To sell or not to sell by Csjag
Started on: 08-08-2014 02:38 PM
Replies: 6 (201 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 08-09-2014 08:35 AM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have two Fieros, an 85 2M4 5 speed and an 85 GT 4 speed. Now that I have new wheels on the GT its a great drive and its in good condition overall. I have had the 2M4 longer, it was a non runner when I got it and now I have it running well and its also fun to drive with the 5 speed. Because I have done all the work on the 2M4 myself I also have a strong attachment to it. The only thing the 2M4 needs now is a repaint of the upper panels. I have the GT on a collector policy so insurance is only $118 a year. The 2m4 is about $33 per month for insurance. The 2M4 is also a backup car for me. With the market the way it is I doubt I would be able to get much more than a $1000 for the 2M4. I am thinking its better to keep it and who knows, in a few years the way more and more Fieros are being scrapped and crushed maybe the values will come up. I can remember when you couldn't hardly give away rubber bumper MGB's and now they are commanding decent prices. I use the MGB comparison because its a sports car that was produced in similar numbers. Opinions??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can afford to keep them, keep them.
If you have no other cars to drive, keep them.
If you must sell the 2m4, consider swapping the transmissions, and have the 5-speed in the GT.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So it will cost you per year $400 + tags etc. for a car you may not use but is fun to drive. Just make it pretty and put it on the same collector policy. Maintaining multiple Fieros plus extra daily drivers is a pain. I wish I could live back in the era when I had only one car to wash/worry about.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm. My '88GT on a regular policy costs me $12 extra per month. $144 per year? Plus $10 tax per year for owning it.

Note, however, that Fieros cost money to have. I got rid of a bike because I couldn't ride it anymore (kids), and didn't want to pay to maintain it. 10,xxx miles on it, but time to go. Just keeping a Fiero up costs money. I keep having to clean mine. I have no idea how leaves get through the car cover, and under the front compartment. Cobwebs form overnight. How does bug/bird poop get through the car cover? Cats/squirrels/racoons are converns. The battery must be maintained, sealy flushed, tires rotated & changed, seals replaced, etc. Ever the search for parts goes on.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know that insurance is a lot higher in Florida even though I live in the sticks. I guess if I got rid of it I could put my attention on the GT plus life is simpler when you have fewer "things" Its a tough call for me, I can see both sides.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero experience has been pretty positive and looks relatively inexpensive through my rose coloured glasses.

I bought my '84 SE 4 speed new & have over 365,000 kilometers (226,800 miles) on it now.
Purchase & all maintenance costs are less than $0.07 per kilometer or $70 per month.
For it's 30th birthday I treated it to a new condition dash & seats from a pick & pull.
It's a daily driver except in wet salty winter weather.
The paint is a little thin on the roof, but it just keeps going... It's fun because it still works!

In 2008 I was looking for a spare in case the '84 breaks down & it takes me a while to fix it.
I ended up finding an '88 Formula 5 speed with 5,200 kilometers (3,200 miles) on it.
Much better than a 'barn find' - it was a 'showroom find'!
I usually have it out a couple of times a week - it's the one I usually take to car shows as well.
I've put 20,000 kilometers (12,500 miles) on it. Beautiful 'new' car! It's fun because it's like new!

In 2011, I found the project I was looking for - an $800 '86 coupe 2.5L 5 speed with 107,000 kilometers (66,500 miles).
I've put '88 wheels, new tires, 'new' condition seats, many miscellaneous parts & an '87 2.5L engine in.
It shares daily driver duties with the '84. It's fun because I fixed it up myself & I like the 5 speed.

So I have one well worn original, one worn in mid-life model & one of the last, hardly worn!

I have regular plates ($90/year each) and regular insurance (average $600/year each) so I can drive them without any restrictions.

I figure the total costs are less than what a single new vehicle every few years would cost in depreciation alone.
I've had several of those as well - have to have something to drive in the wet salty snowy winter weather!
(Also to carry the family of 6...)

All that said, I wouldn't keep Fieros that don't get driven. I don't see their value skyrocketing...
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2014 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing that also factors in that I forgot to mention: I just bought a 16 ft. Bonito tri hull open bow with a 70 hp. Evinrude motor. The boat only needs a few cosmetic touches. The boat will take time away from the cars. I have a 2004 Chevy Venture van that I use as a daily driver and for my part time retirement job. My wife still works fulltime and uses our 07 Mustang convertible for commuting. So I think the scale is tilting towards selling the 2M4 although I hate that it will not sell for much because of the crappy resale market here for Fieros.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock