Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  3.4L Engine Swap owners, Chime in! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3.4L Engine Swap owners, Chime in! by zzzhuh
Started on: 10-10-2014 10:10 PM
Replies: 48 (6910 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 10-18-2014 06:19 AM
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

If you'd really rather have the 3800SC which makes 240 HP stock, versus the 160 HP stock of the 3.4L, then don't waste your money doing the 3.4 swap. Do the cheap/easy mods to your 2.8 now, so it's a little more fun to drive, and save up the money to do the 3800.

If you're thinking of throwing a cam in the 3.4 as part of the mods, be warned that doing so can escalate the cost quickly. You'll have to replace a bunch of gasksets, cam, lifters, front cover seal, any vacuum lines you break in the process (30 year old plastic and rubber can be brittle and come apart easly), etc… You might find that $500 swap you were thinking of doing quickly becoming a $1000 swap, and with a little patience and hunting skills, you can find a 3800 cheap enough to do the swap for less than that.

Thanks for your input.

The 3.8SC would be an awesome swap to do no doubt about that. I wouldn't consider myself to be experienced enough to be able to do such an involved swap. Im sure you could relate to how long a swap like that takes. Plus the money involved with it looking nice.

I plan to spend right around $2,000 on the swap. I guess you could consider my swap a "restoration project" but I plan to add some character in the car as well.
IP: Logged
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2014 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:
Thanks for your input.

The 3.8SC would be an awesome swap to do no doubt about that. I wouldn't consider myself to be experienced enough to be able to do such an involved swap. Im sure you could relate to how long a swap like that takes. Plus the money involved with it looking nice.

I plan to spend right around $2,000 on the swap. I guess you could consider my swap a "restoration project" but I plan to add some character in the car as well.

If you don't consider yourself experienced enough to be able to swap in a 3800, then swapping in a 3.4 is likely to be just as difficult; especially if you are wanting to upgrade it for more power.

A Series II L67 should be pretty close to bolt-in, if you pay someone else to make the harness, tune the PCM, make you a flywheel, and buy the mounts. It's also a better swap for the area you live in, since it's supercharged.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you don't consider yourself experienced enough to be able to swap in a 3800, then swapping in a 3.4 is likely to be just as difficult; especially if you are wanting to upgrade it for more power.

A Series II L67 should be pretty close to bolt-in, if you pay someone else to make the harness, tune the PCM, make you a flywheel, and buy the mounts. It's also a better swap for the area you live in, since it's supercharged.

Is there anyone that I can buy these things from? I think I might of heard about someone on here being able to make me these things needed. What about an ECM as well?
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2014 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is there anyone that I can buy these things from? I think I might of heard about someone on here being able to make me these things needed. What about an ECM as well?

Grab the harness and PCM from the car you pull the 3800 out of. You can send the 3800 and Fiero harnesses to a few different people, and they can turn it into a swap harness. A few people can also tune the PCM to run the manual trans for you. DarthFiero, phonedawgz, etc… should be able to do it. Plenty of threads on the forum.

For the flywheel, I don't recall exactly what's needed, but there are plenty of threads on the subject, so searching should get you an answer fairly quickly.

As for mounts, I'm not sure who is actually offering them right now. Several people used to. I think West Coast Fiero might have some, but there have been plenty of threads about reliability of getting parts shipped to people in the past, so I'm reluctant to recommend them myself due to that, and I don't have any personal experience with them myself.

That pretty much leaves exhaust. WCF also has some exhaust options for 3800 swaps I think. But if you can weld it should be pretty easy to make your own too.
DJErikd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJErikdSend a Private Message to DJErikdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree. I plan on doing the DAWG modified plenum. I am also going to do the "true cold air intake" set up as well so it breathes better. I will also be utilizing your build thread to complete mine. Be prepared for me to ask you a million questions in the future

I'm abandoning my long planned 3.4 swap and now going with a 3800SC (My commute demands an auto and I think the 3.4 is better suited for a Getrag (also California won't let me convert my auto to stick)). I just listed a Darrell Morse 56mm throttle body & intake with Dawg modified neck and matching valve covers over in the Mall. If you really want a good-flowing intake while keeping the stock look, you might check it out.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For the flywheel, I don't recall exactly what's needed, but there are plenty of threads on the subject, so searching should get you an answer fairly quickly.

As for mounts, I'm not sure who is actually offering them right now. Several people used to. I think West Coast Fiero might have some, but there have been plenty of threads about reliability of getting parts shipped to people in the past, so I'm reluctant to recommend them myself due to that, and I don't have any personal experience with them myself.

That pretty much leaves exhaust. WCF also has some exhaust options for 3800 swaps I think. But if you can weld it should be pretty easy to make your own too.

Seems like a lot of things are "iffy" to say the least. I unfortunately don't weld so I don't have the access to such a thing. I think the 3.4 is pretty much my swap. Stay tuned for the build in a few more weeks
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to your 3.4 swap. It's a good swap. Get that one under your belt first.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree. I plan on doing the DAWG modified plenum. I am also going to do the "true cold air intake" set up as well so it breathes better. I will also be utilizing your build thread to complete mine. Be prepared for me to ask you a million questions in the future

No problem answering questions.
The first one is easy, don't do the "true cold air intake" total waste of money. Zero gain. Dyno proven.?.? yes, Zero.

Make a custom lower, and maybe middle, for the 3800, to mount the Fiero intake to. It'll kill the power output, but totally doable.

Even better, I added boost. And I still have my awesome look with all the power.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock