Lifting the car with a 2 post lift when dropping the cradle by fierocarb
Started on: 06-13-2014 08:24 AM
Replies: 7 (695 views)
Last post by: Canyonflyer on 06-13-2014 01:57 PM
fierocarb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarbSend a Private Message to fierocarbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I searched all over the place and cannot get a clear picture of where to lift the car. This lift is my dads and I have never been able to use it very easily. I currently have the car positioned with the front arms on the front cross member right behind the A-arms. Its the back ones that are giving me fits. If I wasn't dropping the cradle for a clutch change I would just lift off the cradle but..... So right now I have the pads positioned on the jack points. But I am not really happy with this because the jack point gap in the rocker is only so wide and the pads on the lift are wider so they are pushing on the rockers some. Not only that the coolant pipe is right there and is lower so I can't put the round pad square on the in fear of messing up that.

Any insight or suggestions would be very helpful. Pics would be even better.

Tom
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierocarb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarbSend a Private Message to fierocarbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thank you for the pic, but the rear lift points appear to be on the cradle. That would not help me in this situation
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Position the rear arms on the point where the rear lower frame rails blend into the lower floor. There is a flat there and a notch.
The car will be tail heavy when lifted this way, you may want to put some weight in the front compartment.....
crt454

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As stated above, I put the lift just ahead of the front cradle bolts. Then just lifted the car enough to get under it with jack stands under the cradle. Easy peasy.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a piece of 2x4 between the hoist arm and the frame of the car so the coolant tubes are not touched. Hitting the flat part of the underbody by where the front cradle mounts are.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 06-13-2014).]

Canyonflyer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanyonflyerSend a Private Message to CanyonflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I own a 2 post lift and in order to be safe, you need to be a little creative.

Typically when lifting the car up I put the rear pads on the cradle and use a 2x6 board placed over the front pads to distribute the the weight across the floor and alleviate the risk of pinching brake lines and coolant pipes. This also keeps the car pretty balanced on the lift.

But when dropping the cradle the balance of the car is shifted forward. You will need to reposition the pads forward a little on both sides. I have lifted the car with the cradle attached like this and it's balanced enough where you can get under it to loosen the cradle nuts. Place the rear pads forward of the cradle on the rear floorpan and I use boards to once again spread the load across the sheet metal. When lifting the car off of the cradle it should remain fairly stable.

[This message has been edited by Canyonflyer (edited 06-13-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock