Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  3800sc for $1600 what do you guys think?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800sc for $1600 what do you guys think? by Justin_J
Started on: 10-31-2014 07:41 PM
Replies: 12 (506 views)
Last post by: FIEROFLYER on 11-07-2014 02:09 PM
Justin_J

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_JClick Here to visit Justin_J's HomePageSend a Private Message to Justin_JEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I talked to the guy and he said that it came out of a Grand Prix with about 96000 miles on it. What do you guys think about the price? Worth it?

http://seattle.craigslist.o.../pts/4734201233.html

[This message has been edited by Justin_J (edited 10-31-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a Series III SC engine with less than 14,000 miles on it for about $2000 but it was a couple of years ago. I would look for an engine with less miles or at least get a better price. However, I must say that I have no idea as to pricing in your part of the country so I may not know what I am talking about. Go to some of the online parts supply sources and search to see if you can get a better deal wrt either mileage or price. That's my $0.02 worth of advice.

Nelson
fieroall

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a complete car 99 Grand Prix GTP with 105k miles for $400. So ya ... $1600 is too high of a price.
Justin_J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_JClick Here to visit Justin_J's HomePageSend a Private Message to Justin_JEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, the thing is that this motor comes pretty much ready to drop in with the motor mount bracket, power steering delete, flywheel and clutch...
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless it is literally a plug and play deal, and actually runs well, it's a bit expensive.

You should be able to get a decently running series II 3800 SC, for at least half that price.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a 01 Bonneville SSEI with 77k miles for $1000.

Took the motor, wheels and tires, as well as all the interior parts I wanted,
then I scrapped the car for $270.

So essentially I got wheels, tires, and a motor for $730.
I think that's way to expensive, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you can't find anything else
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep shopping. 1600 is high for just a motor - even with the flywheel and front mount / idler pulley setup - having said that, the add mentions the ECM and harness - is that a harness built for a Fireo installation or the stock 3800SC harness from the donor car? If it's the custom built harness for the Fiero install, you are getting closer to a good deal.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Considering its craigslist, I wouldnt hesitate to haggle with him.

I have noticed on the west coast that 3800SC stuff takes a large premium, so I wouldnt have a problem paying a bit extra for something like that.
mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-05-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Local pullapart yard charges $224 with core charge and tax for any complete V6 with all attached accs and wiring harness. It takes 2 to 3 hrs to pull a complete eng.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have 3-4 in the local yard all the time. You have to pull it, but you can buy it all for under $400. Even had a 2008 GP w/ SIII with rear end crash (driving at the time of accident) couple weeks ago.

RJ
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO. that's way too much!

------------------
http://i16.photobucket.com/...ancis44/100_1147.jpg
[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/francis4
4/000_0451-1.jpg[/IMG]
trueleo.com

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justin_J:

I talked to the guy and he said that it came out of a Grand Prix with about 96000 miles on it. What do you guys think about the price? Worth it?

http://seattle.craigslist.o.../pts/4734201233.html

Buying an engine that is not running is a crap shoot. You may get something very good or very bad. Price is too high. I would chisel the guy down to about half that and hope for the best. The last few engines that we purchased were around the $600 range and none had more than 68K miles on them. If you can't hear the engine run and/or do a leak down test on it be very cautious.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree if you can't hear it run you are taking a big risk and even with the extras this is not worth more then $500 to $600. The engine mount and power steering delete set up look rough and poorly made which would be enough for me to look else where.
Now if you could fire it and the harness was a swap harness properly made not just the stock 3800SC harness and there was some proof of mileage it might be worth the asking price. Also I am nervous buying things all painted up cause that does not let you see the true shape of the engine as it was pulled from the GTP.

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock