Lubing cradle bolts by 2.5
Started on: 07-07-2014 11:33 AM
Replies: 17 (377 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 07-15-2014 04:37 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see these horror stories about trying to get rusted cradle bolts out and though my 2 fieros dont appear rusty in the cradle area, I would like to head off this problem before I need to drop a cradle.

Can a good penetrant / protectant be sprayed onto the bolts in the cradle frame through a hole, or would one need to be drilled?

One '88 and one '86.

Thanks

Pics help too

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-07-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simple solution. Use a thin coat of anti-sieze on the bolts, reinstall. Anti-sieze is very water resistant and will last a long time.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

Simple solution. Use a thin coat of anti-sieze on the bolts, reinstall. Anti-sieze is very water resistant and will last a long time.

Yes but mine are not out, they were installed at the factory
KillerFrogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not think there is any easy access. I pulled my cradle last week, and wanted to do the same thing, as my car is a rust belt car, I figured I would fight with them. Looked just about everywhere, and it didn't look like there is an easy way to get to the tops of the rear ones. I believe they go right into the frame rails basically.

My trunk corners are rusted out, and I thought that would give me a view of them. Nope =(

I just bit the bullet, and used a breaker bar with a 4ft arm. They were stiff, but were not locked thankfully. But now that you mention it, and mine is off, ill go take a look and see if there is any access to the tops of the bolts.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tackled this when I rebuilt the frame rails. The new bolts were coated in anti-seize compound.

Original:

Rodney's weld-in cradle nuts

Welded on 3 sides

POR15'ed

KillerFrogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The proof is in the pics. No way in to get a penetrating oil on them without cutting the frame =[

The image i posted farther down proves otherwise.

[This message has been edited by KillerFrogg (edited 07-15-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe just a pencil sized hole drilled in the right spot to allow a spray to hit the bolt area...
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you drive the Fiero in salty conditions? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise, yes, a small hole will work.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just remove the bolts, treat, reinstall.

I won't do any work on the Fiero, or any car for that matter, without my bottle of antisieze.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Just remove the bolts, treat, reinstall.

I won't do any work on the Fiero, or any car for that matter, without my bottle of antisieze.

I guess, but that sort of defeats my heading off a problem before it is a problem, and goes straight into possibly making a problem for myself today.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-08-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Do you drive the Fiero in salty conditions? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise, yes, a small hole will work.

I dont, rain is the worst it sees, and garaged at home. Not a rusty car, some surface in some areas. I was thinking if I cant see the bolt area in the frame I dont know the condition of it, or what the previous owner drove in other than observing the outer condition of the metal.
I do tend to over think things

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-08-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I dont, rain is the worst it sees, and garaged at home. Not a rusty car, some surface in some areas. I was thinking if I cant see the bolt area in the frame I dont know the condition of it, or what the previous owner drove in other than observing the outer condition of the metal.
I do tend to over think things

you could cut an access panel and look in there, or take off the rear bumper and go in that way. Just to check it out. You could also try removing the rear bolts. If it was me, I would just leave it until you have to deal with it (other than maybe some PB Blaster).
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my 87 GT I found there is a hole in the frame where you can manage to spray penetrant on the rear cradle bolts.
I'm pretty sure the rubber splash shields cover them. When you pull the splash shields off you'll find them.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

On my 87 GT I found there is a hole in the frame where you can manage to spray penetrant on the rear cradle bolts.
I'm pretty sure the rubber splash shields cover them. When you pull the splash shields off you'll find them.

Thanks I'll take a peek sometime.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

you could cut an access panel and look in there, or take off the rear bumper and go in that way. Just to check it out. You could also try removing the rear bolts. If it was me, I would just leave it until you have to deal with it (other than maybe some PB Blaster).

^^^This. You may be opening a can of worms trying to remove them. The frame nuts inside the frame like to break. If you do that then you are all in.

KillerFrogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a decent image on the driver side frame rail, with holes that look like they give access to the nut/bolt. Hope it helps!

I apologize that the image is large. Its late, and posting from my phone in bed is easier than dealing with my desktop and photoshop

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Maybe just a pencil sized hole drilled in the right spot to allow a spray to hit the bolt area...

I was going to suggest that but thought why not drill a hole the right size for a simple grease fitting or 2? you could just use the grease fitting as it was intended or take it out and spray PB Blaster in threw the hole to loosen up a seized bolt if it was to late for the grease to be of any help. then just screw the grease fitting back in to cover the hole and reseal the area from anything getting in there.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-15-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I was going to suggest that but thought why not drill a hole the right size for a simple grease fitting or 2? you could just use the grease fitting as it was intended or take it out and spray PB Blaster in threw the hole to loosen up a seized bolt if it was to late for the grease to be of any help. then just screw the grease fitting back in to cover the hole and reseal the area from anything getting in there.

Steve

I think its a rather large area not really enclosed in a way that greasing would work. Just a little oil on it to stop any rust seemed prudent.
I oil brake lines and stuff on my daily drivers (older models too) that drive in salty winters and it helps better than paint. Though my Fiero wont see salt or even winter roads.

Thanks all for the replies, maybe it'll give others ideas too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-15-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock