Undercoating a Fiero by kgoodyear
Started on: 08-05-2014 07:26 PM
Replies: 7 (233 views)
Last post by: kgoodyear on 08-06-2014 01:36 PM
kgoodyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My mechanic is finally done with his part on the 3800 sc and I can start my job--plumbing, suspension, insolation and so on. I'm starting by having the engine tub media blasted and was thinking about having the underside bead blasted as well. After that I was kicking around the idea of coating the underside with the Line-x pickup bed coating. I won't be coating the engine tub with the coating. Is this a waste of money and unnecessary?

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bare Fiero spaceframes were dunked in an anti-corrosion bath at the factory (the black finish you see on the frame).

Once you strip all that factory coating off, you WILL have to recoat everything with some kind of rust proofing even if it's not a winter driver.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had my '04 Ford truck bed coated with Line-X when it was new (in '04), and the coating is still perfect, with no sign of coming off anywhere Line-X is sprayed on hot, and the truck is ready to go 30 minutes later, when it cools. But I'm not sure how they would put it on the underside of a car. You'd have to put the car on a lift, and I doubt that the typical Line-X dealer has a lfit.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're right. They will do wheel wells but not the underside. Also, they can not do the engine bay because the heat is just too high,. Thanks guys.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
POR-15
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lizard Skin

edit to fix the link and to say you can get it from Summit and eBay

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 08-06-2014).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have the cradle powder coated.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Powder coating is a great idea. There are other components in the suspension I am also going to have powder coated. I've got a 2 part paint for the engine bay.

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock