interior rear panel ideas by maybenot
Started on: 07-17-2014 07:47 PM
Replies: 12 (546 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 07-27-2014 06:10 PM
maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys,
i'm gonna be pulling the headliner and fiberglass/recover and while doing some planning,
i was thinking about doing something with the rear panel. I would love to just glass over it,
bit the hairy thing on it now won't allow, and i can't afford the new plastic one from the fiero store.
What have you guys done, or would suggest. i may be forced to cover it in vinyl,
but i would think it might get ripped or punctured easily.
thanks
johnny
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That fuzzy carpet stuff comes off. If you cover it in vinyl I would suggest putting some sort of thin foam down first to help hide any imperfections. The previous owner of one of mine stripped off the fuzzy carpet and covered it in regular vinyl and it looks terrible. My plan is to cover mine in the imitation suede headliner material that had the thin foam backing on it.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont mind the fabric/carpet. If you had interior stuff covered in fiberglass wouldnt the audio sort of bounce off it and sort of echo?
maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it might, but if i turn it up really load maybe i wont notice.
i might just try pulling it off the skeleton and see what i'm working with. was just trying to see what options there are that are cheap and look decent.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maybenot:

i might just try pulling it off the skeleton and see what I'm working with.

I replaced the fuzzy stuff some time ago, and I have a good description of what you can expect in my work log. Lots of pictures showing what all is entailed. In the time since I had done that, I have decided to re-do it with the same black micro fiber that I am using on my headliner. This will match better for one, and allow more sound dampening in the interior.

maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow, nice write up john, and project. thanks
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I redid the entire interior of my Cobra II from the headliner to the door pads with denim easy enough to find in any fabric store and looked great when done. Contact cement is your friend, available at any parts store.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I redid the entire interior of my Cobra II from the headliner to the door pads with denim

I would love to see some pictures of that!

maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
see, thats outside the box!.
i wanna see pics too.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

see, thats outside the box!.
i wanna see pics too.

Sorry guys no pictures mid 80s and no digital photos and the regular ones I did have I couldn't find if my life depended on it. I am not exactly one of those suit and tie guys and wanted my car to fit my lifestyle, jeans and a t shirt.

I will tell you the wife Fierowitch was a great help with her sewing skills, she helped by making the hanging headliner for those of you who remember those style headliners. I hung it and stretched it, that was one of my jobs when I worked at GM as utility repair and I was familiar with it. Got 8 stitches in 1973 in my right hand to prove it. You kids don't know how easy you got it with the Fieros and the solid headliner, back before these solid headliners they were all hung/suspended from the roof and stretched to the outer edges. Talk about a royal pain in the ass !

But that was my style not necessarily yours so do whatever you want to your cars and post pictures and be proud of your work. This new digital world has created so many advantages and problems for us all, even when photos were on paper if you didn't have multiple photos stored in multiple places many, like those of my Cobra II"s denim interior are lost forever. So backup all you photos in multiple places and ways, get some paper ones made for your walls as well. Especially of family and friends.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do to your cars and again, post some pictures for all of us to see yours !

Steve

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2014 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull off the carpet like stuff and recover it with headliner material.

[This message has been edited by BrittB (edited 07-27-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2014 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What have you guys done, or would suggest.

I threw that stupid thing away and put dynamat and carpet insulation directly on the metal firewall. Cover it all with carpet. You can add extra insulation on the engine compartment side if you want more. If you do this, you will get MORE LEGROOM. You'll be able to move the seat back more than an inch and also recline the seat further. Getting rid of that thing was one of the best things i ever did.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 07-27-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my conv. Fiero, I just covered it in vinyl. Held up very well. I would do it again. Contact cement.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 07-27-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock