probably use one out of a small modern car, like a Miata, slicing off the passenger side and reworking the center console to accept the gear shift controller.

You'd have to add a shaft to the wheel and extend the wires. The actual hub would reside behind the pedals.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Way back when (2002?) I used a Fiero Steering wheel on a Logitech force feedback wheel (had cables instead of gears for the feedback) it was pretty fun.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Way back when (2002?) I used a Fiero Steering wheel on a Logitech force feedback wheel (had cables instead of gears for the feedback) it was pretty fun.

That would be cool!

I built a small ”truck” for my son. Rather than have stickers for the gauges, I used knobs and things I pulled from various cars. So, it has a real steering wheel, a real instrument cluster, working headlight control, a 4wd selector, a real radio, and a real gear shift knob.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1997 Firehawk. Outdoor kept. No interior problems. The interior fit me like a glove. I wish I could have that interior in a Fiero. My 2003 Vibe, on the other hand, had all sorts of interior problems.

'95 WS6 with leather and all options apart from power seats and being manual. My friend's '00 WS6 similarly optioned apart from being auto was just as much of a turd inside. Both cars in great condition overall, I hunted on and on trying to fix all those rattles. From using sticky foam, to rubber strips and other types of installation.. More would just pop up from different spots. I liked the general layout from the driver's POV, I HATED riding as a passenger with that hump there. Great design for the most part, poor execution. All the Fieros I've been in were much better in terms of material quality, along with fit and finish.
PFF
System Bot
LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I race strictly iRacing and have a full blown sim cockpit i have about 4 grand tied up in this thing, and have often thought about making the Fiero interior,, i think it would be way cool
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, that annoying hump sucked...for the passenger.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1997 Firehawk. Outdoor kept. No interior problems. The interior fit me like a glove. I wish I could have that interior in a Fiero.

You can... the Firebird interior fits the inside of the Fiero like a glove.

I was hoping someone had built one of these simulators by now. I have enough parts to build an actual Fiero in my living room it already looks like a simulator. All I need to do is connect it to a game system.

an oldie but goodie

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen the Firebird interior in a Fiero, but my current Fiero is keeping the stock look, for now. My understanding is that the interior swap takes about 200 hours. Steering column in wrong place, other small issues. I don't know how the center console works.

Is that center console as nice as it looks?

Not married, I take it?

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 12-06-2014).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've seen the Firebird interior in a Fiero, but my current Fiero is keeping the stock look, for now. My understanding is that the interior swap takes about 200 hours. Steering column in wrong place, other small issues. I don't know how the center console works.

Is that center console as nice as it looks?

Not married, I take it?

That picture is about 12 years old... my house is much more full of Fiero parts now... no I'm not married.

When I was designing my Firebird interior in about 2002 I built several interior mockups in the house.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 12-06-2014).]

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow man you got it bad hehehe... Nice! Peace

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
CNC Machining and prototyping
Maryville, Tennessee

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question: if you make a Fiero racing simulator, do the speakers go behind you? Except maybe the smallest set, I guess.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would put the speakers in the dash and also in the seats. That would be cool.
radicult

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radicultSend a Private Message to radicultEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
5.1 system in and around the car; the front set in the dash with the center under the vent, the rear set behind the seats, and butt kickers mounted all around for the lows.
A separate system for music, probably just LR and a sub.
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fiero interior would be cool indeed, but and this is going to be a HUGE but, you're going to have issue marketing this for next gen consoles. There is no decent steering wheel and pedal set-up for the xbox one or the PS4. And the current wheels, like the Logitech G27 and the Fanatec wheel aren't compatible for the PS4 or the Xbox one.

If you're looking to do it for yourself, awesome! But if you're trying to sell it, you're going to run into a heap of problems. The fiero is a niche market in itself, and the market of us that have a racing setup for our consoles/PCs is even smaller, and the market is getting even smaller with no decent steering wheel/pedal setup for new systems coming out.
PFF
System Bot
radicult

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for radicultSend a Private Message to radicultEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy 3rd party adaptera to make the g27 work with consoles. Ive seen some in action and there is no processing lag to speak of.

Edit: I also would not sell it. This is just a project for me.

Sent via mobile

[This message has been edited by radicult (edited 12-13-2014).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many years ago, I made a racing simulator that was a sit-in model. I used a real steering wheel coupled to the guts of a PC steering wheel base. Since the real steering wheel was heavier than the plastic wheels that come with the pc simulator, I added a slip clutch so I didn't turn the wheel and destroy the entire plastic base. Also I used real pedals with the entire assembly that I removed from a junkyard Fiat. The unit had 5.1 surround sound and I took 2 LCD monitors, removed them from the factory plastic housing and mounted them edge to edge so there was no big plastic housing separating them. It looked like you were sitting in a car with a split windshield and the thin edge of each LCD really didn't distract you during the game. I also used a simple Ebay racing seat on tracks. You step into the machine, sit down, close the door to where the entire inside was pitch black, and enjoy the game. I wish I had taken pictures before I sold the thing. It weighed about 280lbs and took up most of my living room so the wife said it had to go
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I WISH I was fortunate enough to have a large man cave, and an large budget..... I have a parts car ready to go to the scrap yard:

I could see cutting off the front and back, removing the windows, sandblasting the whole thing and cleaning it all up. Replace the windows with LED monitors (Think the new curved ones for the front windshield) . If a PC were used, it would not be hard at all to hook up every switch and button in the car to function. Use a 12v power supply, and use a stock radio, dome lights ect. I actually have a rear-view mirror here, that is a LCD monitor, that could be installed and use a feed to show a "real" rear view mirror. I would imagine you could create an adapter for the end of the steering column to turn the mechanism on a dissembled gaming wheel. Lastly hook the pedals as well to gaming ones, and maybe a large spring to give the "real feel"

Now THAT would be a simulator!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock