Might purchase an 87 GT. Small hitch. by carguycarl
Started on: 06-29-2014 08:46 PM
Replies: 10 (261 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 06-30-2014 02:03 PM
carguycarl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carguycarlSend a Private Message to carguycarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys. New to this forum.

Might purchase an 87 GT with the 5 speed. My dad drove it and said something is off with the car. When coasting in first or second, and if it below about 2000 RPM, the car kind of bucks, like rocks back forth. Is this normal? I thought it was maybe too low of RPM... Perhaps it needs a tune up?

Thanks for your advice and help in the matter.

-Carl
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 84 2.5 duke did the same thing. Ended up being the EGR valve. Easy fix on the 2.5. Not sure aboout the 2.8.

And welcome.

------------------
2002 Audi Allroad. Tip. 100% Natural. (FOR SALE)
2011 VW Golf. (Wife's Wheels)
2002 VW Jetta (FOR SALE)
1984 Pontiac Fiero 4 speed Duke.

carguycarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carguycarlSend a Private Message to carguycarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the fast reply and the welcome.

Hopefully someone chimes in. Looking to have the Fiero as a project and eventually L67 swap it.
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carguycarl:

Hopefully someone chimes in. Looking to have the Fiero as a project and eventually L67 swap it.

If that is what you want you are better off checking out the "Mall" on this forum and buying a Fiero that already has the swap done. It's much cheaper than having it done yourself and they come up for sale quite regularly...
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jediperk:

If that is what you want you are better off checking out the "Mall" on this forum and buying a Fiero that already has the swap done. It's much cheaper than having it done yourself and they come up for sale quite regularly...

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too bad your not in Florida, there is a very nice looking 88 GT 5 speed for sale down here on craigs list with the 3800SC for $5600 obo
carguycarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carguycarlSend a Private Message to carguycarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll look around, but that was more of like a distant future type of thing, and I'd love to try and do it myself for the experience.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Too bad your not in Florida, there is a very nice looking 88 GT 5 speed for sale down here on craigs list with the 3800SC for $5600 obo

I didn't find it, it's not this one I guess: http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4505874375.html
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bucking could be simply due to worn or broken engine or transmission mounts, or a dogbone strut that has worn bushings.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry Yellowstone its not a 3800 its a red 88GT 5 speed with a 4.9 if you pull up a Tampa search you will see it listed under other areas, owner says hes had it for 10 years. I hadn't had my morning coffee when I posted so I wasn't thinking clearly.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

The bucking could be simply due to worn or broken engine or transmission mounts, or a dogbone strut that has worn bushings.

Yep I'd suspect that 1st, then EGR.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock