Started on: 12-01-2014 09:26 AM
Replies: 15 (694 views)
Last post by: Big Paul on 12-11-2014 08:25 PM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just one of the things I love about my Fiero...St Louis area had some freezing rain to deal with today. When you turn on the windshield defroster the small space inside the car gets really warm really fast! The windshield, windows, rear glass, and sunroof melt so fast compared to my other cars. It is always the car the clearest the quickest.

P.S.: It works even better when I don't forget to put her in the garage for the night (oops...)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's small size helps.

I had to clean off 2 American-made mountain-mobiles. The ice melted off the driving lights before the defrosters kicked in.

Yes, the Fiero heats right up.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Powerstroke didn't have much trouble heating things up. Block heaters rule!

It was slick out this morning. I hope you guys got to work OK.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problems here. Then again, I went to work early enough that the roads had not gotten icy yet. Just a basic Chevy Aveo here.
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:
Just one of the things I love about my Fiero...St Louis area had some freezing rain to deal with today. When you turn on the windshield defroster the small space inside the car gets really warm really fast! The windshield, windows, rear glass, and sunroof melt so fast compared to my other cars.

johnyrottin, from first seeing only the title of your thread, "This morning in my American built automobile...freezing rain", I'd mistakenly thought you'd somehow gotten freezing rain inside your Fiero.

Now THAT would have been bad, but not that unusual if you had a leak-prone car as bad as my friend's Fiat 128 (I think was the model) of years and tears ago in Minneapolis. That Fiat had a sunroof that was truly gawdawful. It leaked rain or melting snow seemingly almost year-round in Minneapolis, and probably spent more time in repair shops than it ever spent on the road.

Then there was the old Volkswagen Beetle we had for carpooling to work.

The good news was that with its skinny tires, that old VW Beetle could plow through just about any snow Mother Nature could throw at us during the winter.

The bad news was although that old VW Beetle had a tiny interior that one understandably might think would heat up quickly, it also had an OEM heater that was absurdly ineffectual.

That Beetle's heater was so-o-o ineffective, that to increase the driver's ability to actually see through the windshield where we were going, that I would --- for the driver's benefit, and my own peace of mind and safety --- spontaneously and repeatedly scrape the INSIDE of the Beetle's windshield from frost or ice while we were driving, using my hard plastic ID card from work, which was a near-perfect size for that task.

Because of those memorable, trepidation-inducing experiences, I appreciate and understand, perhaps more so than do most, your smile-inducing observations regarding how quickly a Fiero's interior heats up the car during cold weather.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The side window defrost doesn't work so well. All I had to do was turn on the big guns ( regular air vents) and point them toward the window while I cleaned of the windshield, open the doors and slide the window down and push the ice off. The little mirrors on the other hand are a pain in the butt. Can't wait to swap out to my heated mirrors but the engine is first.
I would not of had to clean it off if I had drove the truck home instead of the GT.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 12-12-2014).]

jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy Crap Alan posted on here!! Long time no see buddy!! Stop by and see Johns car We have got pretty far on it!
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob, I should do that, but probably after I get a few other things done first.

If I'm correct that the gentleman you're referring to goes by the user name, "johnnyrottin", wasn't he going to get his Fiero chopped?

Whether I'm correct about that or not, it's always good to hear from you!

Also, if I may ask, how are things going with the shop you'd once planned to open up? Keep in mind that if you expect to succeed with that endeavor, you probably should NOT render invisible to potential customers your shop's entranceway by completely plastering over that entranceway with all those damned black-and-white "Fox Valley Fieros" stickers I've always razzed you about because of how well they match your white Fiero, but not my red one.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

Rob, I should do that, but probably after I get a few other things done first.

If I'm correct that the gentleman you're referring to goes by the user name, "johnnyrottin", wasn't he going to get his Fiero chopped?

Whether I'm correct about that or not, it's always good to hear from you!

Also, if I may ask, how are things going with the shop you'd once planned to open up? Keep in mind that if you expect to succeed with that endeavor, you probably should NOT render invisible to potential customers your shop's entranceway by completely plastering over that entranceway with all those damned black-and-white "Fox Valley Fieros" stickers I've always razzed you about because of how well they match your white Fiero, but not my red one.

No luck getting the shop going just yet, I have been dealing with baby moma dram for the past year and Lawyers have all but consumed that budget. Yup, Johny's car is here already chopped and the body is on and the engine is in and running! Final body work is just around the corner this spring then paint. Far as stickers hmmmmm but black and white goes with everything!! lol
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive gotten 1/2" of ice on windshield, but it melts off the rear glass in a minute or two from engine heat. Never used a defroster ever. Never took more than a few minutes of driving to get heat going good for the front and side windows.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got curious about the snow and ice so I went out and started my daughters gt with 4 inches of snow with ice underneath. It was melting within ten minutes and easily cleared off but......the side windows seemed to stay fogged up till the car fully warmed up. Looking it over it seems the little vents for the windows just do not put out enough air to help until it's really warm.
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ill bet the riots were pretty quiet to
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't had working heat or AC in my cars for years. But they are fast, that counts for something right.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
" . Looking it over it seems the little vents for the windows just do not put out enough air to help until it's really warm. "

You sure you set the controls right for defroster/ upper heat ? I never had any issue with the side windows on either of mine.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

" . Looking it over it seems the little vents for the windows just do not put out enough air to help until it's really warm. "

You sure you set the controls right for defroster/ upper heat ? I never had any issue with the side windows on either of mine.

The day I tried it we had a ton of Ice fog. I live right next to Lake Winnebago, if you have ever flown into Oshkosh for the show it's the big puddle to your right. I suspect all the moisture in the air had something to do with it. I have not driven it since but... ran it plenty of times to clear the snow off and it has kept up defrosting these times. This is a new car to the bunch so working out the kinks yet. One thing I noticed the blower seems to lack a high speed I will fix that this spring.
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just be careful when scraping off the ice. I was clearing my drivers side window last year and slipped and fell into the sail panel on my GT. Put a huge crack right down the middle...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock