88 GT Build Thread by InfiniteFiero
Started on: 09-27-2014 10:48 PM
Replies: 44 (1618 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 04-06-2015 01:16 PM
InfiniteFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have been a member for a few months and have been feeding off of all of the information on here but have never posted anything. I am a college student so I don't always have the most time to work on my car but on Christmas Break, I decided to modify the tail lights on my Fiero. I had never done any modifications on any cars before, but inspired by other members on this forum, I decided to start and see what happened.
This is my Fiero before any modifications. (I hope all of the pictures show up)

My fiero is the one on the left. I then started to take apart the tail lights and make a piece to hold the new tail lights that i was installing.

This is how the finish product turned out. I was fairly pleased with how it turned out. I wrapped an LED strip around each of the tail lights to give them a halo effect. This is a compairison of the stock lights with the new lights.

And the finished product.

I didn't do anymore work on the car till this summer and I decided to redo the interior of the car. I have been drooling over Amida's new dashes but have nowhere near enough money to buy them so I decided to tackle it myself with no experiances with fiberglassing or any sort of fabrication at all. I started off with an old cracked dash and then have built off of that.

Looking back at what i have done i have learned a lot. I have especially gained much more respect for the other members of this forum who do fiberglass work. What they do is incredible. What I have done might not be the best or most efficient way but it has worked for me so far. I have gone through many different ways and as you can see, really struggled with the center console. In all I have made 5 different ones.

So that's where I am right now. I still have a long way to go but I am slowly making progress. This weekend, I hope wrap the entire dash in vinyl. After I finish the interior, I plan on fiberglassing side scoops and repainting the car. I also plan on lowering it also but all of this depends on what my very limited budget will allow. Anyways I would love to hear your input on what I have done and ideas that all of you have for the dash. None of the ideas that I have had have been my own. They have all been taken from what other other people on the forum so thank you to all the members for all of the knowledge that you have unknowingly bestowed upon me.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, your thinking outside the box on those projects.
On another note...them wheels of yours look very much like Scion TC wheels.
Kit
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car. I like what you did with the lights.

How did you get 3 other Fieros there, too?
InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Nice car. I like what you did with the lights.

How did you get 3 other Fieros there, too?

Well in all we actually have 5 Fieros in all. Each of my brothers have also bought one and my father has one too. Once my oldest brother bought one, we all fell in love with them and bought ones for ourselves.
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I was going to say welcome to the Fiero family but you already have a Fiero family.Nice work your doing for a rookie,that dash is looking good.

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 09-28-2014).]

InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was able to get done with a little of the vinyl today. It's taking me a lot of time to get it done right
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Great job on the dash,..where there is a will there is way !
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The interior is looking great...Keep up the great work.
InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning on putting a nexus 7 in the dash for all of my music and a navigation system. I really like it because it can be voice activated making it hands free. Has anyone ever done this? and if so did they have an problems with it overheating on a hot summer day. Also are there any other options for hands free voice activation controls that are not extremely expensive?
InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have made a little progress but I haven't had much time to work on it lately and wrapping vinyl is much harder than i expected. Thankfully my mother is an expert seamstress but even with that, it is still hard to glue the vinyl down on tight curves with no bumps. As you can see, I am still working on getting all the bumps out.

Also I realized that I never showed a picture of the tail lights at night. This wasn't taken with a very good camera but it still kind of shows what they look like.
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For never having done any car modifications before you are certainly doing an amazing job! The interior looks great and the tail lights look very professionally done, good job! I've always liked the idea of making things with fiberglass but have never taken on the challenge. Keep up the good work!

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

PFF
System Bot
InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the kind words Jfrost! I haven't had much time to work on the car but I'm hoping this christmas break I will be able to get a lot more work done. I was however able to get a nexus 7 to put in the dash and also a slim sub that I am going to put either under or behind the seat. With christmas coming I am going to have a little money to spend on the car and I was thinking of using it to lower the car.

Right now the car has already had a brake upgrade and I painted the calipers red and decaled them so i love the way the wheels look but I don't like the way they sit in the wheel well and the gap between them. Since it is an 88 it does sit higher and the front. I have done a little research and I think Rodney Dickman's lower ball joints would be the best for lowering the car in the front but since I have 12 in rotors I didn't know if it was still possible to use them or not. My wish is to have the gap lessened to 1 to 2 inches in the front and the rear. I don't really want to just cut the springs since i am already worried enough about lowering the car and messing up the geometry too much so please i would love to hear all of your input on how I should do this. I know there have been alot of different discussions about this on pff but the more I read them, the more confused on which way I want to go so i decided ask the question myself. Thank you all again for all of the extremely helpful information that all of you have provided on this forum.
InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

InfiniteFiero

25 posts
Member since Feb 2014
Also don't get the idea that since I am putting a sub in and lower the car that I am trying to slam it and rice it out. I want anything from that. The sub is for the people inside the car to listen to and not to rattle windows and annoy everyone else around me and I want to lower I want to lower it put not slam it.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work man.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2014 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work! Very nice.

I have to ask...
Did you buy that car from a young guy in West Ga? I think I've seen it before.

Welcome to our obsession.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2014 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I did actually about 2 years ago now. I had a feeling some members on here had seen this car before.
InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a HUD to put in the dash and started installing the nexus 7.

InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost ready to put carbon fiber wrap on the bezel of the center consol.

Placed sub behind seat

Secured it with velcro

I also placed heated pads inside of the seats but no pictures of that.
mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2015 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks to me that your console/dash wrinkles would be solved with a very thin layer of foam like the white rolls you see at fabric stores. It just needs a little fill to smooth it out, IMO. It's very close to looking awesome.
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How is that sub? What kind is it and link? I might have to do that
InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the link for your sub...
http://www.amazon.com/Rockv...-2&keywords=slim+sub
Its not a rattle your car sub but it sounds suprisingly good for the size
PFF
System Bot
InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Starting to see what the carbon fiber is gonna look like
dajack761

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dajack761Send a Private Message to dajack761Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work so far.
InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished the bezel
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maaaannnnnn! You do some nice work.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New member with new creative ideas. Nice. Welcome!
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

How is that sub? What kind is it and link? I might have to do that

+1 on the shallow mount sub behind the seat... I did the same thing in mine, and it really makes a difference. I went with the self powered 8 inch Soundstream just to match my mini four channel amp I put on the speakers.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but here is my setup. I highly recommend doing it.

Nice job on the dash by the way! Keep up the good work!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and I have not problem with any of you posting your ideas or what you have done to your car on this thread. I need inspiration because I'm pretty much making this up as I go.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like what your doing, I've wanted to do something similar but haven't had a Fiero in years. I like that you kept it simple using the existing dash.
InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting close to finishing the gauge cluster surround. One thing I really want on them is chrome bezels around the 2 large gauges. Does anyone know where to get them or what bezels from other cars will fit?
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do they measure?
Could always make them http://pages.ebay.com/link/...251548996298&alt=web
PFF
System Bot
InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything between 3.5 and 4 inches. I thought about making them but I have no way to chrome plate them. I want them to match the air vent bezels
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See link posted above for putting a chrome type finish on your own bezels

4" headlight bezel http://pages.ebay.com/link/...201160866927&alt=web

3 3/4 bezel closer to the air vent style http://pages.ebay.com/link/...161299921571&alt=web

You have to send the seller a question to find out the sizes of the rings but it looks promising http://pages.ebay.com/link/...361019151463&alt=web

Just searched 4" bezel on eBay

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 01-05-2015).]

InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's perfect! Thank you so much
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sent a message to this seller and got a reply, the od. Is 3.5", id. Is 3.25".
http://pages.ebay.com/link/...281525486440&alt=web
InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since school has started back, progress on the car has slowed but I am hoping to finish installing the radio and all other electronics tomorrow. I will post pictures as soon as it is done.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by InfiniteFiero:

Since school has started back, progress on the car has slowed...

You're doing great. Making all the rest of us old farts look bad.

InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished mounting the nexus 7, radio, and climate controls and everything is working. I also put the bezel for the nexus 7 on a hinge so that I can quickly remove the nexus 7 to use out of the car when I want to.
InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

InfiniteFiero

25 posts
Member since Feb 2014
Wired the sub with the radio and it sounds great. Very easy hook up. It sounded a little muffled at first but once I adjusted it some it sounded pretty good. Not any car rattling gonna happen with it but perfect for good sound inside the car.
InfiniteFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfiniteFieroSend a Private Message to InfiniteFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on rooting the nexus 7 and changing it to fit my needs. It is going to supply my 10,000 plus music library along with navigation and any other little things like that. It is going to be voice activated so i am trying to figure out which voice i should mimic. Should it be a voice like KITT from knight rider or J.A.R.V.I.S from iron man? It will be programed to talk back and interact with me and follow my commands so please give me your input on what I should name it and what personality the voice assistant in my Fiero should have. I would love to hear all of your ideas. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by InfiniteFiero (edited 01-25-2015).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock