Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  A Few Questions I'm wondering as I settle into the Fiero Community

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
A Few Questions I'm wondering as I settle into the Fiero Community by TrentSuncloud
Started on: 10-22-2014 03:41 AM
Replies: 22 (853 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 11-02-2014 11:17 AM
TrentSuncloud

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrentSuncloudSend a Private Message to TrentSuncloudEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please, before you post some mean stuff, bare in mind, that I am 18, only owned 2 vehicles, one being a Jeep liberty that I hated but lived in because I was homeless, and my current 87 Fiero, and that previous to my 18th birthday, I wasn't allowed to own cars, work on them, or more or less out of my room. So I am still quite new to the car world, and really only took a real interest when I discovered Fiero. So heres a few questions I have that came up on my mind while going through the forum.

What is the Different between a "Notchback", or Aero Panels, Or Fastback, Indy's? Like It's hard for me to spot the difference between what I have and what I can do. Are all parts interchangable? Because I don't want to buy incorrect parts.

Who was EVM_Rob? I saw something about a Mera kit car and something about molding it.

Anyone interested in Custom Consoles? I've been slowly dwelling into making my own and now that I made my first one, I may want to make more but want to see others have done.

My 87 inline 4, has recently been having problems. It's got 134k on the engine, and it would catch gear randomly or something, but runs fine in 2nd gear but still slips. Someone said it was a Torque converter? Anyone know what would be a good approach to perhaps putting in a new engine, preferably a few choices. I want something with a bit more power. I was told to ask you all about the 3800 and what I need for it as someone wants to sell me a 3800 engine and trans for 400$.

Any Cruiser's in Florida? I'd love to drive to the coast when I got my car fixed and see some Fieros. I have alot of dreams for my Fiero, I want it to have a Red and Black interior and my current exterior, Matt black, but a better paintjob.

Is Danyel famous? I see him alot in post and usually those post are the most informational as well as some cool things to buy.

Well, These are my random questions. Like I said sorry if I offend you guys or something, as anything I ask usually offends the Fiero Page lol.

Trent Suncloud
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome Trent!! You have to start somewhere and you come to the right place to learn.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every one of us had our first Fiero so there is no judgment here. Congrats on discovering our little piles of joy...and pain! Let's take those in order of asking.

What is the Different between a "Notchback", or Aero Panels, Or Fastback, Indy's? Start with the Aero. Those are the ones with windows in the back which extend almost al the way to the trunk. The Notch backs have a black panel that drops from the roof at about 2 degrees and no clear place to look out...they are black. The Indy Fiero was only made in 1984 and there were 2000 made. They were a special edition made for the Indy 500.

Are all parts interchangeable? No. There are 4 cyls and 6 cyls, bumperpad cars, aero cars, etc.so not all parts are interchangeable.

Who was EVM_Rob? I willhave to look that one up and get back to you but the MERA was a special "dealer only" option available on 1987 and 1988 Fieros. It looks similar to the F-----I 308. Google Mera and you will see that they are beauty's!

Anyone interested in Custom Consoles? Fiero guys are always interested in cool stuff. Let's see what you got!

My 87 inline 4, has recently been having problems...swaps? I will leave this one to the engine swap experts. There are tons of swaps out there.

Any Cruiser's in Florida? Loads! ...but Florida is a big state.

Is Danyel famous? He is!!! The majority of folks on here are great guys/gals and treasure troves of info. They are always willing to help so do not suffer in silence when you are struggling with the car.

Again, congrats on getting started. Download PIP and get some pics up!

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 10-22-2014).]

gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TrentSuncloud:

Is Danyel famous? I see him alot in post and usually those post are the most informational as well as some cool things to buy.

Yes, but don't tell him or it could go to his head really though, he is a huge asset to the forum.

Keep on searching and reading. many years of information to go through.
Welcome!
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was told to ask you all about the 3800 and what I need for it as someone wants to sell me a 3800 engine and trans for 400$.

Welcome to the forums Trent!

There are plenty of great builds for the 3.8SC on the forums. Here is a link that has the basics that way you can get the idea of the swap:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/125434.html

Is your fiero an auto or manual?

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

TrentSuncloud

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrentSuncloudSend a Private Message to TrentSuncloudEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Automatic, what would give me the most bang for my buck? I really want to buy the 3800 engine and trans, but I don't know if it's a good price for 400$ as well as what else I need. Or if theres a better engine
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Automatic, what would give me the most bang for my buck? I really want to buy the 3800 engine and trans, but I don't know if it's a good price for 400$ as well as what else I need. Or if theres a better engine

$400 is very good for both the engine and trans, but you will also want the ECM.

On average most user's are spending $3,000 on the 3.8SC swap. Might seem like a lot but you start out with 240HP and you have so much after market support for that engine. The 3.8 actually got awards in the 90's for being the best engine of the year. Here is the wiki for the L67 (3.8SC series 2.)

"Like most 3800 V6s, the engine is well known for its reliability and low maintenance costs. The engine is a popular choice for aftermarket modification thanks to its very strong internals and impressive power gains from basic upgrades."

Now there are a lot of engine's to choose from for the fiero, but if your looking for the most HP per $ it's the 3.8SC with ease.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree...3800 is bang for the buck. I have one being built right now. I paid 500 for the engine and tranny then paid 700 for a wiring harness to be built. Add in paint to make it look pretty, a gasket set to reseal it, new bearing for the supercharger, and other bits and bobs along the way and you get to $3000 pretty quickly.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.centralfloridafi.../forum/index.phpfor. trent pretty large fiero club right here in orlando, everyone here are very helpful. Welcome to the madness.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

..... Is Danyel famous? I see him alot in post and usually those post are the most informational as well as some cool things to buy.

Hello
I would like to first welcome you to the forum....as to your question I would reply "Not more than anyone here" I once had run ins with someone in Florida which did not help my reputation but I am now over it and considered my lash out at him as VERY CHILDISH so my "meaculpa" is done. I am NOT the most active here but yes I had the honor of being on Tyler Shipman's builld team ... I have some cool things to sell and there are many members here that have cool things to sell too....
If I can be of any help or get you information please ask... the forum here holds ALOT of information on our quirky cars and tons of excellents members here that know solutions
regards
Danyel

TrentSuncloud

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrentSuncloudSend a Private Message to TrentSuncloudEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Know a good swap to do into my Fiero for an 18 year old on a budget? I'm being told a 3800 as I can pick up an engine and trans for 400$ But I don't quite know what I need in terms aside from the engine and Trans. My uncle has his own ship, and can gladly do it, but I don't know what I need to give him.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My uncle has his own ship...

Do you call him "Captain"?
TrentSuncloud

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrentSuncloudSend a Private Message to TrentSuncloudEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shop =P But regardless I call him captain
rice.1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome. This is great place. Very knowledgable folks, always willing to help.

I bought my first Fiero last year, (and I'm 29), not an expert mechanic, so I've asked my fair share of dumb questions that I can only imagine received eye rolls when folks read them. But nonetheless, they provided excellent solutions in very little time. So don't be afraid to ask anything.

The search function is your best friend, so use it generously. More than likely if you have an issue, there have been many others who encountered the same thing.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trans slipping can be several things, including low fluid.
Check fluid w/ trans hot(Edit -> ), parked, and engine running.
See my Cave, Automatic

87 l4 get a little more HP/torque and Good auto trans adds to engine torque. Is job for TC...
Low on power can be several things too, including engine TBI can't reach WOT when pushing gas to the floor.

See my Cave, Duke Quick Ref and rest of engine section.

If you think $400 for swap.... No. Just replacing same motor/trans cost more than that.
Why? Very very short version...
Engine, Trans, all wiring, ECM, axles, finding brackets, exhaust, etc.
switch auto to stick means more issues that must be addressed.
Someone with time to convert. Nubes can take months to do a swap. Many Shops won't touch engine swaps because eats time and garage bay space. Careful shop that do swaps because Many take shortcuts that will leave you sitting on side of highway, if your lucky.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-30-2014).]

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

http://www.centralfloridafi.../forum/index.phpfor. trent pretty large fiero club right here in orlando, everyone here are very helpful. Welcome to the madness.

Now That's Funny...

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Trent, don't mind fierogtlt1. As long as you don't act like a dork, I think you'll find that Central Florida Fieros members are usually pretty friendly.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EVM_Rob makes and sells body kits for fieros .Usually has a thread in the mall and a really informative build up that I cant remember the name of .Search is your friend , welcome to the forum .Keep in mind that old cars are better for hobbies than they are for transportation .Get a cheap reliable car for your basic needs and work on the fiero for fun and you wont be cursing it by the side of the road when you are late for work .
katatak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the madness Trent! As others have said, the 3800 is the best bang for the buck. It will cost you 500 to 700 for a plug and play wiring harness unless you or someone you know is good with that sort of thing - lots of info here for the wiring and there are a few folks here that build the plug and play harness - check the mall for that or just make a post in the Mall looking for one.

You will either need to buy a set of mounts - or if you or someone you know can fabricate - there are a lot of threads here that show you how - again, the mall is you best place to buy pre made. Just search "3800 Mounts".

There are several other bits and pieces - exhaust, hoses, clamps, bolts, screws, etc. - they all add up. Just being straight up with you, 400.00 for a motor/trans is good - but that's not the biggest expense.

You will also need to build or buy axles.

Like Johnny says, there are several body styles.

This is an 86 Coupe (Notchback) - Bumper pad car

This is an 86 SE Coupe (Notchback) Aero body - this is basically the same body as the 84 Indy Pace car and the 85 GT

This is a GT Fastback

This is an 88 Formula Coupe (Notchback)

A Mera, A Formula Coupe and a GT Fastback.

An Indy next to an 87 Coupe next to an 88 Formula - all 2 Notchbacks.

Get your Duke / trans working to it's best before you dive into an engine swap. Trans slipping could be a few things - like The Ogre said - check your fluid level, maybe needs a trans service - filter change, etc. Nothing like a good tune up on the old Duke to breath some life back into it either.

Good luck on your Fiero adventure, ask a lot of questions and search the entire Forum for topics that you are interested in.

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 11-01-2014).]

TrentSuncloud

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrentSuncloudSend a Private Message to TrentSuncloudEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Grandpappy actually went out and took a look at it, and fiddled with the Trans, and emptied out all the oil, and we replaced it and now it shifts amazing But I still wanna get into a swap haha. My Uncle is great with Electrical work and Fabrication, look up Rust 2 Rods and check out some of his builds. His shop is like a candy store =D
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My advice to you Trent, is to wait on the engine swap. Have some fun with your car first, learn its idiosyncrasies, don't jump straight into something that often results in the car being laid up for a long period. I've been there repeatedly and it sucks
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. I say enjoy the car a bit. Drive it around and find your likes and dislikes. More importantly find the little things that don't work. Gauges, radios, headlight motors, fans, loose grounds, squeaks...all the little stuff that will drive you batty for a bit when getting a sitting car driving daily. I drive my 4 speed duke daily and although slow, I love the 34mpg!
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like others have said Trent. Welcome to the madness. It is a disease. I bought my first Fiero in 2001 when I was just 50. LOL. It was a 88 base Coupe( Notchback) with the 2.5L 4 cylinder engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. I learned a lot about the car from working on it and getting information/help from this forum. You have a DIS engine which is in my opinion good. Very reliable engine. I bought my car from Stan Rakovan in Pittsburgh with just 86,000 miles on it. I drove it every day. Yes even in the winter for over 12 years. Unfortunately it was hit going slow in a left hand turn lane on a dark cold rainy December morning by a new BMW making a left hand turn out of a coffee shop thru stopped traffic that should not have let him squeeze through. Needless to say the new silver BMW had lots of red paint on its front bumper. My car actually didn't look bad but it bent the front upper body frame down just under the headlight. My insurance company said they have experienced that before with corvettes and it is expensive to fix so they would give me nice fat check for the car. Yes I had it fully insured. It was MY car to drive to work and my wife has her car but she works the opposite direction from me.
It had 186,000 miles on it when i let it go. Gas mileage was great! On long trips just under 39 MPG. City/Highway low 30's in the summer and in the winter upper 20's. You will not get that mileage with a 3800! I could always tell when the gas companies switched to winter blend. Like I said I learned a lot about Fieros over the 12 years and 100,000 miles. I always did most of my own service work, BUT learned a lot more owning a Fiero. I replaced that car with a car I bought that had a 3800 SC conversion done to it.
This has also been a learning experience. Man have I learned a lot about: 3800's, of buying a converted car, and fixing/finishing the conversion. AS others have said, drive your car and get to know it BEFORE you attempt a drive train conversion. You may find buying a car that is already converted less expensive in the long run.

You really want to get to know how to drive a mid engine car before you start adding more horsepower to it. After driving 12 years in rain and snow and hot weather I have learned a little about driving a mid engine car, BUT I still have a lot to learn! You will find out it is a different beast and others will testify to that. So drive your car and get to know it before jumping into a conversion.

Oh and if some smart butt says they catch on fire don't they, you can tell them, NO not as much as Telsas, Fords, Corvettes and other cars. LOL

Enjoy your venture into insanity, they are truly unique cars. And they are close to the same height as a GT40!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock