Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Is Pontiac Fiero The Most customized & Modified Car Ever Built?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is Pontiac Fiero The Most customized & Modified Car Ever Built? by canfirst
Started on: 10-19-2014 02:18 AM
Replies: 28 (1721 views)
Last post by: Australian on 03-01-2016 06:15 AM
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is Pontiac Fiero the most customized and modified car/vehicle platform ever built? The Fiero platform has been used for numerous Kit Cars, Exotic Replicas, Meras, Zimmer Quicksilvers, Concept 2000 GT's, Motorcycle Trikes, and countless engine conversions.
Is there any other mass produced production vehicle that has been more popular for vehicle conversions and transformations than the versatile Fiero?
http://oppositelock.jalopni...-equivale-1483308940
Feel free to list more unique Fiero permutations.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VW Beetle was used for lots of stuff. So was the model T.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would also add 55-57 Chevy, 67-69 Camaro and the Fox body Mustang to that list. Fiero may be one of the most versatile, but it was very low production compared to the others listed. There were 15 million(!) Model T's.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suspect that there have been more VW mods than Fiero mods. Only because there were more VWs built, and for a longer period of time.
Don't forget all the VW based dune buggies, sand rails, and other rebodies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meyers_Manx

Of course, you can buy enough pieces from the aftermarket that you can build your own VW engine (or probably an entire car) without ever owning an original VW part. You can't really do that with a Fiero. (Mark Corbin made the same statement about the Corvair, but they're not nearly as popular as the VW.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-19-2014).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero production numbers are too low for it to beat out much longer running cars. Model T and VW have already been mentioned. I would imagine either one of those would take the title. Ford built over 14 *Million* Model T's between 1909 and 1927.
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/fdprod.htm

14 Million cars that have been around for over a century compared to about 370,000 cars that have been around for 30 years.

Do a Google search for "Fiero" and you get about 789,000 results.
Do a Google search for "T Bucket" and you get over 6 million.

No contest.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 10-19-2014).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I think the VW Beetle beats out the Fiero in that department. And the T-bucket is a staple of hot-rodding.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 10-19-2014).]

jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would guess the beetle, being it had a 70 year production run ..
1933-2003
------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 10-19-2014).]

racingfortheson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think he is saying it has the most potential to be changed then any other car, and I agree.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

Think he is saying it has the most potential to be changed then any other car, and I agree.

Agree.

I think he is talking about variety and the many different "cars" a Fiero had been turned into - not raw numbers.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Agree.

I think he is talking about variety and the many different "cars" a Fiero had been turned into - not raw numbers.

Even with that criteria, the Fiero does not come close to the beetle. Google "pontiac fiero kit car" - 54,000 results, "vw beetle kit car" - 1.25 million results.

The beetle just had tons more made and was around a lot longer. Everything from dune buggies to super car clones were made from the beetle platform.

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 10-20-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2014 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:
Even with that criteria, the Fiero does not come close to the beetle. Google "pontiac fiero kit car" - 54,000 results, "vw beetle kit car" - 1.25 million results.

The beetle just had tons more made and was around a lot longer. Everything from dune buggies to super car clones were made from the beetle platform.

Anyone stick a V8 in the rear of a VW bug without it lookin weird ????? A lambo clone with an aircool engine

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 10-20-2014).]

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are forgetting the Fiero-Boat ...

and Trailer ...

and Sedan ...

and 4WD ...

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

and Sedan ...

sedan

noun
an enclosed automobile body having two or four doors and seating four or more persons on two full-width seats.

The Quicksilver is still only a 2 seater.
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
why would you stick a v8 in a vw to make a super car. the Porsche 911 setup bolts in. its used in many clones. the body literally unbolts from the floor. one reason people have also stuck bug bodies on truck frames. The vw has the largest uses out there and most versatility. The aftermarket community is still building many upgrades. you can take a 1950 vw and bolt on rack and pinion electric power steering 4 wheel disk brakes coil over suspensions. Motors are up to 3liters bolt in with turbo setups.
On the v8 subject. I have seen motors put in on a tube chassis that located in the front with a transmission down the center to a rear diff. Its completely under the factory body and with tinted windows up and just looking at the body it would look stock.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im with tesmith. Tri five chevies have to top the list.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just for customizing, Corvettes have a huge following and aftermarket. Custom Corvettes google search turned up 614,000 links. Modified Corvettes got 671,000. Simply google Corvette and you get a mind boggling 558 MILLION hits.

[This message has been edited by weaselbeak (edited 10-27-2014).]

chrissin712

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrissin712Send a Private Message to chrissin712Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hot Rod also put out statistics on the most common cars to attend Power Tour. It confims 55-57 Chevys, 67-69 Camaros, and Mustangs dominate the list.
I think the Fiero still needs to be accepted as a classic before it could be added to that list. Local clubs getting Fiero specific or 80s specific classes added to shows really helps.

At the Pontiac IL all Pontiac show NIFE was able to get our own class and we had 13-14 Fieros show up. I know we had a lot of people stopping by asking about them even when surrounded by 100s of GTO, Lemans, Firebirds, etc.
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Growing up in the 70s I can say without a doubt bugs win for total number of bugs converted and the number of varieties! I had friends with;rolls royce,flower power,rail buggy,speed buggy,dragster running 10s,supper buggy,gattor with pto propeller,and my favorite, the friend who had seen they float but his door seals were shot so it was labeled the VW submarine!
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Herbie had a small block chevy (v8) for some of the iterations. It was one of the wheelie cars in the movie. It took up the back seat, though.

I don't know about the bug, but the Porsche engines bolt right into the old bus.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I'll partake in this antique thread.

The answer is..... Fat chance!

There were millions of Camaros, Firebirds and Mustangs built and a good percentage of them got and get customized on a daily basis.

Hell, even an old Model A is more customized than a Fiero ever will be.
PFF
System Bot
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget about older vehicles like the 32 Ford. That thing has been a classic hot rod/project car for DECADES. It may not have the variety of the Fiero, but I will say it is customized far more often.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2016 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

Don't forget about older vehicles like the 32 Ford. That thing has been a classic hot rod/project car for DECADES. It may not have the variety of the Fiero, but I will say it is customized far more often.

The Model T is pretty high up there in total production numbers at something like 16.5 million.

VW Beetle was about 21.5 million though, and VW Golf has sold over 24 million.

Ford F series pickup and Toyota Corolla have both sold more than that though, over 25 million.

So next time you see someone driving a Corolla with chrome plated non-functional stick-on vents, remember that it's probably the most customized car ever built.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

Don't forget about older vehicles like the 32 Ford. That thing has been a classic hot rod/project car for DECADES.
It may not have the variety of the Fiero, but I will say it is customized far more often.

Uh.... That's what a Model A is....

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

I guess I'll partake in this antique thread.

The answer is..... Fat chance!

There were millions of Camaros, Firebirds and Mustangs built and a good percentage of them got and get customized on a daily basis.

Hell, even an old Model A is more customized than a Fiero ever will be.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-24-2016).]

Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Pointing out my lack of attention to detail

Sorry, I saw guys reference the Model T, missed the Model A. Point remains.
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 32 Ford is not a Model "A". Model "A" ran from 1928 to 1931

[This message has been edited by notwohorns (edited 02-24-2016).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2016 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VW by a long shot holds that offer and the Fiero while it has many modified cars is way down on the list compared to many cars like Mustangs, Camaros and many other cars made in much greater numbers.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is mostly about American sold cars, but Any vehicle with a Lucas ignition ended up getting modified.....just sayin..
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2016 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For most mechanical mods per car probably wrx or skylines.
Most body mods on a chassis Type 3 VW
Cheapest car with most potential to improve fiero.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock