Started on: 10-30-2014 10:21 AM
Replies: 31 (1267 views)
Last post by: lou_dias on 11-30-2014 12:53 PM
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering if anyone still wants one of our intake manifolds or a set of headers. I'm not sure if I'm healthy enough to go into full production but whereas I have lots of CNC parts leftover I can build a few more.

------------------
http://i16.photobucket.com/...ancis44/100_1147.jpg
[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/francis4
4/000_0451-1.jpg[/IMG]
trueleo.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Francis,

I have one intake and may be interested in acquiring a second one. PM me your anticipated pricing if you decide to assemble a few more intakes.

Nelson
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will post the pricing after I make one.
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
glad to hear you are feeling better...would like to price an intake

[This message has been edited by 88FieroGT TTops (edited 10-31-2014).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88FieroGT TTops:

glad to hear you are feeling better...would like to price an intake

Not sure yet on the pricing yet as I may make changes to them. What with my son's racing success and his other projects, he doesn't want to make any more products for the fieros; profit margin is way too low, shop space is limited and he don't want me working anymore for health reasons. Thus, it will be a while, whereas I have a lot special tools, jigs, machines, materiel and whatnot to move from our shop -trueleo racing- to my shop.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm happy that you're feeling better. Or at least feeling well enough to think about working again. That's always a good sign.
At some point, I'd like to try swapping in a 3.5 or 3.9 (same block and heads) from a G6 into a Fiero. I wouldn't mind installing a good set of headers instead of the iron manifolds, if they were available.
I'm sure the ports are different from the 2.8. I'm not sure in what way, however.
It would be cool if the port spacing and the flange surfaces were similar. Having said all that, I don't have any way to compare/measure them. At least not right now.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-01-2014).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I'm happy that you're feeling better. Or at least feeling well enough to think about working again. That's always a good sign.
At some point, I'd like to try swapping in a 3.5 or 3.9 (same block and heads) from a G6 into a Fiero. I wouldn't mind installing a good set of headers instead of the iron manifolds, if they were available.
I'm sure the ports are different from the 2.8. I'm not sure in what way, however.
It would be cool if the port spacing and the flange surfaces were similar. Having said all that, I don't have any way to compare/measure them. At least not right now.

Just go buy yourself set exhaust manifold gaskets and compare them.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Francis, it's good to hear you're feeling better.

Also, I'd be happy to buy another set of headers.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in for another set of headers.

I recommend a ceramic coating option as well...
RTingey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RTingeySend a Private Message to RTingeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in a new intake for my turbo re-build. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To keep cost down - and make installation easier- I've been thinking about a new header design. They will not be equal length, thought still retain the big runners and big Y pipes etc and good collector input angles. As for performance lost, there should be very little difference compared to our equal length headers. So what ya think?
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think any headers are better than no headers.
You might also want to look at the headers that are available from Summit for the F-body 3.4 ... Perhaps those could be cut and re-welded to work...

http://www.summitracing.com.../engine-family/gm-v6
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

I think any headers are better than no headers.
You might also want to look at the headers that are available from Summit for the F-body 3.4 ... Perhaps those could be cut and re-welded to work...

http://www.summitracing.com.../engine-family/gm-v6

Interesting...they look better than Sprint, but not sure how they will clear everything -clutch slave, and whatnot- on a Fiero?
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd keep them at least 22". Glad to see you're well enough to get ambitious.

Arn
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Francis,

I have one intake and may be interested in acquiring a second one.

Same here.

I think the one intake I already have from you, Francis T, is a custom design of yours. It's possibly a limited-production or one-off design because its plenum is not shaped like a cylinder, but more like an asymmetrical bottle of Stabil fuel stabilizer with one long neck emanating from the right front of the plenum.

However, the second one I may be interested is a different custom design of yours which Raydar computerized for you for use on your now-archived 2011 thread, titled, "need feedback on a new intake designe"
( https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-085806.html ).

Your intake manifold design in the drawing you first came up with presumably looks something like this, but without the jagged edges evidenced by the computerized translation of your drawing:

I'm hoping you can make the aluminum panel atop the plenum both thick and non-porous enough for me to get it successfully chrome-plated locally, just as was done with my Fiero's otherwise stock, aluminum valve covers. Then, to match the look of my Fiero's valve covers, I could set off the fins you mentioned would be atop your new intake manifold, with some heat-resistant black tape just as I did my Fiero's chromed valve covers' fins.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is basically yours; and while I liked it a lot, it took a lot more work. Sorry but that one was a real %**% pain to make, and thus I doubt if I will make another.

http://s16.photobucket.com/...zps5b2c8213.jpg.html
http://i16.photobucket.com/...1262_zps28a6eaa7.jpg

BTW: over the years we've had request to make dual TB manifolds. What with the flow bench numbers showing a single TB good for around 300HP we never went that route.
I think I can use the Dual TB approach to achieve another goal, keeping cost down. Yeah it sounds nuts, but by doing such I think i maybe make them easier to build. What are your thoughts people, anyone interested in a twin TB?
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:
This is basically yours; and while I liked it a lot, it took a lot more work. Sorry but that one was a real %**% pain to make, and thus I doubt if I will make another.

http://s16.photobucket.com/...zps5b2c8213.jpg.html
http://i16.photobucket.com/...1262_zps28a6eaa7.jpg

Yes, I agree. The manifold depicted in the photobucket links you've provided above looks much like mine, but mine from you has a noticeably smoother neck, so the welds in the neck area are virtually invisible.

BTW: over the years we've had request to make dual TB manifolds. What with the flow bench numbers showing a single TB good for around 300HP we never went that route.
I think I can use the Dual TB approach to achieve another goal, keeping cost down. Yeah it sounds nuts, but by doing such I think i maybe make them easier to build. What are your thoughts people, anyone interested in a twin TB?

Yes, I'd be interested in a dual-plenum intake manifold, possibly something similar to the one-off dual-plenum set-up pictured below:

However, regardless of the number of throttle bodies, I prefer to continue to use my CAI (cold air induction) system, which is largely based on the built-in OEM CAI system of a Fiero, --- both of which draw in cooler air from outside the engine compartment, rather than drawing in hotter air from inside the engine compartment. Given your racing experience, I know you're aware of the benefits of doing that.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the look of the twin TB........
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Headers are a must.
For intakes, the DAWG-mod with a 57mm TB addresses 98% of the flow needs of most people...and you can get that done by any machine shop for under $200
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry people, but my family killed my plans. My son Troy flatly refuses to move the equipment to my shop as he don't want me doing any metal fabricating with the blood thinners I'm on. My wife and RN daughter agree quite strongly. Whereas I doubt if I ever shipped and intake or header set that I didn't get cut at least once building; I suppose they have a point. Last week they replaced my ICD and it took 4 days instead 1 for the bleeding to stop. Thus I'm going to need to find a new safer hobby. Maybe a mistress, naw...

Anyway all is not lost, Troy did agree to let me sell our components including all the CNCed steel flanges needed to make our hi-flow intakes;a first.
For those that can weld or have friend that can, I'll put together and take photos of all parts, make draft a drawing on how to build a dual TB intake as they will be easier than a single plenum and look meaner. Like I said earlier, sorry people.

[This message has been edited by Francis T (edited 11-14-2014).]

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Health always comes first.
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I think I have solution that the family and I can agree on. I've been working on plans for a Dual Plenum/Twin TBs intake kit. And it really looks doable for the average mechanic providing he can weld or can take it to someone that can. I will make one for my 87GT first to confirm everything.
I'll post some drawings soon. I'm not sure if there will be much interest in DIY intake manifold kits?
mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure there will be some.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You've piqued my interest
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My M.S.Word is mot working as before, wheres I can't get the select arrow to group objects. If someone here cares to see if they can fix the file or whatever on their system, I'll send it.
Which will let me complete the drawing and post it here.
Thanks
amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be strongly interested in one similar that is pictured in this thread!

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car\1988 Formula Custom\1986 turbo GT
Founder of Mason Dixon Fiero Owners Group
NYFOC Member

[This message has been edited by amflyer (edited 11-26-2014).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My M.S.Word is mot working as before, wheres I can't get the select arrow to group objects. If someone here cares to see if they can fix the file or whatever on their system, I'll send it.
Which will let me complete the drawing and post it here.
Thanks

Well, I got feed up with M.S.Word's drawing ap and ordered CAD software.
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
P.M. sent.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have an M.S.Word file with most of the basic design features. It's not proportioned as it should be; something I'll fix when my CAD software gets here. Can someone here advise me as to what file format I can save an M.S.Word that can be displayed here? I tried .docx and .PDF The thing is both only show my text?

Also, the plan is to put together enough parts for 10-12 DTB and make 2 prototype - both are spoken-for, sorry.

Hmm what call them?
DTB Intake - Dual Throttle Bodies
DPM - Dual Plenum Manifold
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More of these please!

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 11-29-2014).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

More of these please!

Sorry, as of now, I can't; but you can get set of sprints. The runners are not equal and they enter the collects at poor angles, the Y pipe is one size -too small- throughout, but they're still better than stock. If I still have the jigs and whatnot I may offer a better Y designed to fit the Sprints.
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the Fiero Store's Y pipe doesn't have the D-crimp restriction, though Y pipes with a larger collector would be better. If anything, try to make longer arms that equalizes the length the exhaust travels on both sides before joining up.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock