Want to get your opinion by Jason88Notchie
Started on: 06-16-2014 04:39 PM
Replies: 31 (857 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 06-23-2014 04:36 PM
Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm itching to get this car painted. It has an aftermarket sunroof. I'm not going to share my opinion in this thread, I just to gage what you guys think about it. Keep as is? Improve it? Change it? IDK. Never did a sunroof, how much of a pain would it be to change it after paint? Any feedback on this would be very welcomed. Thanks!

Jason
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installing the factory sunroof requires removing and replacing the entire roof panel. If you want to swap to a factory sunroof, or want to lose the sunroof altogether, that's the way to do it. Obviously, you'd want to do that before painting.
Be careful. The roof sections are very easy to crack where the A-pillars (windshield posts) attach to the roof panel.
You will have to remove the headliner (which requires removing nearly all of the interior trim) in order to get to the screws.
You'll also have to deal with the rubber windshield trim and the butyl rubber putty that was used to fasten the roof down.
I've never had a roof completely off the car, but plenty of people here have done it.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Installing the factory sunroof requires removing and replacing the entire roof panel. If you want to swap to a factory sunroof, or want to lose the sunroof altogether, that's the way to do it. Obviously, you'd want to do that before painting.
Be careful. The roof sections are very easy to crack where the A-pillars (windshield posts) attach to the roof panel.
You will have to remove the headliner (which requires removing nearly all of the interior trim) in order to get to the screws.
You'll also have to deal with the rubber windshield trim and the butyl rubber putty that was used to fasten the roof down.
I've never had a roof completely off the car, but plenty of people here have done it.

+1

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Thanks Raydar. I know it's a royal PITA to remove the roof. Have to do it on a nice hot day. I hate to mess with it. The aftermarket roof works great, no leaks. The painter said he can help blend it by painting over the outside border/trim. I really don't want to open a can of worms if I don't have to. But I want to stick with as original as possible. When I first went to see this car I kinda cringed a bit seeing that roof.

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny. Oh, wait, I guess I need to read your whole post first.

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

I really don't want to open a can of worms if I don't have to.

I've had bad luck with the stock sunroofs. So my opinion is leave this one in, since it doesn't leak.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every time I see these aftermarket sunroofs on Fieros, I personally if I owned the car would just return it back to a solid roof car. From personal experience dealing with other individuals who have these way-too-common after market sunroofs on their cars it's just more of a hassle to deal with. For sure as mentioned you can change over to the actual Fiero sunroof, but it would probably be much less hassle in the end to just go back to a solid roof.

My opinion of course; and you know what they say about opinions.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bring on the opinions. That's what I'm looking for!
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would go back to the hardtop if it were me. I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate aftermarket sunroofs and I hate them even more on a Fiero just because they look so disproportional and out of place. Sound like you're lucky and it doesn't leak so I suppose you would have to keep that in consideration but again, I'd go back to the way the car came from the factory.

Seems like most aftermarket sunroofs are done poorly and leak. Good to hear the current one holds water

That's my opinion, hope it helps
Strappado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StrappadoSend a Private Message to StrappadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not try something new?
Don't know if there are aftermarket kits out there but i was toying around with the idea of a power segmented sunroof, back when i had a sunroof car.

Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thats aftermarket ?? Mine looks like that the only difference is mine doesnt raise up that high
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vesquar:

thats aftermarket ?? Mine looks like that the only difference is mine doesnt raise up that high

from looking at pics in your other thread yours are oem.
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about a electric slider/spoiler type? I think that would look pretty bad azz on a Fiero.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone make a targa top kit, that would seem like a natural fit because of the way the Fiero roof is designed.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id leave it alone as is.

Electric would be nice, but where would it slide to ? Those power sunroofs are 3-4 feet long installed. I installed them aftermarket for dealers.

Some here have made targa tops. Its a lot of work and you need to have some good fabrication skills. Its not just a 'cut it out and stick on some latches'.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Link to what I'm thinking...It pops up and slides back over the roof.

http://www.autoaccents.com/...ricSunroofs30_16.htm

[This message has been edited by Jason88Notchie (edited 06-18-2014).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this may be totally out there but.... Let's say you don't want a sunroof. Why couldn't you just take it out , sunroof seal and all, take out your headliner, affix /glue an oversized thin metal plate on the inside, bondo the top of the roof till it looks kosher, then put your headliner back in? That way you wouldn't have to replace the whole rear clip.
Ok, so my idea is a little wacky.
Kit
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I know this may be totally out there but.... Let's say you don't want a sunroof. Why couldn't you just take it out , sunroof seal and all, take out your headliner, affix /glue an oversized thin metal plate on the inside, bondo the top of the roof till it looks kosher, then put your headliner back in? That way you wouldn't have to replace the whole rear clip.
Kit

Swapping a hard top roof would be much much easier.

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bring on the opinions. That's what I'm looking for!

If you have a sunroof and it doesn't leak air or water, I'd leave it alone unless you have a good reason for not wanting it. The power slider looks interesting if you want a replacement and have $700 to spend. i would Not put in a factory fiero sunroof unless you wanna lot of work and trouble - buy ALL the new parts including the gasket, clips, tabs, ect. from the Fiero Store and try to get it all installed again (without leaking air or water). Don't expect all the new parts to be trouble-free replacement or expect it all to be sealed the first time. There are many threads from guys trying to fix their leaking stock sunroofs and it's not easy.

My personal experience with a few stock sunroofs and t-tops is that they are a PIA (like many other parts of the fiero ). They leak air and water.

If you don't wanna keep what you have or get someone to install the power slider, I'd replace the roof with a stock fiero hardtop - it's solid, quiet and doesn't leak . I converted my current daily driver to a hardtop and it's gonna stay that way. If i get tired of it, i'll buy an MX-5 or mustang convertible

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 06-19-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also have an aftermarket sunroof and have been thinking about changing out to a factory one. Why does the roof need to be removed? Since all Fieros are set up for the sunroof option and the aftermarket one is smaller - why not just enlarge the existing hole and drop in the factory one?
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ARKaiser:

I also have an aftermarket sunroof and have been thinking about changing out to a factory one. Why does the roof need to be removed? Since all Fieros are set up for the sunroof option and the aftermarket one is smaller - why not just enlarge the existing hole and drop in the factory one?

The roof panel for the sunroof model is different, the glass on the factory sunroof is flush with the top of the roof, there is no metal edge like non factory roofs have
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have the owner from Auto Accents drawing it up. I took some pics of my car with the aftermarket and my son's car with the stock roof. Also sent him a pic with out the roof skin. He seems really knowegeable, and said he's done a targa and a t-top years ago. Older gentleman. Said he's been doing this for almost 50 years. We'll see what he comes up with. I have a price in mind for what I want to pay so I'm either going to get the spoiler/slider or just leave it and get this thing some paint. I wander what he'd charge me to do a targa?
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have the owner from Auto Accents drawing it up. I took some pics of my car with the aftermarket and my son's car with the stock roof. Also sent him a pic with out the roof skin. He seems really knowegeable, and said he's done a targa and a t-top years ago. Older gentleman. Said he's been doing this for almost 50 years. We'll see what he comes up with. I have a price in mind for what I want to pay so I'm either going to get the spoiler/slider or just leave it and get this thing some paint. I wander what he'd charge me to do a targa?

I will be interested to see what he comes up with.

ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

The roof panel for the sunroof model is different, the glass on the factory sunroof is flush with the top of the roof, there is no metal edge like non factory roofs have

Other then the hole what is the difference? 22P does list 2 different part numbers but I don't see a difference other then being per-cut.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Kit

Theres more stress there than you would think. Ive never seen anyone successful at filling an opening like that so that it never cracked back out. The only ways to do it is get another roof panel without the sunroof opening, or cover the whole roof in a single piece of new fiberglass (drip rail to drip rail, and windshield to seam/back glass)

I wonder what this top guy will give you for a price of a one off fabricated sunroof.

BTW, you will owe me a beer at MOR...I found the parts invoice for the Porsche sunroof assembly. Ill bring it with me.

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL...You got it Roger!
a_bartle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think there are some "new" aftermarket sunroofs that "look" closer to the factory. They have a lot thinner outside trim plate, so you almost don't notice it, and if you find one with corners that are a little bit more "square", it might not be so obvious that it's an aftermarket one. I'd shop around and see what you can find and just "upgrade" your sunroof to a newer one.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You say that one dont leak. If you replace it with anything, dont come back next month asking how you seal up a leaky sunroof. lol
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

You say that one dont leak. If you replace it with anything, dont come back next month asking how you seal up a leaky sunroof. lol

Bub you are so right. If I pull the trigger on this, it has a life time guarantee. He's been in business for quite some time. But you know how those things work.

chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Opinion from me:
I had a sunroof installed (just like the one you have) in a Fiero that I had many years ago. I was not aware (then - 1998) that the solid roof panel could be swapped to a sunroof panel, so I had a shop install the dinky size aftermarket sunroof.
I was very disappointed in the puny size of this sunroof compared to the stock sunroof Fiero sunroof. BUT, disappointed in the size... I was very happy with the installation, it did not leak, the tiny size of the sunroof panel made for very simple removal and storage (I put it behind the passenger seat), and I was just happy to have the sunroof.

That's my history with that sunroof. My next Fiero has a factory sunroof. Much bigger, much better, and a real nice convenient storage spot for it under the front hood.
My opinion on your situation: ditch the aftermarket roof panel and swap over to a stock sunroof panel!
*Sorry for suggesting the extra work*
Chris
yellow peril

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow perilSend a Private Message to yellow perilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the size and look of the stock sunroof also but with mine when its in the up position like the picture, it rattles when going over bumps. Really bugs me. The one you have looks like a beefier setup so I'm thinking if it doesn't rattle or leak I would live with it. If your going to change it over to stock think about this, does it mean THAT much to you to do all that work to basically just make the sunroof bigger.
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's starting to grow on my a little. Removed the glass and went up to the Quaker Steak and Lube for the cruise-in with Jaeger. Wasn't too bad. I guess later on if I need too, I can do my slider mod and reshoot the roof Skitime style. Don't know how many times he reshot stuff after mods. Have to prioritize. Crappy paint drives me more nuts than the sunroof.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock