17" Bonneville Rims, trying to make them work by DKcustoms
Started on: 08-31-2014 01:30 PM
Replies: 12 (429 views)
Last post by: Kevin87FieroGT on 09-01-2014 08:56 AM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 4 Bonneville rims, 235/55R17 that I have off of my parts car.
Their bolt pattern is 5x115 and as we all know, the Fiero is 5x100.

I have purchased some 5x100 hub to 5x115 wheel adapters, and they are 1 inch wide.

Using this chart,

and this website,
http://mcgrefer.com/sizeinfo/2355517

I learned that the wheel is 9.5" wide, which would put it near the bottom of that chart.

What I don't know is the offset of the rims, coupled with the one inch spacer, is how far would these rims stick past the fender?
Or would they rub on the strut?
I don't mind a little sticking past the fender, but obviously it can't stick out too far and be legal or look good.

Any ideas of these rims would fit?
(I haven't had a chance to test fit them yet)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edit.....wrong thread but give me a minute to do the math.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-31-2014).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10263 posts
Member since Aug 2007
I don't think you will be able to use those wheels if they are 9.5" wide on a stock Fiero. The reason is that the factory 15" wheel sits about 1/4" from the strut knuckle on the backside of the wheel. The only way to fit wider wheels smaller than an 18" is to go outwards. If you go outwards 2.5" from stock, you are already past the fender just for the wheel. Add tires and you are way past the fender lip.

Edit......here are 19x9.5" wheels. They fit because the height of the wheel allow you to get an offset that moves the wheel inward towards the spring perch by clearing the strut knuckle. An 18" wheel will do the same but nothing smaller. In this pic, even the 19x9.5" wheels are slightly past the fenders.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-31-2014).]

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I don't think you will be able to use those wheels if they are 9.5" wide on a stock Fiero. The reason is that the factory 15" wheel sits about 1/4" from the strut knuckle on the backside of the wheel. The only way to fit wider wheels smaller than an 18" is to go outwards. If you go outwards 2.5" from stock, you are already past the fender just for the wheel. Add tires and you are way past the fender lip.

Edit......here are 19x9.5" wheels. They fit because the height of the wheel allow you to get an offset that moves the wheel inward towards the spring perch by clearing the strut knuckle. An 18" wheel will do the same but nothing smaller. In this pic, even the 19x9.5" wheels are slightly past the fenders.

Alright, thanks.

Any way you could give me a crash course on the figuring out which wheels will fit Fieros so I don't have to keep asking the forum?
No threads I have found have specifically explained it.

And that chart I found on this forum only shows so much
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year Fiero?
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That makes sense

I have an '86.

The tires I have right now are P215/60R14

I don't know the offset or anything of either set of wheels,
I could be wrong but I think the wheel offset is how far the hub mounting surface is from being in the exact center of the wheel from front to back.
Obviously the offset will differ depending on the wheel and the size/application/etc.

Any idea what the offset is on those 19x9.5?

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:
Any idea what the offset is on those 19x9.5?

Thats the only thing I cannot help you with. I don't know the stock offsets. You can always take one off and measure it but at that point, you might as well just test fit one on the Fiero with your adapters to see what it looks like.
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats the only thing I cannot help you with. I don't know the stock offsets. You can always take one off and measure it but at that point, you might as well just test fit one on the Fiero with your adapters to see what it looks like.

I appreciate everything else you've helped me with!

I need to test fit them soon, right now the ground is a little wet to move the parts car from all this rain...
RKB75

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RKB75Send a Private Message to RKB75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Darth Fiero has a set of Bonneville rims on his Fiero.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/090358.html
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RKB75:

Darth Fiero has a set of Bonneville rims on his Fiero.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/090358.html

Yea, his adapters are only .78 inches as compared to mine that are a full inch.
Also, his rims are only 8 inches wide where mine are supposedly 9.5.

That gives me another 1.75 inches of width and he is already rubbing with his skinnier wheels...
RKB75

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RKB75Send a Private Message to RKB75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those rims should be 8" x 17". The Bonneville's didn't come with a rim 9.5" wide.
PFF
System Bot
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RKB75:

Those rims should be 8" x 17". The Bonneville's didn't come with a rim 9.5" wide.

Alright, I will have to measure them if this ground ever dries up.

That is the measurement given to me by that website I linked to in the first post.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the offset number for your 14" High Tech wheels is molded to the inside of the wheel. Should be 35. Pull the wheel for a quick look

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock