Started on: 07-17-2014 10:41 AM
Replies: 23 (1046 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 12-22-2016 05:44 PM
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone making these? I have a set, and it seems like they are worth more than their weight in gold.

Just wondering the value on them.

I was thinking about this some more and I have a feeling that these are not reproductions, but original C&C ones. I know I bought some parts from C&C (Fairmount?) back when I had my Formula T-top. I will have to check for paperwork. Hmmm

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 07-17-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroReinke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No idea on value, but I do know they would be a perfect application of a 3D printer.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroReinke:

No idea on value, but I do know they would be a perfect application of a 3D printer.

Yup, they would, if the material is strong enough (or a metal insert is used to keep the plastic from breaking).

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM Sent
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it would be a good idea to make molds from a set of good ones, and then cast them in a low temperature alloy. They'd be stronger than plastic. The seat end caps would also be a good candidate for this.
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think there were only two people making repos. Myself and Camel. Camel still makes them. I can tell you those you posted are not mine. I added a reinforcement to the rear. They look like originals to me- which means they are probably worth a good amount.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

I think there were only two people making repos. Myself and Camel. Camel still makes them. I can tell you those you posted are not mine. I added a reinforcement to the rear. They look like originals to me- which means they are probably worth a good amount.

Yeah, that was my thought.... someone who really, really want NOS parts. I think I may have to come up with a price, or stick them on ebay. I think fieroparts (??) may have a set listed for $600.... I don't think they are worth that much, but... hmmm. could fund another project

Thanks
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroReinke:

3D printers are now printing in metal so strength is not an issue.

NASA is aggressively working on building rocket parts using 3D printing technology

http://www.popularmechanics...ket-engines-15146569
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fyi. They are NOS from C & C stock. I bought them when they went under the new name. The box had the address. So I guess I need to decide on a price. Thanks everyone.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

NASA is aggressively working on building rocket parts using 3D printing technology

SpaceX is already manufacturing rocket parts using 3D printing technology (not just working on it). Click for article.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just look on E bay as NOS are sold once in a while.

Most I have seen have been $100-120 normally but you could get lucky and go higher.

I have two sets but I will hold on to them as I still have my T Top. I also have a set of NOS tops too.
I bought them as one drop and you are screwed. Insurance will pay for them but try to find a set that is not scratched up.

The way I look at it I may need them If not I can sell them later at a profit as they will only increase over what I paid.
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reproductions were $159 I thought
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These can easily be cast from plastic in a mold.

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 07-17-2014).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Reproductions were $159 I thought

They may have been but I have never priced them. I just know I have seen the originals around 100-120 range and just filed it back in my mind as the going rate a year or so ago.

Now that is not to say I have not see some for $250 too but those I do not believe sold. The prices on these generally are like so many other parts. It is one lower price till you get lucky and list them when two people need them bad. If no one needs them badly they will wait it out or just not buy, But get a guy who has nothing there and they are bouncing around he may go to bat vs. another bidder if needed.

The caps are not that common but no where as rare or valuable as the gaskets. Now those are black gold,
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

SpaceX is already manufacturing rocket parts using 3D printing technology (not just working on it). Click for article.

Yeah well, SpaceX is building rockets to supply services for NASA, so it's all good. The NASA rocket parts have been test fired. But the NASA rockets (which are much bigger) are still in development

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 07-17-2014).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Yeah well, SpaceX is building rockets to supply services for NASA, so it's all good. The NASA rocket parts have been test fired. But the NASA rockets (which are much bigger) are still in development

Is that what caused their booster to collapse the other day on splash down? Was that a printer error. LOL!
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

The caps are not that common but no where as rare or valuable as the gaskets. Now those are black gold,

Yup, and the ones with my kit (complete used top kit that I have for sale) are in really good shape. I just don't want to remove them from the frame as I could ruin them and that would be a shame.
pcwentworth

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2016 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcwentworthSend a Private Message to pcwentworthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I am putting my T top parts together and in need of the corners. Did anyone end up producing reproduction parts. Looks like there was some discussion a few years back.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2016 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These might be an item slammed would be interested in producing.
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2016 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

These might be an item slammed would be interested in producing.

I would be in for a set if the price was not outrageously high.
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2016 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get me some and I'll make them
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one or two spare sets of the t-top end caps that have never been installed or painted in my parts storage facility. I know one set was acquired from Smartaxle quite a few years back but do not remember if the other set is OEM or another reproduction. Since I have two t-top cars and one of them has cracked screw holes in an endcap, I consider these essential parts if I want to keep the cars looking decent.

Nelson
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even good sets are at risk of cracking as they get brittle with age. If stored well they will hold up better.

This is a prime part for a computer print as if you can scan it this would be an easy one to do and I would guess it would not cost too much for someone with the printer.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2016 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW, there was a set of used OEM end caps for sale on eBay earlier today. $125 IIRC.

Nelson

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock