Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Anyone know how to reset the brake proportioning valve?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone know how to reset the brake proportioning valve? by troyboy
Started on: 07-02-2014 03:28 PM
Replies: 6 (9224 views)
Last post by: wftb on 04-19-2020 05:59 PM
troyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my proportioning valve is out of center due to improper bleeding after replacing the rear calipers (self inflicted) and is now stopping the flow to the rear calipers. does anyone know how to reset it so I can bleed the brakes?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had that same problem once, and I ended up taking the valve apart. In my situation, that was a good thing as I found a chunk of rubber (from previous owner) which had somehow found it's way into the valve. There's probably a simpler way of re-setting the valve, but at least you know it is possible by taking it apart.

Just a FYI... it should actually be referred to as a combination valve.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-02-2014).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Patrick , I hope there is an easier way .
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The valve slides to one side or the other when there is unequal pressure on either side of the piston inside the valve body. That only ever happens when you have a hydraulic leak somewhere, but once it trips, it stays that way until you do the following. Once you repair the leak, reset the proportioning valve by starting the engine (to get maximum boost) and press the brake pedal as hard as you can for a few seconds. That should equalize the pressure on either side of the piston inside the valve body and cause it to slide back into it's neutral position.

If that doesn't work, then you've either got air in the brake system or you still have a leak somewhere. You can test for a leak by pressing and holding the brake pedal hard for about 30 seconds. If you feel the pedal slowly sinking to the floor, then you have a leak and there should be enough fluid that's been forced out for you to find the problem area easily.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I had that same problem once, and I ended up taking the valve apart. In my situation, that was a good thing as I found a chunk of rubber (from previous owner) which had somehow found it's way into the valve. There's probably a simpler way of re-setting the valve, but at least you know it is possible by taking it apart.

Just a FYI... it should actually be referred to as a combination valve.

See my Cave, Combination Valve

If CV valve is good then will "reset" by its self when normal pressure on both sides are good. Normal foot pressure should do that when brake is push 1 to 3 times. Push hard might work too.

If CV won't reset then likely need a new CV.
Taking apart a CV can be trouble. CV can use label "No serviceable parts inside."
Many times reset fails cause by corrosion from "wet" fluid or water thru switch port.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help and info guys! It is now back to center, and the brake light is off.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2020 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice colour diagram in this thread, but no mention of the reset. Good to know...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/109173.html

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave