My foam car by cvalvarez77
Started on: 11-16-2014 10:50 PM
Replies: 25 (1669 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 06-23-2015 07:27 PM
cvalvarez77

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvalvarez77Send a Private Message to cvalvarez77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys,

I've been working on my car for a good 2 months now (no more than 6 hours a week) and I wanted to show you guys my progress. Primarily looking for feedback on how to duplicate panels for the other side of the car. I'm guessing my best bet would be to use a contouring gauge but I just wanted to see if you guys had any other techniques. I started out with a cardboard mock up and then moved to Great Stuff foam. So far I'm digging it but still making improvements along the way Any input is appreciated.

Cardboard mock up

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stop that! Stop that NOW!! People like you keep raising the bar for the rest of us. That car is going to look awesome. Please don't get half way through and then quit posting pics. Can't wait to see this finished.
cvalvarez77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvalvarez77Send a Private Message to cvalvarez77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

Stop that! Stop that NOW!! People like you keep raising the bar for the rest of us. That car is going to look awesome. Please don't get half way through and then quit posting pics. Can't wait to see this finished.

I only plan on stopping when its finished! My wife and I are having a baby in the next few days so I probably won't work on if for the next 2 weeks but I don't plan on stopping. I'm going to fit the taillights next and then start working on the front end. So far I've learned to work with the foam pretty well so I can fabricate things fairly quickly. I started the rear bumper this morning, which looked like the left half of the picture, and was able to carve out the general shape in a few hours. I also studied sculpting for 4 years so I'm sure that helps a little
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A trick I learned from another forum is to use drywall compound to make the slugs for molds. It works and sands real easy, I used that trick to make fender extensions to replace what the PO had hacked off with a sawzall. I also used a lot of foam to fill the gaps between the Fiero frame and the Kelmark body.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i like where you are going.

great minds think alike.

i too plan on tricking out my rear bumper as well.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 11-17-2014).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvalvarez77:

My wife and I are having a baby in the next few days so I probably won't work on if for the next 2 weeks but I don't plan on stopping.

Heh heh... you might be surprised how quickly priorities can change.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

oooooyes lol.,,,,the passion remains but the time and money becomes a challenge. Raising my 6 month and 2 and a half year old daughters.

Congratulations and looking forward to seeing your progress.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 11-17-2014).]

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many cans have you used so far? I would rather just buy Archie's wide body but I am. Jot sure it will be available when I am ready.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2014 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hawt. Love the "reverse chop".
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't put fibreglass resin right on top of the foam. Unless it's a two part, it's going to melt and turn into a real mess. Trust me, I know.

------------------

mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2014 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

How many cans have you used so far? I would rather just buy Archie's wide body but I am not sure it will be available when I am ready.

It's not available now is it?
PFF
System Bot
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A quote from his retirement thread below.

I don't know, I thought I made it clear but maybe I haven't.

I'm not totally retiring or quitting. I call it semi-retiring.

I'm still going to be selling the various V-8 kits & the 6 speed kits. I still have a bunch of that stuff in stock & I'm selling that stuff from stock even as I make the move.

The Mad-Arch WideBody kits & the headliners, Battery Trays, Warber Scoops, interior kits & other small Fiberglass parts are going with me to LV & will be back in production by July.

If I ever do totally retire, I would find someone to carry the torch from there.

If someone wants or needs a Fino/Finale or one of the F kits (as I call them), I can direct them to the people who can make those parts for them.

Otherwise all my other products are still available thru me.

So, never fear, Archie will still be here. I just won't be building a bunch of Turn-Key stuff in house like I have for the last several years..

Archie
mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-20-2014 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right, but call him and ask if he has any available. Laat I saw posted he doesn't.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I will be doing what this guy is doing.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the baby has arrived!
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-27-2014 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mental floss:

Right, but call him and ask if he has any available. Laat I saw posted he doesn't.

He should have them again soon. Last I saw in his thread, he's working on getting suppliers lined up in the Vegas area, so he can sell those parts again. Same with the V8 kits.
agfracing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for agfracingSend a Private Message to agfracingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought a v8 kit from archie in november. It took a few weeks but I got one.
mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-28-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

He should have them again soon. Last I saw in his thread, he's working on getting suppliers lined up in the Vegas area, so he can sell those parts again. Same with the V8 kits.

Yes, that's the same thing I was told on the phone in August.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2014 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
His retirement thread he posted not long ago that he has 2 widebodys ready now and the price will be going up after the first of the year.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvalvarez77:

My wife and I are having a baby in the next few days so I probably won't work on if for the next 2 weeks but I don't plan on stopping.

Originally posted by LornesGT:

I think the baby has arrived!

The original poster should be back in about five years.
PFF
System Bot
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvalvarez77 on 11-16-2014:

I only plan on stopping when its finished! My wife and I are having a baby in the next few days so I probably won't work on if for the next 2 weeks but I don't plan on stopping....

Hah!

cvalvarez77 posted his "2 weeks" comment which I've mentioned immediately above, more than 2 months ago, back on November 16 of 2014.

Patrick, that would make your comment re cvalvarez77, on November 17 of 2014, which I've quoted immediately below, a very prescient one.

Originally posted by Patrick on 11-17-2014:

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

Patrick, that would make your comment re cvalvarez77, on November 17 of 2014, which I've quoted immediately below, a very prescient one.

Yeah, well... who didn't see that one coming?
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, well... who didn't see that one coming?

In answer to your question, that actually would be the OP, cvalvarez.

He'd confidently asserted back on November 16 2014 --- 2-1/2 months ago:

Originally posted by cvalvarez on 11-16-2014:

I only plan on stopping when its finished! My wife and I are having a baby in the next few days so I probably won't work on if for the next 2 weeks but I don't plan on stopping....

Yeah, right.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

In answer to your question, that actually would be the OP, cvalvarez.

Yeah, I suppose so... but let's cut the poor guy some slack. He's probably up to his elbows in poopy diapers.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bump !

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock