5.3L V8 from Pontiac Grand Prix GXP by DKcustoms
Started on: 08-07-2014 06:17 PM
Replies: 5 (1666 views)
Last post by: dobey on 08-07-2014 10:10 PM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been lucky enough to be driving around a 2007 Grand Prix GXP for the last couple of days.
That car is just plain quick, surprised I haven't killed myself yet honestly.

Rated at 303bhp and 325 ft. lbs and the wheels.

So obviously, my first though is, has anyone put this motor into a fiero yet?
I'm in the middle of a 3800 swap, but if I ever end up with another fiero I might want to try that.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its called the LS4 and there are several completed swaps in Fiero's and 3 of them have been done with a manual.

Originally posted by fieroguru:
Rickady88GT: 1
Darth Fiero: 2 (blkcofy & Tom Slick)
Fiero King: 4 (Dogcreek and others)
WCF: 2 or 3 (maybe more)
Archie: 1 (Lady Lisa)
Fieroaddiction: 1 or 2 (infinitewill now has one of these but Fiero King reworked it - not included in his count though)

Mwhite: 1 (F40 with aftermarket ecm)
fieroguru: 1 (F40 with stock e67 ecm)
Kemp3: 1 (NSX 5 speed with aftermarket ecm)
Diabloroadster: 1 (auto with aftermarket ecm)

At a minimum there are 15 that have been done (running) or talked about being done on the forum, but I am sure there are others out there too.
There are also a couple of other members who are close to completing theirs as well.

Here is mine!

------------------
Products: 88 13" Brake Kit, 88 12" Brake Kit, 88 Lateral Link Relocation, 84-87 Machined Front Hubs, Custom Machining
Engine Swaps:
LS4/F40, HSR/SBC/F23, Pro-Flo/383/Getrag, 4.3CPI/4T60, Ramjet SBC/Getrag, 4.9/Isuzu, Carb SBC/Isuzu, 4.5/Isuzu

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is mine!

O.o that is VERY clean. I want to do a 3.8SC but im assuming this engine swap is just out of this world. Think this would out do a Northstar swap, as far as cost for power?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

O.o that is VERY clean. I want to do a 3.8SC but im assuming this engine swap is just out of this world. Think this would out do a Northstar swap, as far as cost for power?

I wouldn't say any swap is better than any other, as they all have their advantages and drawbacks and everyone wants something different from the swap.

The LS4/F40 swap took me 3 years with lots of custom fab/machine work to accomplish + about 8K in parts. Most would not consider it worth the effort, but I really like it.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wouldn't say any swap is better than any other, as they all have their advantages and drawbacks and everyone wants something different from the swap.

The LS4/F40 swap took me 3 years with lots of custom fab/machine work to accomplish + about 8K in parts. Most would not consider it worth the effort, but I really like it.

The LS4 is a nice looking fairly modern engine with plenty of power potential. The complexity, cost and amount of work necessary to complete this swap has discouraged me from doing one. You can get similar power potential with a 3800 turbo as Darkhorizon has demonstrated in his 10 sec 1/4 mile Fiero. Like Fieroguru though, I will stop short of saying that either engine is a better swap.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-07-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Engines are just tools. You should pick the best tool for the job you want to do with it.

The LS4 is an awesome engine, which is why I ended up choosing it for my swap build. But like fieroguru said, everything has a list of pros/cons that is different for every person, so saying one is outright better than the other is not really useful. Sticking with an automatic that the LS4 or Northstar comes with, I think either one could be done for similar cost. Because the LS4 is an LS engine though, there are a lot more aftermarket parts available for it, than the Northstar has. Always cheaper and easier to have a single custom ground cam, than four of them.

I originally wanted to do a Northstar when I first got a Fiero. It was the new and interesting V8 to throw in one at the time, and very few people had them. But I could not afford to do it at the time. Several years later, and I changed my mind to wanting to do an LS6 from the C5 Z06 Vette. And then I discovered the LS4, which is basically the same engine, and has the metric bell pattern, and now I'm in the middle of building an LS4 swap for my car. But it's been 15 years since that first notion of wanting to swap in a Northstar.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock