Who made these ? by racingfortheson
Started on: 11-11-2014 12:04 AM
Replies: 12 (744 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 11-17-2014 06:53 AM
racingfortheson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are these still available?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here. Style #1.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do they aid in cooling with the open area?
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Do they aid in cooling with the open area?

I think they might. When you're moving I believe air sucked downward through the grills into the engine bay and toward the bottom of the car. Then when you're idling it's venting out/up obviously.

I think they might help, although you'd have to test with a temp sensor and compare to stock. A smoke test in a wind tunnel would be cool to see the difference in how the air travels around the car.

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

Are these still available?

I think these are excellent. A really innovation design. Kudos to the guy that came up with this idea.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

I think they might. When you're moving I believe air sucked downward through the grills into the engine bay and toward the bottom of the car.

Actually, the air goes the other way. There is a vacuum created behind the back window (at speed) that pulls air up from the engine......hot air likes to go up anyway...I don't think this sail panel would change anything.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-11-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-11-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

I think they might. When you're moving I believe air sucked downward through the grills into the engine bay and toward the bottom of the car. Then when you're idling it's venting out/up obviously.

I think they might help, although you'd have to test with a temp sensor and compare to stock. A smoke test in a wind tunnel would be cool to see the difference in how the air travels around the car.

No, air always vents out of the decklid vents, unless you install scoops that force air into them, to disrupt the flow. As air flows over the vents, it "pulls" air up through them.

I can't tell from those pics if it will help or not, but I'd lean more toward the not helping side of things. Having a big hole where the car body was not designed to have one, is more likely to disrupt the flow, than improve it.

This video shows pretty well how the air flows up and out of the vents. If the air were flowing into the vents, you would see the yarn flip around and lead forward, rather than to the rear, or upward as in the modified vent.

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

This video shows pretty well how the air flows up and out of the vents. If the air were flowing into the vents, you would see the yarn flip around and lead forward, rather than to the rear, or upward as in the modified vent.
]

Looks like an easy test for someone that has these panels on their GT. Attach some paper tabs/yarn and see how they act. Anyone? Even someone that has no panels on their 86-88 GT. Would probably yield similar results.

Maybe someone that has OEM GT quarter panels could do the paper tab/yarn test also so we could compare.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 03-19-2015).]

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually made those panels back in 2002. I have had them for sale now for about 8-9 years. The biggest advantage to this design is that it gives you easy reach through access to the engine bay. Removing a battery is sooooooo much easier cause you can reach through the opening. Same with air filter access and relays for the ac and fuel pump.

I do not know if it allows for better air draw from the engine bay or not. Air vents outward from the vents and I would guess that if air is flowing over the vents toward the back of the car, it would create a suction type effect and help aid with air venting. I however do not know this as fact. I can say that I have never had a problem with anything related to these in 12 years of using them.

The ones pictured are covered with convertible top material and a Grand AM GT Emblem applied. These are fiberglass and can be finished with paint or material of your choice.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 11-11-2014).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a track instructor tell me ... the story goes like this, he had scoops for the sail panels and had them tapped up at the track, I asked him why, he said they heat up the engine bay when open, as with the scoops it doesn't create the low pressure area behind the windows to draw up air through the vents. That was also heavy track use.

I do know there is a good amount of air coming UP through the vents as I have my intercooler under the drivers side, and at highway speeds there is a good amount of air flow, not so much at the lower speeds. I have watched my intake temps drop at higher speeds, due to the intercooler and logging.

Edit to add: they do look nice though.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 11-13-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

I had a track instructor tell me ... the story goes like this, he had scoops for the sail panels and had them tapped up at the track, I asked him why, he said they heat up the engine bay when open, as with the scoops it doesn't create the low pressure area behind the windows to draw up air through the vents. That was also heavy track use.

I do know there is a good amount of air coming UP through the vents as I have my intercooler under the drivers side, and at highway speeds there is a good amount of air flow, not so much at the lower speeds. I have watched my intake temps drop at higher speeds, due to the intercooler and logging.

Edit to add: they do look nice though.

Looks to me that these or the scoops would make the air flow like a notch back and they don't have more over heating problems then a GT

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They will not hurt cooling but they will not help it either.

The air comes up from under the car ands out the top. Unless you disrupt the flow under the car or in the compartment to not make a positive pressure under the hood or a positive over it this flow should continue.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock