Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How can I find out more about my engine swap regarding the recall?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How can I find out more about my engine swap regarding the recall? by mckaymotoworks
Started on: 10-21-2014 12:00 PM
Replies: 11 (180 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 10-21-2014 01:59 PM
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some history on my car, two Bowling Green Corvette plant employees owned it. Engine was swapped per the recall around 1991.
I'd like to get some paperwork to substantiate this. So far, I am calling a former Pontiac dealership in Bowling Green, KY with the VIN.

Is there another way through GM or an affiliate?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only former Pontiac dealer in Bowling Green is pulling up nothing on the GM vehicle history network. I am just assuming here that it was done in Bowling Green going by the fact the owner lived there and was a GM plant employee. The recalls I assume would be performed at a dealer.

Is it possible this car was sold through some type of employee purchase program and done off the books?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you tell us about the car? Was this an '84? We can give you information on what to look for when it comes to recall parts. GM seems to have been purging the Fiero recall info so, it may be difficult to dig up. In general, there should be a recall sticker on the decklid, but that my not have been placed there or it was removed.

Recalls were done by dealers, as you couldn't get a recall kit and perform it yourself (unless you bought the kit outright, which means you had to pay for the parts).

Employee purchase program cars are nothing special when it comes to recall work. (Employees get a discount, that is all, if that is what this car is). Now there are cars that GM employees drive and can be purchased (can't remember the acroynm), but again, there is nothing special about them, as ownership is transferred... not that exceptions don't exist, but that would be the SOP).

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 10-21-2014).]

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's an 84 SE'. I am refurbishing the car and will be selling it, would like to provide all I can to the new owner.
I mainly would like proof, and of course an idea of what the actual mileage is on the engine.

Car is at 97K. The father in law can't recall much regarding any of this as he is on up in age.

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 10-21-2014).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mckaymotoworks:

It's an 84 SE'. I am refurbishing the car and will be selling it, would like to provide all I can to the new owner.
I mainly would like proof, and of course an idea of what the actual mileage is on the engine.

Car is at 97K. The father in law can't recall much regarding any of this as he is on up in age.

You can call the Pontiac service number and see if they can dig up anything, but I doubt you will find much. I had a recalled engine in my '84 (swapped engine). I didn't think much of documenting it (or finding the documentation). It ran good, I drove it and sold it
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am OCD about such, to a fault. What is the Pontiac service number?

Thanks for the reply.

Also, any Bowling Green member reading this, let me know of any dealerships in the area in the early 90's.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am OCD about such, to a fault. What is the Pontiac service number?

Thanks for the reply.

Also, any Bowling Green member reading this, let me know of any dealerships in the area in the early 90's.

Well.. you can try these

Customer Assistance Center
Phone: 1-800-762-2737
1-800-PM-CARES
Email: cac@pontiac.com

Not sure if they are still valid... as there is no Pontiac, but worth a try.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I have seen that, thanks for making it easily available. I spoke with GM, who transferred me to the GM Heritage who in turn transferred me to one of his colleagues. I left a detailed message, hopefully he can find something.

Again, I appreciate the assistance and information.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, I have seen that, thanks for making it easily available. I spoke with GM, who transferred me to the GM Heritage who in turn transferred me to one of his colleagues. I left a detailed message, hopefully he can find something.

Again, I appreciate the assistance and information.

You probably got the guy that sits in a warehouse full of file cabinets
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

You probably got the guy that sits in a warehouse full of file cabinets

One can only hope...

EDIT: He called me back, he said all they can provide is the original invoice. All that GM saves, if dealer doesn't have recall then it's gone. Bummer
I will probably get the invoice, that would be nice to have. The car is pretty clean and unmolested, other than faded paint. Interior looks new, runs like a top since I replaced all the sensors with Echlin, rebuilt TBI. Swapping in a M19 4 speed in the coming weeks.

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 10-21-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember that part of the recall involved replacing the oil dipstick. The 84's originally only used 3 quarts of oil. The dipstick or tube was changed to show a full measure when it had 4 quarts. It may be possible to determine recall if you change oil, add 4 quarts of oil and see if it registers over full. Check the serial number on the engine, too. If it's a replacement engine, it won't have a serial number. On the 84 it's located on a flat space just above the timing gear cover.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock