Started on: 08-31-2014 09:42 AM
Replies: 23 (739 views)
Last post by: fierogt28 on 02-26-2015 01:59 PM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have received some samples:

I only have 3 of each.

I'm looking for someone to install them to see how they fit. Someone who can do it right away and post pictures etc.

I'm wondering on the front ones because of the factory dent in the U bracket. They may need to be ground some to fit better? So someone who is a good craftsman would be appreciated.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 08-31-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still looking for someone to test these samples. If they work well I'll have a batch made.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can test them. My 88 still has stock rubber bushings. If they need tweaked, I can do that too and send them back to you as samples.
MRBLUE87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRBLUE87Send a Private Message to MRBLUE87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, I could try them on one of my 88's. I'll be at Fierorama. Could pick them up then if you are going to be there.
GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could try them also if needed.
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can try a set for ya, redoing my front end in the next two weeks.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I can test them. My 88 still has stock rubber bushings. If they need tweaked, I can do that too and send them back to you as samples.

Sending them out tomorrow. Happy you will do this. I think they will be OK as is. Once I know that for sure I'll have some made. I'm thinking they will fit under that dented area on the front mounts. I don't think the mold needs to be modified. But let me know.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paul has tried them and for the most part fit fine. The fronts are very good and need no changes. The rears are slightly too wide between the outer rubber flanges leaving a small gap between the rubber and the steel bracket. So I'm going to have the rear mold reworked to be narrower. Once that is done I'll have a batch of each made. Hopefully I'll have some in stock in a few 2-3 months.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look great, and are something I've wanted for awhile since the universal parts don't fit well. I'm running rubber right now, but will order these once you have them listed on the site.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paul found the fronts to be slightly too tight (height wise) thus making them somewhat difficult to install because of the small area you have to work in. They would have been OK if the frame was not in the way. So I'm having them modify the molds to make them slightly shorter. The backs will be narrower where the steel band goes around them. I have OK'd the changes and they will modify the molds and make a batch of fronts and rears. So maybe in 4-5 weeks I'll have some in hand.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some more samples in and I gave them the OK to make them now. They sent me 3 of each so I have one set (2 front and 2 rear) to give away for R&D. Anyone want to try them? Has to be someone that can install them right away. Post some pictures and give some opinions. Has to be someone with an 88 with the factory front and rear sway bars and OEM steel brackets still in place and unaltered.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
dajack761

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dajack761Send a Private Message to dajack761Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I have some more samples in and I gave them the OK to make them now. They sent me 3 of each so I have one set (2 front and 2 rear) to give away for R&D. Anyone want to try them? Has to be someone that can install them right away. Post some pictures and give some opinions. Has to be someone with an 88 with the factory front and rear sway bars and OEM steel brackets still in place and unaltered.

I'll give it a shot. I need to place an order with you anyway for an emergency brake spring compressor.

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see you getting into replacement parts for these old cars!! I have been thinking about the steering racks and how scarce rebuilds are getting. If I had a means-$$$- I would have pursed getting a shop to manufacture the bar with the teeth. And may be a foundry to cast new housings. Then offer new racks. LOL all it takes is lots of $$. If I had $$ I would have a plastics manufacture, make replacement inserts for the GT. And a high strength steel insert for the upper control arm bolt for the 84-87 front crossmember. So much for day dreaming.
dajack761

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dajack761Send a Private Message to dajack761Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received a set of the 88 front and rear sway bar bushing. I installed the front pieces a few weeks ago and finally got around to installing the rear set today. Hopefully you can see the pictures ok.

Before

After

The rear before.

Compare the old and new.

After

I found the quality the rubber bushing to be very good.
They went on pretty easily. They seemed to be shaped differently than stock, but I think the original rubber was shaped by the attachment brackets. I removed both bracket that hold the bushings and disconnected the upper attachment points of the zero lash end links and slid the bar toward the passenger compartment toward the drivers side. I removed the bracket from the bushing with channel lock pliers. Then removed the old bushings from the bar. I lubed the new bushings with silicone lubricant and installed them on the sway bar. Getting the bracket and new bushing back in place took a little effort. The difficult part for me was getting the two in place and getting the screw in straight. I'm sure there is an easy way to do it but I used a breaker bar, an extension and a socket to create a lever of sorts to push the bracket and bushing in to place while I inserted the screw screws. From what I understand, when the front sway bar bushings were installed at the factory, they did so before the front cradle was installed in the car.

Installing the rear sway bar pieces was a piece of cake.

Rodney, thanks for letting me try these new parts out prior to their official release. It looks like you've produced yet another high quality product that we need. Thanks for your continued support our community.

[This message has been edited by dajack761 (edited 12-18-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dajack761:

Hopefully you can see the pictures ok.

Just so you know... images posted here can be up to 1024 pixels in width. The longest side of your image(s) is only 160 pixels. That's very small.

We encourage people to use PIP when posting at PFF so that the images will continue to stick around for awhile.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-17-2014).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These 1988 rubber sway bar to frame bushings are finally here. Some things just take a long time to get finished. But they are here now and in stock.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dang! I just put in poly bushings.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014
Do we need to re-use the current metal straps?
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2015 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Do we need to re-use the current metal straps?

Yes. I doubt anyone would ever reproduce the factory steel straps.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for someone with an 88 4 cylinder notchback. I asked the manufacturer to make me more of the fronts than the rears. I expect to sell more fronts because the 88 4 cylinder coupes have only a front away bar. They messed up and made more of the rears. So I'm going to have them make more fronts. Before I do that I want to know for sure the 88 4 cylinder coupes have the same size front sway bar as the V-6's. Looking for someone to measure their front sway bar and let me know what the diameter is. As far as I know it is the same diameter as the front sway bar used in the V-6 Fiero. If the 88 4 cylinder coupes have a smaller diameter front sway bar I would only ask them to make enough so I have equal amounts of front and rears.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Domtech

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got home and measured the sway bar on my 88 4cyl parts car, it was a few thousandths less than 1.1 inch.
Really easy to measure with no wheels on the car
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2015 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Domtech:

Just got home and measured the sway bar on my 88 4cyl parts car, it was a few thousandths less than 1.1 inch.
Really easy to measure with no wheels on the car

Thanks! Same diameter as the front sway bar used on the V-6 Fieros. So there is only one diameter front sway bar used on all 88 Fieros. 4 cylinder and V-6.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Scottzilla79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2015 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These look great, but I just put poly in mine.
How bout replacement steering rack bushings for the 88? Not available at all!
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2015 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Thanks! Same diameter as the front sway bar used on the V-6 Fieros. So there is only one diameter front sway bar used on all 88 Fieros. 4 cylinder and V-6.

Rodney, all 88s have a 28mm diameter sway bar.

------------------

fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock