Started on: 08-19-2014 11:48 AM
Replies: 17 (569 views)
Last post by: mckaymotoworks on 10-27-2014 03:24 PM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone found a good source for the black window switches for the 84s? I have a small crack in one of mine and want to replace both as they have greyed and become thin and frail. I called The Fiero Store and they only have grey ones.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can use the switches from an 84 Trans Am but they are pretty pricey when you find new ones.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you just take the plastic switch cover and put it on the Fiero switch or use the whole Trans Am switch?
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Indy's switches were crap as well (car only had 19,000 miles too)

Luckily, the 80's Camaros and Firebirds used similar switches. (odd that they still looked good)
While you can't use the switches themselves, the caps can be popped off and swapped onto the Fiero switches.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I scuffed mine and painted with Interior paint You cannot tell the difference. Also did the ashtray doors. Rick B
silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled a mold off of some NOS I had never installed and then made some new ones in Black ,Gray and just for the hell of it some in clear....
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

I pulled a mold off of some NOS I had never installed and then made some new ones in Black ,Gray and just for the hell of it some in clear....

The black ones were spot on as were the gray ones ...

The clear on the otherhand.....Well lets just say they Twerent good....
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a set on ebay right now.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trans Am ones or Fiero ones???
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just cast some new ones with casting resin and black pigment.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

Just cast some new ones with casting resin and black pigment.

It's not that easy. I made some reproductions for a member last year and the center "point" that actually moves the contacts back and forth is very thin. It SEEMS to work fine but I only tested the switch for a little while in my car before putting the stock rocker back in. I never sent them out because I didn't think they would hold up.

Here is a generic photo from the internet. See the thin piece that inserts to move the contacts:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-21-2014).]

fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

It's not that easy. I made some reproductions for a member last year and the center "point" that actually moves the contacts back and forth is very thin. It SEEMS to work fine but I only tested the switch for a little while in my car before putting the stock rocker back in. I never sent them out because I didn't think they would hold up.

Here is a generic photo from the internet. See the thin piece that inserts to move the contacts:

When I casted mine I built up that area and also made the inside underneath the top thicker..(where the plastic always seem to get thin and rubs a hole where you push down with your fingers)

worked out pretty well and still running a couple sets.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

When I casted mine I built up that area and also made the inside underneath the top thicker..(where the plastic always seem to get thin and rubs a hole where you push down with your fingers)

worked out pretty well and still running a couple sets.

At the time, I was just going for a 1 to 1 reproduction. I didn't take the time to try and modify the thickness. I guess I should have. I also made 2 versions. One was stock and the other one had a flat-top rather than "V" shaped. The design came out OK but I just didn't feel confident with the area that I mentioned above. If they work out well, you should consider making them for sale. They do sell a black resin so you wouldn't have to worry about mixing dye in the resin.
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a black resin,and when I made the OE gray I added a little of the black resin to some white till I got an original gray color.

they realy turned out great....I gonna look into it this weekend and see bout making some more..I have the molds for the switches and Holley side scoop..
just cant remember where in the garage I put them..
yello86se

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 197
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yello86seSend a Private Message to yello86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe you can use 05 Dodge Neon Switches, Check autozone, under $10
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there orange lit from another GM that will fit an 84'? I fumble in the dark like crazy locating mine, would be nice to have some illuminated,

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock