Tail light question (cosmetic) by Asphalt Risin
Started on: 06-20-2014 12:45 AM
Replies: 5 (272 views)
Last post by: Asphalt Risin on 06-21-2014 02:06 PM
Asphalt Risin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Asphalt RisinSend a Private Message to Asphalt RisinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wondering if anyone knows what causes this. The black is disappearing at the top (meaty portion) of my tail light lense. It's only the driver's side. I disassembled it, and because it is right at the top, there seems to be bugger all I can do, short of replacing it. I did't see any indication of bad wires, heat, etc. ...just an age thing perhaps?

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a delamination of the black mask from the plastic lens and is quite common. Check out these threads on the subject: http://www.fierosearch.com/...tion&Action=DoSearch
Asphalt Risin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Asphalt RisinSend a Private Message to Asphalt RisinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

It's a delamination of the black mask from the plastic lens and is quite common. Check out these threads on the subject:

Those are good links. I didn't think that would be considered "delamination" because of the location. I assumed the top of the housing was solid plastic. ...Based on what I'm reading there, the common cure is to simply: mask and paint.
Thanks
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In fact , most fastback tail lights get delam at the top edges first. My theory is that the sun is at its hottest during midday (12:00) And during midday , where is the sun shining? Yep, straight down. That's why the top edge gets the most delam.
Kit
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

In fact , most fastback tail lights get delam at the top edges first. My theory is that the sun is at its hottest during midday (12:00) And during midday , where is the sun shining? Yep, straight down. That's why the top edge gets the most delam.
Kit

I wonder if painting them, in the case that you have a set without de-lamination, would help deter it from happening.
Asphalt Risin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Asphalt RisinSend a Private Message to Asphalt RisinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Kit

It probably doesnt help, thats for sure. ...in the case of my car.... its kept in a garage. Doesn't get driven as often as I'd like. I really wish I had California sun to point the finger at.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock