help! ... i can't turn left??? by 88White3.4GT
Started on: 08-04-2014 08:00 PM
Replies: 29 (558 views)
Last post by: 88White3.4GT on 08-14-2014 02:01 AM
88White3.4GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i backed out of my garage to go to work this morning, and i heard a weird noise and couldn't turn my wheel completely to the left, only to the right. I thought maybe because it was sitting for a few days, but when i went up to the street light to make a u turn, i couldn't, i could only turn sharp enough to make a left into the next street. Anyways, i had to make a few right hand turns to get back home LOL! what's going on???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88White3.4GT:

what's going on???

What did you see when you took off the front wheels?
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just got home, i'm going to go check it out now
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope it's nothing serious - Very glad it happened when it did (and not on some major road)

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe you've got a raccoon lodged up in a front wheel well.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
steering rack??
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i see the problem now. when i turn to the left, only 3/4 revolution it stops. i then move the steering wheel back and forth and I can see the tie rod connecting to the rack is way too loose, i can move it with my hand. where to go from here??? is there parts to rebuild this, or do i need a new steering rack?
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

well i see the problem now. when i turn to the left, only 3/4 revolution it stops. i then move the steering wheel back and forth and I can see the tie rod connecting to the rack is way too loose, i can move it with my hand. where to go from here??? is there parts to rebuild this, or do i need a new steering rack?

It sounds like your inner tie rod is shot from what you just said.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney Dickman
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Rodney Dickman

i checked, doesn't look like he has anything for the 88, i would buy from him as i've done before many times in the past.
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88White3.4GT

1604 posts
Member since Dec 2003
Has anyone changed an inner tie rod?? i just saw a video off youtube, looks pretty easy, just have to rent the 'tool' to remove the inner, and then take the car in for alignment. FS has just the inner and outer tie rod kit as a whole for the 88
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney sells them buy from him. It's a fairly easy job. Take out the spare tire tub so you can get a better angle on it. While you are doing it replace the steering rack bushing.
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hiwil88formula:

Rodney sells them buy from him. It's a fairly easy job. Take out the spare tire tub so you can get a better angle on it. While you are doing it replace the steering rack bushing.

i didn't think the spare tire tub could be taken out, are there bolts below the spare? like an access point? I'm not sure how to change the rack bushing
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you remove your spare, you will be able to see how the tub is attached. When you remove the tub lining, you can look near direct onto the steering rack.

Rodney Dickman also sells steering rack bushings; he actually sells everything you need to fix your car. I just checked his page and he has all the '88 specific components you need. The '88 specific parts are in sub-sections on his page.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should he do both sides?
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Has anyone changed an inner tie rod?? i just saw a video off youtube, looks pretty easy, just have to rent the 'tool' to remove the inner, and then take the car in for alignment. FS has just the inner and outer tie rod kit as a whole for the 88

You don't use a Inner tie rod tool like on most newer racks, the rack has to be disassembled to remove the tie rod from the ends of the rack. I would suggest that you change both inner tie rods while you are at it. Check the outers for play as well.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

help! ... i can't turn left

Are you sure the right turn signal isn't just stuck?

sorry, the devil made me say it.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 08-05-2014).]

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

You don't use a Inner tie rod tool like on most newer racks, the rack has to be disassembled to remove the tie rod from the ends of the rack. I would suggest that you change both inner tie rods while you are at it. Check the outers for play as well.

so the you're saying the entire rack has to be dropped out of the car and then i can take the inner tie rods out using the tool they supply?? or do i lift the car and there are disconnection points underneath. Here is the link to the video i'm referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/wat...NI4eMqlob1biOtaIs8NF
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

Sorry, but this is totally inaccurate.
The inner tie rods and the tie rod ends can be changed with the rack in the car.
An inner tie rod tool can be used, but is not required.
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Sorry, but this is totally inaccurate.
The inner tie rods and the tie rod ends can be changed with the rack in the car.
An inner tie rod tool can be used, but is not required.

It's not inaccurate. Here is a link showing what the Pontiac service manual says. And I didn't say you had to remove the rack from the car but it is easier that way. Plus you have to stake the new tie rod after it's tightened. I've never worked on a newer car rack that needed to have that done.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-121241.html
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The work can be easily done with the rack in the car in under an hour.
Remove outer tie rod ends
Remove boots
Remove inner tie rods (passenger side requires removal of damper assembly prior to boot removal)
Reinstall inners and stake
Reinstall boots (and damper)
Reinstall outers

I have done lots of racks this way.
PFF
System Bot
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The work can be easily done with the rack in the car in under an hour.
Remove outer tie rod ends
Remove boots
Remove inner tie rods (passenger side requires removal of damper assembly prior to boot removal)
Reinstall inners and stake
Reinstall boots (and damper)
Reinstall outers

I have done lots of racks this way.

ok thanks, i'm waiting on parts from rodney dickman, hopefully i can get this done by the weekend. what do you mean by "stake" the inner tie rod?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Staking" refers to using a punch and hammer to distort the threads on the inner tie rod where it attaches to the rack. The femal3 end of the inner is thin enough to distort with a punch and a solid hit with a big hammer.
The process is shown in the link posted by TONY_C.
Good luck with your repair.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I did my 88 I just used a pipe wrench and the inner tie rods easily came off. As you rotate them the ends of the flats on the rack open up and reshape the thin steel area on the inner tie rods.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

When I did my 88 I just used a pipe wrench and the inner tie rods easily came off. As you rotate them the ends of the flats on the rack open up and reshape the thin steel area on the inner tie rods.

Thanks Rodney, i just got your parts today, everything looks good, thanks for the written instructions that'll help a lot.
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, i got the outer off the control arm, and man that inner feels really weak, I can move it around with no problem, and worse its not even hand tight into the rack; i can turn it with my fingers. But i can only get the first clamp off the front of the boot, i can't for the life of me reach the rear one, that tab is like between the frame of the car and the inner arm. Its literally like 1/2" of clearance. how'd you guys do it??
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
have you taken out the spare tire tub? If you have, you will see that you have a lot of room to get to the rack. Here is a pic of my rack off the car. It may help to look at it like this. I also have a pic somewhere of the tub out, and you can see the rack.

Rob
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the four bolts holding the rack on are in good condition and don't look they will break if you remove them, just take the rack out and do it on the bench. It's how I have done it, twice. You can pull the rack out and grease it too that way.
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
finally got that clamp broken free and that boot was stuck on there good. Well, now i see why i couldn't turn left, that plastic white 'bushing' just inside the rack housing had fallen outside of the edging, binding up against the edge of the rack housing and keeping me from making a complete turn. if that makes sense, that bushing is about 70% left. I can't pull the entire rack out because my garage is so small, and my HOA will freak out if i decided to do this in the parking lot, so i'm stuck with snugging up against the drivers side wall and crawling out the passenger side with about 3ft of room to spare.
by the way, yeah, i got most of that spare tire tub out and thats how i was able to access that back clamp. I can't break free of one of those sunroof glass holder tabs, so its like half ways out :/

[This message has been edited by 88White3.4GT (edited 08-10-2014).]

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the help everyone. I finally got it fixed tonight, that brass bushing took awhile to get drilled and riveted in, it wouldn't slide on place so i had to sand the inside some for it to fit, but everything is put back together waiting to take it tomorrow for alignment.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock