Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Does anyone sell a full RUBBER bushing kit for the Fiero?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Does anyone sell a full RUBBER bushing kit for the Fiero? by JohnWPB
Started on: 09-26-2014 10:56 PM
Replies: 9 (671 views)
Last post by: tesmith66 on 09-30-2014 06:19 AM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are tons of bushing kits for the Fiero, like THIS ONE, but they are all made of Poly. I am looking for a rubber kit. If you search for "Rubber Bushings" on The Fiero Store, there are 3 pages of POLY bushings in the results! (Other then a single pair of rubber ones for the front control arms)

There are around 30 pieces in the average Poly kit. I tried looking on Rock Auto, and they have tons of rubber bushings, but I have no clue what the individual ones are called, and how many of each, or even how to find all of them to make up the full 30 pieces in rubber to replace everything.

Note: I have done my research, and I very well know the difference in poly, rubber, ride handling, noise and vibration transmission from the engine and tires ect ect.... That and I have ridden in and driven more than a few Fieros with Poly, and ridden in and driven ones with rubber as well. That being said, I have a personal preference for rubber.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems that all the kits are poly, but individual bushings can be bought in rubber....dunno why that is.....

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/moog.htm

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 09-27-2014).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe Prothane used to make a complete kit but I have not looked lately..
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doing all then order 2 of each part #.

TFS and maybe few others have front upper bolt and washers.

Originally posted by Gall757:
It seems that all the kits are poly, but individual bushings can be bought in rubber....dunno why that is.....

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/moog.htm

Moog et al sold rubber and BJ because 1 part number can fit Many cars and many times don't need all to fix a car...
Many time they buy bushings to fix a wreck CA from hitting pot hole or curb.
Fiero Front Upper bushings fits different cars and rear bushings fits others. Go to RockA and click part # to see a list of cars uses each one.

Making a rubber "kit" for Fiero and others means big inventory problems at store and most others. Prothane have few cars they make parts for vs Moog and others.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney is working on one for the back of the 88's. Don't know if there is a kit for the front.....
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've gone through this on both my 87 GT and the Indy (done fronts in rubber this month).
I listed MOOG but there are equivalent manufacturers of rubber components.
That poly kit also had boots for the tie-rod ends which I haven't bothered with.

You can buy the whole batch from RockAuto or locally.

84-87 MOOG rubber control arm bushings
(you'll need 2 of each kit)
FRONT UPPER K6170
FRONT LOWER K6163
REAR LOWER K6271

MOOG Front stabilizer bar bushing kit
K5242 (w/ 13/16" bar) or
K3110 (w/ 7/8" bar)

MOOG stabilizer bar rubber grommets end-link kit
K6262

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-27-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
That poly kit also had boots for the tie-rod ends which I haven't bothered with.

"OE" type boots are better protection. (Ignoring torn boots)
Most Rubber have metal springs built into rubber to keep out water/dirt and keep in the grease. (Front UBJ often have metal boot retainer.)
If you have open design rims... Red etc boosts may look good but lets sun light (UV) at the boot. Red and other colors likely won't last.

Many people have blown boots cause by too much grease.
Is a trick to grease w/o wrecking them. Carefully Use small screwdriver at top to release/remove some grease.
Some/Most Moog boots and some others are made to release overflow before failure. I don't know if Fiero # gets them. I think BJs gets them, Outer rod end does not.
Canyonflyer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CanyonflyerSend a Private Message to CanyonflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

There are tons of bushing kits for the Fiero, like THIS ONE, but they are all made of Poly. I am looking for a rubber kit. If you search for "Rubber Bushings" on The Fiero Store, there are 3 pages of POLY bushings in the results! (Other then a single pair of rubber ones for the front control arms)

There are around 30 pieces in the average Poly kit. I tried looking on Rock Auto, and they have tons of rubber bushings, but I have no clue what the individual ones are called, and how many of each, or even how to find all of them to make up the full 30 pieces in rubber to replace everything.

Note: I have done my research, and I very well know the difference in poly, rubber, ride handling, noise and vibration transmission from the engine and tires ect ect.... That and I have ridden in and driven more than a few Fieros with Poly, and ridden in and driven ones with rubber as well. That being said, I have a personal preference for rubber.

I've got a full set of Fiero rubber control arm bushings in my garage that are new in box. I have never used them because they come in the metal sleeves so it means punching the old sleeves.
I think I bought them from the fierostore a couple of years ago.

They're also all over ebay as well sold in pairs and individually. Again, these are like OEM rubber and already in the sleeve. Most are pretty reasonably priced.

Jeff
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sure wish I knew more about this stuff! From reading, it is probably better to try to find bushings without the sleeves?

Also, realizing I need 2 of each item above (left and right side) does that also mean for the rear lowers that look like there is already a pair in the set?

I was adding stuff to the shopping cart at Rock Auto as I went along, around $25 for what I need. When I put in my zip code, it came up with $38 as the CHEAPEST shipping method. Woah! I ordered some rubber bushings and a few bolts & washers, not brake calipers & tie rods! That seems a bit excessive for shipping small fairly light items.

I am gonna head to the local part store tomorrow with the list of numbers from above, and get everything I need.

Thanks for all the help and advice, it is very much appreciated!
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did mine in rubber last summer. Got everything from Rock Auto.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock