What's your opinion of this 1988 GT?! by PDX.GT
Started on: 09-12-2014 12:30 AM
Replies: 20 (532 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 09-12-2014 10:24 PM
PDX.GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PDX.GTSend a Private Message to PDX.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm considering purchasing this car & your valuable opinions will be greatly appreciated:

1988 Fiero GT Mid Engine V6 5sp T Top - $6500

All original 1988 GT V6 5 speed Mid Engine all options one of 261 factory T TOP's perfect interior Nice paint/body. This is a 1988 the last year. GM redesigned the suspension for this year and there is a difference. Do the research and you will see this is the car to buy, a real collector car.

http://postimg.org/image/dcxs8mfzp/

http://postimg.org/image/t1rbo53s3/

http://postimg.org/image/z0ur4lii3/

http://postimg.org/image/cymclwvj3/

http://postimg.org/image/bq05u6p2b/

http://postimg.org/image/td4df9krl/

http://postimg.org/image/m2v6omo7d/

http://postimg.org/image/sjqo3muat/

http://postimg.org/image/y3kfaxeph/

http://postimg.org/image/cfrjm1fup/

http://postimg.org/image/o2w04g2n3/

http://postimg.org/image/c6z79n18p/

[This message has been edited by PDX.GT (edited 09-12-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
alcazar88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I lived closer to Portland I would drive over and make an offer before you decide if you are interested.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks very nice and the condition looks very good. The text in the ad sounds like it was written by a dealer.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't have the rear window defroster, so its not "all options"

Seems to be a clean car regardless
PDX.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PDX.GTSend a Private Message to PDX.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What would be a fair price/offer?
benoitmalenfant

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If everything is as clean as pictured and everything works the way it should (AC included) I'd offer around 1K less than asking price and go from there. If the asking price is 6.5 the seller is probably looking for 6K.

... but then again I'm from Canada and we pay more for a clean Fiero!

------------------
Ben
87 GT / 88 GT
84 Indy #1863

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

Doesn't have the rear window defroster, so its not "all options"

Seems to be a clean car regardless

We could also say that it doesn't have the optional automatic transmission and the rear deck lid spoiler and/or luggage rack. He probably means all of the power options, delay wipers, cruise control and AC.

The interior looks to be in very good shape. Looking very closely I could only see a very slight indication of any delamination of the glove box door edges. I don't know what Fieros bring in the NorthWest, but here in the SouthEast, that car would bring about $4500 to $5000 at best between private seller and buyr. Providing the exterior finish wasn't fading and there was no rust.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do like the spoiler delete look, I wish my 85 GT didn't have a spoiler
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I do like the spoiler delete look, I wish my 85 GT didn't have a spoiler

You can remove it... and just buy some plastic plugs for the holes...

Oh... and adjust the tension on the torsion springs for the decklid... otherwise it may fly up and break the limit cables (over time).
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how is the torsion spring tension adjusted?
PDX.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PDX.GTSend a Private Message to PDX.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
The interior looks to be in very good shape. Looking very closely I could only see a very slight indication of any delamination of the glove box door edges. I don't know what Fieros bring in the NorthWest, but here in the SouthEast, that car would bring about $4500 to $5000 at best between private seller and buyr. Providing the exterior finish wasn't fading and there was no rust.

I realize that I can do a search & I will for more details, but since we're on the subject, where are the typical places on Fieros to check for rust?

Thank you!
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bottom corners of the trunk and the rear frame rails are common problem areas. Pull the trunk carpet loose and look down inside to see if there's any rust-through anywhere in the sidewalls, ledges and bottom. The rear frame rails are difficult to check because they're hidden behind the wheel and liner. You can do a rudimentary inspection by feeling behind the liner at the very top, behind the strut. You should feel smooth metal. You may also be able to see rust by looking down inside the engine bay, in line with the strut. Depends upon whether you have insulation covering the rail. The underside of the car, especially suspension parts should give you some indication of rust being present.
PDX.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PDX.GTSend a Private Message to PDX.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
The bottom corners of the trunk and the rear frame rails are common problem areas. Pull the trunk carpet loose and look down inside to see if there's any rust-through anywhere in the sidewalls, ledges and bottom. The rear frame rails are difficult to check because they're hidden behind the wheel and liner. You can do a rudimentary inspection by feeling behind the liner at the very top, behind the strut. You should feel smooth metal. You may also be able to see rust by looking down inside the engine bay, in line with the strut. Depends upon whether you have insulation covering the rail. The underside of the car, especially suspension parts should give you some indication of rust being present.

Gracias!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to find an example. There are also pics of the trunk corners in this thread. I think this page is where she started getting into chassis repairs.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/085309-22.html
FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car looks nice, but I don't know where they pulled out that number of 261 T-tops made, when they made 1252 total for the 1988 year and 614 were GT's. When I here people say certain "numbers" made of this option (The T Tops) and it's not true, I ask for the vin# and a picture of the rpo sticker (front drivers side inner fender well) to make sure it is a true T-top option car and not done aftermarket by themself or they bought it from someone that did it or had it done by someone. If you get a chance for your own piece of mind get the a picture of the rpo sticker and the vin# you can send it to me if you want and I will tell you all the information I may have on this car should it a true CJB option t-top car.
-Fiero John-WI
podziemj@matc.edu
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been following that car for some time now. It has been on Craig's for a while, so that would make it seem to me to be a little high priced. It looks nice in the pictures, but you can only tell by looking at it in person. No indication if the Air conditioning works. I've been restoring the air in my 88GT project, and have over $600 in just parts , so that could affect the price if not working. Original clutch? I've been itching to go look at it, since not many 88's equipped like that show up! My inclination is $5000 would be a buy where you wouldn't get hurt. Doubt the guy will come down much, though I see an ad where he is willing to trade for a bike.
http://portland.craigslist..../mcy/4656933520.html
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bjc 350

952 posts
Member since Oct 2005
I couldn't stand it any longer so I called on this car. I was in the middle of a painting (house) project when he returned my call, so some of my questions remain unanswered since I didn't have my notes with me. What I did find, is he is the second titled owner and has had the car about a year and a half. He is selling because he has a large dog that will not fit in the car with him. This was his weekender/fun vehicle.The car did have a spoiler, but he removed it and plugged the holes. Tops do not leak when washed. Says it is an Oregon car and has no rust. The air does work , being redone with"super freon ? which is better than 134." I did not ask if the clutch was original, but he says it runs and drives well. He did reiterate that he does not need to sell it and doesn't need the money. I read that to mean that there was little room for negotiation. That response came after I mentioned it had been on Criag's for a month or so. I questioned whether he had any records from the PO and he did not seem to have any, saying the car was purchased from an intermediary who only had it two weeks and did not change the title. The original owner had passed and his wife had sold it to the intermediary. I do believe that I saw the car on Craigs a year or two ago. Anyway, I'm a bottom feeder price wise, so anyone else who is interested should go after it. Not a lot of these available equipped as nicely as this without excessive miles and high prices. Owner seemed like a good guy.
PDX.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PDX.GTSend a Private Message to PDX.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm torn about what to do after Racingfortheson's post in another thread:

"I LOVE me Fiero, but if a fun reliable drive iswhat you are after then get a MX-5. My wife has one and I can tell you, there is no affordable car that is more fun to drive. If you haven't driven one then find a used car lot that has one for sale and take it for a spin. Best $2800 I've ever spent on a car. But Fiero does look better sitting still."

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094537.html

jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The price is more than fair if everything checks out as advertised and there are no hidden rust issues in the normal spots as posted above. If that car was around me I would go check it out and probably throw out a $6k offer just to see if he would take it. It's the perfect mileage for a 3.4 upgrage too...
alcazar88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This guys wife above has an MX-5. My mom has an MX-5 also and loves it. She is also 75! It's a ladies car. Go check for rust and if none try to buy it for 5k. Tell him it's a great car, you can tell he really cared for it, it is probably worth more, but that is all your significant other will let you spend. Leave him your number and walk, asking him to call you if anything changes. Two weeks later you are going to get a call where he either says, okay if you are still interested at 5 it is yours, or if you can come up just a little we could do it. Either hold your ground or give him 5200 so you both feel good about the decision. That's how I got my motorcycle and el camino. The el camino only took one week.

There is a small chance that in your two week window someone like me may go offer him 5500 and close the deal but I'm busy traveling. If it had factory leather seats and the t-tops were confirmed as original I would already be on my way to pick it up. If it is as nice in person as in the pictures I would suggest it is nicer than 80% of the fieros I see for sale! maybe more.

Good luck with your decision.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So buy the MX-5 or X-19.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-12-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay