88 Fiero Recall by FieroTony
Started on: 07-17-2014 03:29 PM
Replies: 8 (539 views)
Last post by: Fieronut83 on 07-19-2014 02:04 PM
FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need an A/C accumulator; quick. This came up on my 88 on the Pep Boys website. So these catch on fire to????

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, I would assume this would come up mainly because of the rumors that were talked about even back then.

The 1984 Model was the only year to catch on fire. It was partially due to a fault within the manual and on the dipstick stating the car only needed 3 quarts of oil to run. The real amount was more like 4.5 so it was always low on oil without anyone knowing.

Everything you read about on the PepBoys website is for the 84' model year. By 88' the car's were as good as they can get (as far as we know.)
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-17-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:
The 1984 Model was the only year to catch on fire.

Not true. The 84 was the only one famous for fires.

There was also the issue of the decklid weatherstrip recall, which was also a potential fire hazard, as combustible materials could be dumped on the exhaust manifold.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 07-17-2014).]

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They were all recalled, and all linked to fires. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't have all the correct info. Some v6 models had a different manifold, all v6 had a few heat shields added and were checked for leaks, a different intake tube and a few other things. I had an 87GT that caught on fire. . Heres a link to recall info: http://floridafieros.org/osg/recalls.html

[This message has been edited by smartaxel (edited 07-17-2014).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

They were all recalled, and all linked to fires. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't have all the correct info.

Exactly. I recall there being a couple smaller, partial recalls, then later a big one that involved all Fieros (which obviously required different fixes if they were 4- or 6-cylinder). It was the lead story on the national news that evening - "GM announced today a recall of every Pontiac Fiero ever made..."

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep.. That was why as a teenager I was never allowed to get one, and that began my infatuation with them.. The Consumers Reports Buying guides used to have the recalls listed and I remember seeing the Fieros all recalled somewhere in the early 90s
Fieronut83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieronut83Send a Private Message to Fieronut83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe my car was recalled in 91 or 92. I was stationed in Colorado at the time. I've had it since new (1987) and never had any major issues.

John
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieronut83:

I believe my car was recalled in 91 or 92. I was stationed in Colorado at the time. I've had it since new (1987) and never had any major issues.

John

Just the occasional minor ones...
Fieronut83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieronut83Send a Private Message to Fieronut83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Just the occasional minor ones...

Ya, you can say that again! I think mine has Gremlins. Funny none of the recalls mentioned that.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock