Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Gauging interest it a new weld in 84-87 anti bump steer kit.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Gauging interest it a new weld in 84-87 anti bump steer kit. by jmbishop
Started on: 09-02-2014 05:09 PM
Replies: 10 (482 views)
Last post by: jmbishop on 09-04-2014 12:09 PM
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been researching putting together the parts for a bump steer kit for the 84-87 fiero. I'd like to offer it up for sale but I don't know if there would be enough interest. The kit would cost around $150 and require welding a bracket to the cradle. I could offer a bolt in kit but it would have more flex in the parts than a weld in kit. The kit would feature a pre greased inner joint and would use a included es2500rl tie rod end(the replacement part for the original Fiero setup).

Let me know if your interested, if your in the Dallas, TX area let me know and you may be able to help me prototype and test it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

The kit would cost around $150...

If you could realistically offer a kit for that price which would actually improve the rear suspension of '84-'87 Fieros... I suspect it would sell very well.

Although I currently daily drive and autocross an '88 Formula, I'd still like to get a SBC powered Fiero cruiser. If it turns out to be an '84-'87, I'd certainly be interested in what you have in mind.
akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

If you could realistically offer a kit for that price which would actually improve the rear suspension of '84-'87 Fieros... I suspect it would sell very well.

Although I currently daily drive and autocross an '88 Formula, I'd still like to get a SBC powered Fiero cruiser. If it turns out to be an '84-'87, I'd certainly be interested in what you have in mind.

+1
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That's the target price, a realistic number would be between $150 and $200 as long as the prototype works out. I have priced everything but have not put the parts on a car and do not have a Fiero with a cradle at this time. I will have a complete 84 in a few months but until then all I have is a parts car with no cradle.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

I will have a complete 84 in a few months but until then all I have is a parts car with no cradle.

Geez, there must be few spare Fieros down there you could mess around with. If you were up here, there's any number of us who'd lend you an '84-'87 Fiero to experiment on as long as you needed it. I have a feeling someone from the great state of Texas will help you out. After all, it's for a worthy cause!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-02-2014).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've made changes to mine, but I'm interested in what you do and the results, and if better, I may be interested.

Bob

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Weld in only would reduce sales alot due to many people not having a welder, and many welders not being willing to wled on a modification such as this to a customers car. Thats not saying I wouldnt find a way if it got great reviews.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it just a relocation of the tie rod mount like the RCC kit? That sold for around $120...
I had an 87 with the RCC kit and one with the HELD kit.

The HELD kit moved the tie rod to the arm...and the arm itself was custom.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it will be like the rcc kit but with a weld in bracket and inner and outer ends greased with rubber boots. A Bolt on bracket like the rcc will flex much more and actually have more leverage to twist/flex the original inner tie rod mount. It might be worth making a bolt on bracket that would require holes drilled in the cradle but until I prototype it I won't know if that's the way I want to go with it.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a 4.9 on the car with the RCC kit. It seemed sensitive to engine movement. I have to add a dog bone "replacement" to prevent the 4.9 from rocking, otherwise it was actually worse than stock with regards to bump-steer. So you really need to eliminate engine motion for it to work effectively.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't say for sure the rcc kit does flex causing problems but it definitely has the potential to. Bump steer is caused by the toe changing when the suspension is actuated. The is caused by the geometry of the suspension. Most people don't really know what bump steer is and they want to fix it because someone else said it was a problem. It makes a much bigger difference when the car is pushed to the limit. Normal everyday driving won't make you notice the bump steer but weather conditions and hard cornering bring it out. Sloppy engine mounts are a totally different problem.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock