I apologize for my lack of Wheel and Bolt Pattern Knowledge by DKcustoms
Started on: 07-30-2014 09:24 AM
Replies: 13 (1222 views)
Last post by: DKcustoms on 08-01-2014 12:12 PM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know there are numerous threads about running which wheels on these cars and people's opinions on adapters and what-not, but none of them have given me a concrete Yes or No as to what works.
I have already seen and copied the chart about which offsets work with Fieros, that's not the question I have.

I purchased a 2001 Bonneville SSEi for my 3800 swap, and it came with either 17 or 18 inch rims (i forget which they are) that I like and would like to put on the Fiero.
Obviously, the Fiero bolt pattern is 5x100, where as the Bonneville bolt pattern is either 5x114.5 as some claim, 5x114.3 as others claim, or 5x115 as this site claims.

Bonneville as these rims by the way.

Now, I don't know if I would be able to determine which of the three measurements the wheels are by measuring myself, but I also haven't tried yet.

Which brings me to my next problem.
The following three links are the only hub adapters I could find in the proper measurements, all by the same manufacturer.

Amazon

Ebay 1

Ebay 2

Can someone tell me, with a concrete Yes or No, if these adapters would allow me to run these rims on the Fiero?
(I'm not worrier about the offset at the moment) All comments, advice, and questions are welcome.
Thanks

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 07-30-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would look for true 5x100 to 5x115 adapters since they sell them. They call 114.3-115 a 4.5" but I wouldn't gamble. Get a true 115mm adapter.
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess what I'm asking is how can I find what the bolt pattern truly is, and is there a huge difference between 114.3mm and 115mm that would cause a problem.
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DKcustoms

1071 posts
Member since Oct 2013
I've also found these.

http://www.performancewheel...o-5x115-Wheel/Detail

Any thoughts?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

.....and is there a huge difference between 114.3mm and 115mm that would cause a problem.

This is from a wheel manufacturer:

The bolt patterns 5 x 4.5” and 5 x 115mm are actually within about half a millimeter of each other. (4.5” is 114.3mm) As such, it is possible to fit a 5 x 4.5” wheel on a 5 x 115mm car, but the fit will not actually be as correct as it might seem. Even that half a millimeter of difference means that the lug studs will not be centered in the wheel's lug holes, and when the lugnuts are torqued on, that lack of centering will bend the lug studs and cause the wheels to vibrate. If you have one of these two bolt patterns, take extra care – such as calling up a tire or wheel retailer or looking online - to ensure that you have the proper bolt pattern on both the wheels and the car!

From every chart that I have seen, your wheels are 5x115. That wheel spans from 1987-2005 on Bonnevilles

Here is how to find your pattern. Measure as in the picture to the CENTER of the 2 studs....not the outside or inside:

If the distance is:
2-5/8" - the bolt pattern is 5 on 4-1/2
2-3/4" - the bolt pattern is 5 on 4-3/4
3" - the bolt pattern is 5 on 5
3-1/4" - the bolt pattern is 5 on 5-1/2

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-30-2014).]

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

From every chart that I have seen, your wheels are 5x115. That wheel spans from 1987-2005 on Bonnevilles

Thank you very much, I appreciate your input.
I just wanted to get the opinions and knowledge of those who know more than I do on the subject before I dropped $140 on these adapters
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edit.....

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-30-2014).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
5x115 is not the same as 5x114.3.
115 is a metric spacing, and is the correct pattern for your wheels.
114.3 is actually 4.5" and is an old Ford and Dodge pattern. Ford still uses it. Dodge now uses 115, as well.

As the quote states, they can be bolted up, but the lug studs will be bent to one side, causing a sideways stress on a stud that is designed to be placed under tension only. Sounds risky to me.

Having said all that, I have seen several wheels that look very similar to the Bonneville wheels, that come in a 5x100 pattern. I'd be leaning in that direction. (I know you said you weren't talking about offset, but it needs talking about, unless you are installing some sort of wide body kit that will accommodate those wheels and the spacers.)
------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-30-2014).]

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know how to measure the bolt pattern, but when you are talking about .7mm either way, kind hard to do without some seriously accurate tools.

Originally posted by Raydar:

5x115 is not the same as 5x114.3.
115 is a metric spacing, and is the correct pattern for your wheels.

(I know you said you weren't talking about offset, but it needs talking about, unless you are installing some sort of wide body kit that will accommodate those wheels and the spacers.)

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your wheels are 5 x 115mm.

When in doubt, look up your wheel bearings in the Timken catalog (513121 = 5x115mm or 5x4.53").

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Your wheels are 5 x 115mm.

When in doubt, look up your wheel bearings in the Timken catalog (513121 = 5x115mm or 5x4.53").

Good deal, thanks for the tip!
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

I guess what I'm asking is how can I find what the bolt pattern truly is, and is there a huge difference between 114.3mm and 115mm that would cause a problem.

While some people may say otherwise, I would recommend getting the exact right part. These are your wheels. How do you feel about them coming loose on a road trip? How much would that save?

There are a lot of practices that you can get away with that aren't idea. Do it right and you don't have to worry about it.
If you want to run 5x115 wheels permanently, I'd consider changing the bolt pattern. That's the proper way. Properly sized adapters would be a second choice. I wouldn't even consider anything that says it's for multiple sizes unless it has multiple sets of holes. Some come with elongated holes - I'd never run those on my car. Your mileage may vary.
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I'm going to try these
http://www.performancewheel...o-5x115-Wheel/Detail

until I get to a point where I can swap hubs to a 5x115
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought these adapters this morning.

The seller has guaranteed they will work.
We shall see.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock