getrag seals help by jon m
Started on: 11-07-2014 09:33 AM
Replies: 6 (153 views)
Last post by: Kevin87FieroGT on 11-10-2014 02:48 PM
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi - I am asking for a bit of help on where I can get the seal where the axles/cv joints go into the gearbox on my 87 getrag.

any opinions welcomed

jon
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Store, Rock Auto, or any parts store. They are very common and called axle seals.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 11-07-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also See my Cave, Axle

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

Fiero Store, Rock Auto, or any parts store. They are very common and called axle seals.

Or output shaft seals
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help so far - I checked on the fierostore's website this morning and found that the set for a 4speed and automatic looks like the ones on my 5speed - would this be possible ? and if so would the leek a little oil ???

here's the fierostore's link to compare http://www.fierostore.com/Product/Search.aspx
Little background

at the moment I have removed the sump, water pump and timing chain cover and will replace with new gaskets as I suspected I have a very small oil leek which I want to get rid of completely.
so whilst removing the sump/oilpan I did notice the axle seals and thought while I am at it I will order some - hence the start of this thread on where to get them.

so if the seals for a 4sp are different to a 5sp and my 5sp has the 4sp installed this could be where the leek is coming from

does anyone have a pic of their getrag 5sp seals available to compare?
All opinions welcomed

thanks so far
Jon

[This message has been edited by jon m (edited 11-10-2014).]

Ponzerelli

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PonzerelliSend a Private Message to PonzerelliEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.fierostore.com/P...%20%205SPD&d=162&p=1

I think these are the ones you'll need
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use Timken #3543. Same for both sides of trans. During install use just a little black RTV for the outer seal (casing) seat to the Trans. Also, put some grease on the inner rubber seal prior to installing the axles. Yo might also clean the axles where they meet the seal with some very fine sand paper or Emory cloth prior to install, they need to be very clean.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 11-10-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock