Started on: 11-05-2014 04:16 PM
Replies: 20 (665 views)
Last post by: smartaxel on 11-08-2014 10:48 PM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After getting burned by "he who shall not be named" I was wondering who would you have do a T-Top install on a Fiero? I have never had one done and I in no way have the skills to tackle the job myself. Thus, if I was to go ahead with it I would have to have someone else do the actual install. Who would you recommend?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-05-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a car that already has t-tops installed, or a kit, already? I'd try to get all the parts you need first, as they can by very hard to find, and it might take quite a while to get them all.

I'd probably do it myself, or take my car to Outlaws Customs (http://outlawsrc.com/) and have it done there. Probably too far from you, though.

Do the guys that did all the body work for Archie open up their own shop up there after Archie closed up shop and moved to Vegas? They might be able to do it if so (if their portfolio of work is up to your standards, and you trust them).
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honestly it doesn't look that hard to do yourself - I would attempt it myself (and would have had I found a t-top to use on my 86 before I sold it). It looks like it was designed for an easy install as there is no welding or such being used. JScott1 documented his t-top install fairly well in a thread on here.

That being said, I can't offer any other useful advise.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 11-05-2014).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is not that hard if you have the nerve and the proper tools.

If you don't have the nerve it is a B$&th to make that first cut once you have had enough beer to get the nerve to make the first cut. Lol!

The video's are pretty good and the key is proper tools and proper measuring.

If you do not want to do it yourself. I would seek out a custom shop in your area that would do the kind of work like building street rods and fabrication of race cars Pro Street cars etc. these shops have the ability to install and fab about anything. Most areas have a shop or two that can do this kind of work. This should not be a tough job for a good fabricator.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Factory in Toney (near Huntsville) Alabama has done at least one that I know of. Probably more.
They are not inexpensive, though.
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fox Valley Fieros [Rob mostly with a little help from the rest of us] if you can wait until your chop is done. We've done a homebrew chop and an archie kit chop, and it's ALOT less work to install a T-TOP. The hard part is getting all the parts to pull it off.

------------------
1988 CHOPTOP V8

Local club http://www.foxvalleyfieros.webs.com/
Facebook club page http://www.facebook.com/gro...?gid=141412865904993
N.I.F.E. member #461 Chris M http://www.fierofocus.com/

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 11-05-2014).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may have a whole t-top roof section next summer when we are done with your other car Steve Neyens from Iowa was going to bring his yellow t top up here for me to chop and put a fixed roof on it.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

The Fiero Factory in Toney (near Huntsville) Alabama has done at least one that I know of. Probably more.
They are not inexpensive, though.

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not something I am ready to do but something I have toyed with as an idea. My MERA is a solid roof and (like Nelson's) I have been thinking about a t-top for it.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will cut it for you!

Not sure I want to cut another persons car but I will be cutting my own eventually.
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 04:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In this build thread, I'll take you through the steps of installing a T-Top roof in your Fiero. Actually, my Fiero!

Here's a few notes before we begin.
-This is not an official "how to" manual but rather my version of doing a T-Top conversion.
-I'll be installing a T-Top roof into my 84.
-I will use RTV black silicone, PL Premium bonding adhesive, seam sealer and Avinox brand fasteners to secure it all together.
-I picked up an 87 space frame that had the T-Top option. Therefore, I will be reusing most of the components from that car.

Anyhow,on to the show.

Here's the unsuspecting donor. I just cut the roof off at the "A" and "B" pillars after removing the glass.

After removal, you'll have to separate the components.

Take your measurements. Note: This cut is actually curved!

Cut the roof off the recipient.

Do a test fit.

Paint the freshly cut metal to prevent rust.

Actually, paint all brackets and braces to prevent rust.

I used PL Premium as a bonding agent on the "H" frame. It's not seen here but there was also silicone applied to any area's that might allow water penetration.
Here, the reinforcing header is glued and riveted prior to installing the "H" frame.

"H" frame glued.

"H" frame secured with Avinox rivets.

This is a real easy conversion to do and it only took a few hours to get to this point. Minimal hand tools are required. I have the advantage here because I have an air-powered tool that allows me install 1/4" rivets easily.

That's all for now. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. More documentation, and yes, pictures to follow. I'll address the missing weather strip installation.

[This message has been edited by Lunatic (edited 11-16-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DIY T-top install writeup here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000070.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I would attempt it with some of you guys around to stop me from doing something stupid...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even the factory has trouble making T tops that dont leak like a waterfall. That should tell you something. They only got pretty good at sunroofs in the last couple of years. My targa top Corvette leaked more than leaving the windows rolled down. I put all new front and rear seals in that were not cheap. They didnt even slow it down. Parking outside in the rain left 6" of water in the floor wells every time. I just learned to live with it and drilled a couple of 3/4" holes in the floor to drain it.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John,

Jeremy at the Fiero Factory installed the t-top on my red Mera. He is one of the very few people that I would trust to do this type of work on my Mera. Get in touch with me and I will share a few details.

Nelson
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks fellas. Nelson, any leaks? What was the cost? Rob, you feeling cheeky enough to have a go?
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Thanks fellas. Nelson, any leaks? What was the cost? Rob, you feeling cheeky enough to have a go?

John,

I would have to look up the cost since it was a few years ago. However, I have no leaks in my CJB t-tops. Note that the seals were decent when installed and I take care of them.

Nelson
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The installation outlined here looks to be well done and it is based on building a T top using parts from a Fiero that was a factory T top. While the install looks super; I would be concerned with body flex (the T top must be ideally welded in place), replacement seals (hard to find) and as Roger has indicated, leaks.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I do this, and if I do this, it will be on my MERA so it will be a garaged car driven in nice weather.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Ahhh yup.. I have a little secret too I may have a line on a set of brandy new in the box set of seals if I can talk the fella in our club that has multiple sets of them. I will call him today. Well strike that idea he won't sell them but had good idea to do seals anyway so I am going to go take lots of pics of his.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 11-08-2014).]

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did one car myself but I had some issues and jeremy at the Fiero factory walked me through them. If you doubt your skills, he's about the only guy I would trust to do it. It is "easy" but you have to make some complex cuts and the instruction manual kinda stinks in the cut details. I would call Jeremy and see what he charges.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock