Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  **Any One running ZZP Plug Wires?** 3800SC. Are you having issues?? 10.5mm wires

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
**Any One running ZZP Plug Wires?** 3800SC. Are you having issues?? 10.5mm wires by solotwo
Started on: 09-02-2014 10:43 PM
Replies: 22 (1070 views)
Last post by: Alex4mula on 12-09-2014 03:24 PM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any one using ZZP spark plug wires? Are you having any issues? Any one have the 10.5 wires? Tonight while I was cleaning and gapping my spark plugs I found 5 out of 7 plug boots Defective. Yes I said 5 out of 7. I bought another wire last month to replace a wire that the boot broke down. I summize the problem is the heat from the 3800SC engine is causing the boots to break down. The 10.5 wire set is not cheap. The boots are cracking and I don't take them off often. Yes I am careful in removing the wires from the spark plugs.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have them only about a month now and no issues yet.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have them installed on a 3800SC? Are they 10.5mm? Stock type exhaust? This is the scenario that I have and the boots are breaking down, cracking and splitting on my daily driver.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replace the boots yourself: http://www.summitracing.com...acc-170044/overview/

Here's a tip: next time you're going to buy some ignition wires, just get 8-8.5mm wires.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ZZP says to bring them back and they will replace them. When that happens, I will install some boot protectors.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Replace the boots yourself: http://www.summitracing.com...acc-170044/overview/

Here's a tip: next time you're going to buy some ignition wires, just get 8-8.5mm wires.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 09-10-2014).]

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Do you have them installed on a 3800SC? Are they 10.5mm? Stock type exhaust? This is the scenario that I have and the boots are breaking down, cracking and splitting on my daily driver.

Yes 3800sc, stock manifold and power log in the rear, and yes the newest version of the 10.5 BUT I am using the stock boot protectors on all but the one next to my low mount alternator.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a picture of the boots.

The gobbledygook is black electrical tape that I used as a temp fix.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 09-06-2014).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So zzp replaced them for you?
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope they would replace them if they've gone that bad...and that one indeed looks pretty bad...
I've heard their rep and their products don't typically reflect that issue you're having.
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of ZZP 10mm spark plug wires. I am not really impressed. I burnt one on a header. I tried to get an angle boot and they don't make and wanted $20 to replace the wire. In the moving the wires around I found that they were very delicate and broke easily. I broke a second wire trying to get it away from a header in another location. I replaced wires with a couple single wire kits from Accel. They had a 90 degree boot that got the wire away from the header. Measure, cut, crimp and install. I am very happy with the results.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap.
Paint in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

So zzp replaced them for you?

YES!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by ILVMYGT:

I have a set of ZZP 10mm spark plug wires. I am not really impressed. I burnt one on a header. I tried to get an angle boot and they don't make and wanted $20 to replace the wire. In the moving the wires around I found that they were very delicate and broke easily. I broke a second wire trying to get it away from a header in another location. I replaced wires with a couple single wire kits from Accel. They had a 90 degree boot that got the wire away from the header. Measure, cut, crimp and install. I am very happy with the results.

I feel your pain and totally understand. Yep their wires in my opinion are not suited for Fieros. I find the wires do not snap on the plugs well. Always loose. They are fantastic for Grand Prixs but not Fieros. Fieros need angled clips and extreme high temp flexible boots(an expensive and hard lesson learned) So when these go to pot I will use olejoedad's suggestions!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wrapped the boots to protect them from heat. But new problem, boots would become loose, so I kinda glued them on. Car hasnt run this good ever.
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car hasnt run this good ever.

MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan, suggested to me several years ago to use Crane Cams Fire Wire 8.5 mm spark plug wires. The part number is 255-0083. They have an angled plug at about 45*. They are made of silicone too. I have been pretty happy with them. The only problem I have had with them is that they are hard to get on the spark plugs due to the stickyness of the silicone.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes and I was told by him and Olejoedad what to run and if I was flush with $$ I would buy another set and throw the ZZP wires away, BUT having unemployment in our house for some time for both of us and now both are working full time, we have other priorities that come first.
ZZP replaced the wires for no additional cost. So I made some improvements to them. Net cost other than the original purchase price a year ago? $12 for two rolls of self sealing silicone tape. Olejoedad suggested this to me. Man this stuff is great. I have a roll in my car just in case!

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 09-20-2014).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Running great so far! I wrapped the boots with silicone tape per olejoedad and it works. The problem is the ZZP plugs are designed for the W body cars and not Fieros. Fieros need an angled boot.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many members on the GP forums had problems with the ZZP wires..

I always ended up running stock GM wires, you can get them in extra length still I believe.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

Many members on the GP forums had problems with the ZZP wires..

I always ended up running stock GM wires, you can get them in extra length still I believe.

Not that I am aware of. The wires are working great now that I have wrapped the boots. The boots need to be angled for Fieros.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you guys know it's not hard to crimp your own wires right? I typically use Taylor universals.

like these:

http://www.summitracing.com...tBy=Default&SortOrde r=Ascending

you do need special wire crimpers, but for 8-9mm wires, they can be purchased fairly cheap. Taylor also makes a set with replaceable dies for crimping multiple sizes.
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next time. I'll have to buy the tools also.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is a picture of the boots.

The gobbledygook is black electrical tape that I used as a temp fix.

I had that same problem. MSD wires in my case. After two sets I bough ceramic boot wires. Expensive (+/-$130+) but solved the problem. It was very annoying to replace them and worst the misfires I had with the rubber boots.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock