auto to manual conversion... by jediperk
Started on: 07-02-2014 02:58 PM
Replies: 4 (1033 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 07-03-2014 02:17 PM
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much of a PITA is it to convert a auto over to a manual? Anyone do that for $$$? If so how much?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been there - done that. Starts about 2/3rds down page.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000077-3.html

Start adding up the cost of parts...

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

crt454

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have also converted my automatic to a manual. The hardest part, for me, was finding all the parts. Well worth the effort, wish I had done it sooner.
Lunatic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The conversion is quite easy, only time consuming. If you have a donor car, get everything to make the transition easier. There is a large bundle of wires that runs on top the pedals that must get moved. That can be the biggest nuisance. It can be done in a weekend though, I just went through this recently. There are a few threads on here with pics so that'll help you out if you get stuck.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my '87 SE, the auto to manual swap cost around $2k and took about a week. But I was working on it in my spare time, a few hours here and a few hours there. And I bought a lot of new parts (aluminum flywheel, Spec clutch, stainless steel clutch hydraulic line, new axles, rebuilt transmission, Rodney Dickman shifter cables, etc).

By far, the biggest headache was swapping out the pedal assemblies. You have to lay on your back in the driver's side footwell and finnagle the pedal assembly past a fat wire loom that can't be moved out of the way. Also, removing the tranny cooler lines and installing the clutch hydraulic line was kind of a pain. I ended up chopping the tranny cooler lines into several pieces to get them out. The Fiero Store stainless clutch line came in several pieces, that you attach together. That helps. But threading the line around the front suspension crossmember was still a pain.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock