Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Sneak Peek of a new Fiero Fiberglass product... Side Skirts!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Sneak Peek of a new Fiero Fiberglass product... Side Skirts! by Synthesis
Started on: 07-15-2014 09:31 AM
Replies: 25 (1708 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 07-23-2014 10:18 PM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't often have enough time/money/skills to perform a serious upgrade to my Fiero, whether that be cosmetic or functional, so when I find myself with a new item to install I want to show it off...

Before I post pictures I'll give you a brief description of the product.

These side skirts were originally designed and built by MinnGreenGT for his 87 green GT. They offer a more modern, contoured side profile which makes the car look more aggressive in my opinion.

They are built very well, and do require some trimming in order to install. An easy task with a reciprocating saw and a thin wood/plastic blade for curves.

On with the photos.
Side profile shot, pre-paint. The skirt is installed with rivets in the sill plate, and ready for screws in the wheel wells.
There aren't any supports on the underside due to mold limitations. This will be resolved with some quick setting epoxy, a couple of bolts attached to the backside of the skirt, and some bent aluminum bar to provide bracing back to the factory skirt mounting point.

Even without this bracing, the part has minimal flex and movement once riveted in place.

An angled shot showing the side skirt and how it sits. I had an issue with my factory skirts being pushed in too far on the car and not looking right. The previous owner had removed all of the rivets holding things in place and reinstalled with Christmas tree fasteners. They fell out, and the side skirts never sat right.
These stick out a small amount when you cut along the molded path.

I have about an hour into the actual installation, including trimming.
I'll drill the rivets back out tonight and paint the skirts up to match the car. Once that is done, I'll slide it back in place and re-rivet.

A view of what the skirts look like finished.

I don't believe pricing has been set for these yet, but I know that the quality construction and ease of installation, as well as the fantastic looks will make them worth every penny.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 07-15-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good work and they look OK. To me personally though, they add some curved body lines that dont go with the car design. To me they would look better just straight, but then they would look like everyone else...soooo. Just a matter of taste.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have to disagree Roger. I think they generally match the contours that are already present in the front & rear fascias where they end at the wheel-well opening. These ares are not at all flat on an aero-bodied Fiero. Also, I think it's even a better match when accompanied by an extended front fascia or lower air dam.

...of course, I am biased!

These are some pics I put together back in 2003, when deciding whether or not to use the tapered door trim from the AusFiero Stage 2 kit...

...and another from 2008 with fresh(er) paint:

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 07-15-2014).]

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob,
I thought yours came from a BMW?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice Job Chris though I do like the originals on my 86 SE that are straighter but to each his own. Hell I can't see how you guys with all that lower crap on the front and sides can get in and out of driveways, never mind down a pot hole filled street without damaging them? One of the reasons I put the regular nose on my SE instead of the one that belongs there. Of course living in the woods does have a tendency to create problems with lower setting cars. It must be the grass in those other pictures but is that car lowered? Because if it is I would never be able to get it out of my driveway without ripping half those lower moldings off.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Rob,
I thought yours came from a BMW?

Correct... this style/shape rocker panel is based on the rockers originally found on the BMW (E36) M3 - and are generally referred to as "M3 Side Skirts".

Built the originals in 2003, and recently worked with Jimmy @ Fiero Fiberglass to make these available to the general public!

------------------

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Good work and they look OK. To me personally though, they add some curved body lines that dont go with the car design. To me they would look better just straight, but then they would look like everyone else...soooo. Just a matter of taste.

Can't agree more. The lower Fiero GT fascia has a design line that runs level from rear bumper to the front one. It has a purpose. If you just plug a skirt in the middle it completely breaks that line and to many will look a little odd or out of place. Some people will never notice it. I do. The green car is not that obvious because the added front lower spoiler helps to keep the new line even if the rear bumper is off. That is why a complete ground effects kit will include three pieces for front, side and rear. The old Fiero Kamei kit was like that.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For what it's worth, the body "lines" on a stock GT do not run level from the front fascia to the rear. The rear fascia "trim" area is a notable up-sweep from the central body. And the lines that DO line up, are unchanged with the M3 style rocker, because they are relative to the aero trim. FWIW - I would like to see some sort of a change to the rear fascia to enhance the lines and balance back there, but have yet to see something that "does it" for me.

In any case, I guess I've been away from PFF for too long. I vaguely remember a group that was generally supportive, even if something wasn't quite to their "taste". You know... the good old "atta boy" and "GLWS" or even "to each their own"!?

I originally built & installed these 10+ years ago on the GreenGT. I didn't ask anyone then if THEY liked it then, and no one actually asked that question now. It was no secret. Everyone on PFF knew about them. Since then I have had countless people inquire about making them available. The car has been to 3 national events and countless regional & local shows, and not once have I ever had anyone respond so negatively. Maybe those who didn't like them just kept it to themselves, which seems polite. Now this topic comes up, indicating that they're finally available from a top, reputable Fiero vendor - and suddenly the critics get vocal? I don't get it...? If you don't like something. Don't buy it. But no need to rag on it either...
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah yeah, ok they are not "perfectly" level. You had your opportunity to disagree so why shouldn't I? It is a fairly new thread with two out of only four people saying they would like it a little different. Why the big whining about being negative and dragging an issue? If I can't post my opinion then try to get the moderator job.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Yeah yeah, ok they are not "perfectly" level. You had your opportunity to disagree so why shouldn't I? It is a fairly new thread with two out of only four people saying they would like it a little different. Why the big whining about being negative and dragging an issue? If I can't post my opinion then try to get the moderator job.

Wow... I thought I might just be cranky and lacking for sleep, but I see it's a "mood" thing around here. I was under the impression that I knew some of the people around here better than that...

Whatever. Have at it. Freedom of the press & whatnot. Guess I'll go back to "real life" for awhile.

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 07-15-2014).]

mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good Chris, can't wait to see it in person next week.
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like em. Great job. when will they be on FF website?
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think they look pretty sweet. I think it depends what other body mods the car has if the look would work or not. At any rate it provides options for people that have damaged factory rockers. Hmm. I wonder how they would look with my 512 nose. Although I don't think I need to make the sides of my car ANY lower, probably a little too low already for a practical daily driver.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job MinnGreen and jimmy !

Rob have always been a big fan of your car and i luckily got to finally see it up in Michigan at the anniversary show a few years back.

The new skirts look great, but i do agree thay look even better with a chin spoiler.

Hey if you don't like it,..don't buy it. Leave it for those who do like it, which i am sure there will be plenty.

Any time you put a new product out there, you have to have thick skin cause the negative opinions will always find their way to you. Good luck and thanks for your efforts.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 07-16-2014).]

Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it flows really well together.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the other side fitted last night, but have to wait for parts from the Fiero Store in order to get the lower quarter trim re-attached. Once that is done, I can get the rocker reattached.

I epoxied four studs to the back of each rocker last night and will be bending the aluminum brace-work over the next day or so.
Waiting on molding clip kits from The Fiero Store before I can get the car completely re-assembled.

For the record, I have a front lower nose piece I can flip over identical to what MinnGreen has in his photos.
I haven't installed it because honestly the bra is hiding the fact that it is a SE front fascia with ribbed molding in poor condition on the car.
I'm looking for a GT Fascia with the correct molding in order to get the front end back to the way I like it.

Also, some photoshop work (thanks to MinnGreen) to show what it will look like when complete.

And a 'shop of a paint scheme I'm pondering after it was posted... Ignore the black above the belt line for the Bra.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 07-16-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im not being negative Minn, I always liked your car too. Its just individual taste, that I think it just adds curves to a body that should be straight. If there were other lines, like fender bulges or something to mimic the line, they would blend in. Just my opinion, but it looks to me like someone raised a car by the rocker with a floor jack and bent it. Just like someone with black rims always looked to me like a car with stolen/lost hubcaps. Its simply preference. Obviously, lots like them too. There are lots of people that dont like green cars too, but yours looks great.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plus for Rob and sharing his work, and plus for Synthesis for the build thread.

Great stuff both ways.

Bob
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So yeah... I really was tired & crabby. Definitely appreciate the positive feedback from those who offered it!

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Im not being negative Minn, I always liked your car too. Its just individual taste, that I think it just adds curves to a body that should be straight. If there were other lines, like fender bulges or something to mimic the line, they would blend in. Just my opinion, but it looks to me like someone raised a car by the rocker with a floor jack and bent it. Just like someone with black rims always looked to me like a car with stolen/lost hubcaps. Its simply preference. Obviously, lots like them too. There are lots of people that dont like green cars too, but yours looks great.

Roger - appreciate your added reply. I certainly can understand that not all modifications are to everyone's liking - just seemed light a surprisingly "cold" response at first. Thanks - I always find it a bit funny that a not uncommon response to my GreenGT is "I don't normally like green cars, but yours looks good..." I can work with that!

Originally posted by Grantman:

...when will they be on FF website?

Chris, another "early-adopter" and myself need to supply some more high resolution photos to Jimmy, and he'll add them to the site soon. I'm 99% sure he will be offering them for sale at $350/pair.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 07-18-2014).]

JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw these on facebook also!! I like them and hope to get a set. I do have a steep driveway, but I am game to try. I like that they are similar to the last gen Firebird. I think they are a nice touch. As with all fiero mods to each his own. That is the fun of owning one. Nicely done!!!

JJ
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JJFieroFan:

...I do have a steep driveway, but I am game to try.

I've never really had any issues with clearance of the side-skirts (the lower air dam, yes - the sides, no) with angled driveways or transitions. I've had a few HUGE speed bumps make me nervous, but that's it. The only time they are a clearance issue is when putting the car on a 2-post lift. I have always remove mine to avoid any potential issues there.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about something like the Lotus Espriit.

There was a guy in California several years back that made a nice Fiero nose styled after the Esprit but he seems to have disappeared from sight. If he offered rockers like this to match the overall effect would be very nice.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The side skirts remind me SO much of My Z24 Cavalier I had back in the 90's. The look was good enough that the GM engineers came up with it, and that it made it on a factory production vehicle

I really miss that car, it also had a 2.8 engine, and was FULLY loaded. It had a digital dash and looked like a friggin cockpit how every button, control & switch lit up and was back lit at night.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 07-19-2014).]

JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My worry would be the front and maybe if I end up having anything bolted to the front wheel wells. That is where I had issues with my 02 firebird with factory ground effect package! I had 5 years and maybe 40 k if that on it. When I traded it everything around the front wheels was coming loose and the front was scraped up underneath. And I baby my cars. So I might just do sides and forgo any mods to front fascia. I would love to get an '02 TA sometime but that would be a concern. That car had a major issue climbing hills in the winter or I might still have it. Thanks for the input.

JJ
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to MinnGreenGT for snapping these photos.

In the last photo, the gap between the rocker and the door/lower molding is caused by not having a brace behind the rocker.
I have not installed the aluminum bar behind the back section of the rocker yet, but will be doing so tonight or tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 07-21-2014).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:
I always find it a bit funny that a not uncommon response to my GreenGT is "I don't normally like green cars, but yours looks good..." I can work with that!

Well hell...
I like green cars. And I still think yours looks good.

I like the rockers. And if you want to split hairs and start drawing lines, I find the upswept line in the rocker to be on a nearly parallel plane with the bottom edge of the GT fascia, without the lower air dam extension.

Good show! I wish y'all luck.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave