What could have been, Pontiac Banshee! by BrittB
Started on: 12-01-2014 03:05 PM
Replies: 34 (1465 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 12-12-2014 11:39 AM
BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's fun to wonder if the Fiero would have been somewhat like this in later generations. I think we all know the answers to what the future could have held but this video is still fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9R1bvIXPkQ
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-01-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most every car in GM's line-up today, has features that were prototyped in the Banshee, as standard equipment.

It goes without saying that if the Fiero were still being produced, it would have those things now as well.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4th gen Bird was based on this car.

But the Banshee was just a show car and really had only reality in the ideas and not so much in the execution.

I have seen this car and while the option ideas were later used and show cased there little of the styling would have worked even toned down a lot. This was one of the last real dream cars as GM started going to show cars that were much closer to production soon after this car arrived.

Note too the GM 80 platform version of the original 1990's GTO concept not the blocky orange one shared some of the styling with this too. It was one step closer to production but it too would have been toned down more. It was AWD too.
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ouch! Did you guys see the poor fitment of the dash panels? I hope no car inherited that shoddy fitment.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 1964 Pontiac Banshee XP-833 sure looks like a cross between the '68 Vette and the Opel GT. The same stylist must've been involved with all three cars.

Gotta say that I don't like the Pontiac treatment of the rear end though.

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the silver model (Skip to 1:21 , or use link at bottom.)

http://youtu.be/7DBDWWcx7R0?t=1m21s

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 12-01-2014).]

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Pontiac Banshee and the Corvette Indy came out about the same time but didn't really get too far. Wonder whatever happened to them?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

The Pontiac Banshee and the Corvette Indy came out about the same time but didn't really get too far. Wonder whatever happened to them?

They are resting today with the 1990 GT in the GM historic collection.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

5995 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by Patrick:

The 1964 Pontiac Banshee XP-833 sure looks like a cross between the '68 Vette and the Opel GT. The same stylist must've been involved with all three cars.

Gotta say that I don't like the Pontiac treatment of the rear end though.

The 64 car was started in 1962-63 by John Delorean and was built and designed by Bill Collins of Pontiac. Keep in mind GM was just launching the 63 Split window Vette.

Delorean was targeting the Mustang with this car as it was priced with in $100 of the stang but Chevy wanted Pontiac to have no part of this car. Sounds familiar does it not?

Anyway this car was not killed as it never even had a chance. Both the coupe and convertible were created up by Collins and were intentionally lost in the Tech center storage where they were later sold and purchased buy Collins and another employee that was alerted to what was inside the create.

As for the 68 Vette it was not designed by the same person but it is accepted by the Corvette people as being an influence on the new car and to this day is the only non Corvette car ever invited to the Bloomington Gold meet the grandest Corvette gathering in the world.

The same for the 68 Opel as it carries similar lines but was not designed by the same guy.

Both cars today are owned by private collectors.

Note the tail panel was directly carried over to the 68 Firebird and GTO by Deloreans call.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:
The 64 car was started in 1962-63 by John Delorean and was built and designed by Bill Collins of Pontiac. Keep in mind GM was just launching the 63 Split window Vette.

Delorean was targeting the Mustang with this car as it was priced with in $100 of the stang but Chevy wanted Pontiac to have no part of this car. Sounds familiar does it not?

Anyway this car was not killed as it never even had a chance. Both the coupe and convertible were created up by Collins and were intentionally lost in the Tech center storage where they were later sold and purchased buy Collins and another employee that was alerted to what was inside the create.

As for the 68 Vette it was not designed by the same person but it is accepted by the Corvette people as being an influence on the new car and to this day is the only non Corvette car ever invited to the Bloomington Gold meet the grandest Corvette gathering in the world.

The same for the 68 Opel as it carries similar lines but was not designed by the same guy.

Both cars today are owned by private collectors.

Note the tail panel was directly carried over to the 68 Firebird and GTO by Deloreans call.

Good stuff.

I see some of that car int the 70+ Bird too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-02-2014).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WoW! Before texting and driving.... there were steering wheels with 26 buttons on them! LOL!

PFF
System Bot
davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think a airplane has that many buttons! Johnyrottin can give us some info on that. Wild car it could have been.

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 12-02-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2014 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
WoW! Before texting and driving.... there were steering wheels with 26 buttons on them! LOL!

Between all the buttons on the steering wheel, dash (right behind the steering wheel), door panel, and seat, in my Avalanche, there are just as many buttons. And that's the Chevy. The Cadillac Escalade Platinum has a few more buttons with a heated steering wheel and such.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pontiac for years were mocked for all the buttons in a SSEI. My SSEI had something like 8 plus buttons just for the power seats in the console. It looked like a calculator.
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

It's fun to wonder if the Fiero would have been somewhat like this in later generations. I think we all know the answers to what the future could have held but this video is still fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9R1bvIXPkQ

Great video! The 88 Banshee is still one of my all time favorite cars. Absolutely beautiful from every angle, and the peek of 80's "futuristic" styling.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edit oops, I was wrong on that. So lets just leave it at that.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 12-07-2014).]

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Everyone has seen Knight Rider 2000 havn't you........ That is the car they used in the Movie as the NEW, KITT its an 80's / 90's B movie, but still nice to see the car used a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0EZNGHCS8s

If I recall correctly, the new KITT was made to look like the Banshee, but was actually a Dodge Stealth dressed up to look like the Bsnshee.
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you are right on the stealth part. I watched it not too long ago and was a little dissapointed that when he (kitt) stomped on the gas, it was front wheel drive.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

If I recall correctly, the new KITT was made to look like the Banshee, but was actually a Dodge Stealth dressed up to look like the Bsnshee.

yup.
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dodge Stealth notwithstanding, the Banshee does make an appearance (a couple in fact) in both Back to the Future II and Demolition Man.

Curious... does anyone know where the Banshee is now? Is it in a GM museum, or was it ever auctioned off to a private owner?

It wouldn't be a great daily driver, but what a conversation piece if you took it to a car show!
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look what I found on line...

Anyone have one ?

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 12-04-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I built one along time ago.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Banshee was in Back to the Future II (1989)

Right near the beginning of the movie - Doc and Marty have just landed in the back alley in "the future", the rain has stopped and they've exited the Time Machine.

Marty looks down the alley toward the old Town Hall and the Banshee drives by.

Other cars in the movie: http://www.imcdb.org/movie_...-Future-Part-II.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-07-2014).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Right near the beginning of the movie - Doc and Marty have just landed in the back alley in "the future", the rain has stopped and they've exited the Time Machine.

Who knew that by 2015 Pontiac would be long gone?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wrong info above has been removed sorry about that, and really disappointing to find that out.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

CharlieHorse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CharlieHorseSend a Private Message to CharlieHorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Frankly I think the car is hideous. What good lines it has are lost in the sea of bleh. Nothing about it makes for a good sports car, from what I can see. Rather, they play with luxury quirks like motorized (heavy) interior adjusters and putting as many buttons on it's dash as they can. It probably has 800 miles of wires bundled up behind the dashboard. By the way, their GPS navigation system has got to be a lie, because computers back then took twenty minutes to render one single frame of that type of animation... Not to mention the way it was showing other vehicles, complete with 3D representations of their shape... and I don't think there was a roadway database like there is now. 4 seats? Nope. And what about those "recessed" wheels? I hate that look, where they stick the body 5 inches out over the wheels. I guess they didn't have the "Pontiac Wide Track" back then. I do like the shape of the wheelwells otherwise. I bet its very heavy, handles like a dog, overheats, uses parts from a Chevette, and could be out run by a VW Bug. Hum now that I think about it, back in the day I never saw that car being shown on the track or other such bragging rites.

Ok, I'm frumpy about GM and their 'concept cars' that didn't seem to have a goal other than to be weird. That car would only be fun for getting looks, but not so great to drive.

I give the Banshee a 2 out of 5 stars. It is obese, confused, and unrealistic. I will not ride that Pontiac.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CharlieHorse:

Nothing about it makes for a good sports car, from what I can see.

Hum now that I think about it, back in the day I never saw that car being shown on the track or other such bragging rites.

Was this version of the Banshee foreseen as a "sports car"... or was it perhaps more so a glimpse into the future? Not every car is designed for the track.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CharlieHorse:...

I bet its very heavy, handles like a dog, overheats, uses parts from a Chevette, and could be out run by a VW Bug.

You just described the 4 cylinder Fiero
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2014 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Was this version of the Banshee foreseen as a "sports car"... or was it perhaps more so a glimpse into the future? Not every car is designed for the track.

It was a performance commuter vehicle concept. It was to showcase design and technology that Pontiac, at the time, thought would be relevant 15-20 years in the future, and which they wanted to bring to the F-body platform.

And if you look at the current Corvette, ATS, or Suburban/Escalade, they have every single feature shown in the Banshee, save for speakers embedded in the seat, and side mirror delete. Seat speakers was an 80s/90s novelty that nobody does any more, and side mirrors are a major safety concern, for which no manufacturer has a feasible plan to replace on a wide production scale. The current GM lineup though, also has a lot more features than what were shown in the Banshee. DVD, BluRay, USB, Bluetooth, and so many other technologies, didn't exist, or were not thought to be fiscally viable for production vehicles.

If the Banshee were to be built today, the exterior might look roughly the same, but the interior, ergonomics, suspension, and powertrain would all be quite different.
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

You just described the 4 cylinder Fiero

Well played.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Look what I found on line...

Anyone have one ?

I have one still in the box.
PFF
System Bot
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I have one still in the box.

You have a PM.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To me it just looks like another variation of a Vette.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Wasn't one of the Fiero prototypes in that movie also?

Edit: Found a picture of it, although it's not the picture I remember seeing. It's the 90 prototype in grey, last in the line of the cars on the left.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 12-12-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Edit: Found a picture of it, although it's not the picture I remember seeing. It's the 90 prototype in grey, last in the line of the cars on the left.

Very cool I never knew that!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock