How to get a title by BOBBY D
Started on: 06-07-2014 01:28 PM
Replies: 18 (420 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 06-14-2014 07:36 AM
BOBBY D

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BOBBY DSend a Private Message to BOBBY DEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know how to get a title for a car, where the title is lost and the car hasn't been registered in 20 years.

I know the car is not stolen. It's not a fiero it's a 66 mustang, that has sat for 20 or more years. The original owner passed away and the owners daughter can't find any paper work. She wants it gone but before I take it I want to make sure I can get a title.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find the administrator of the estate, the person who had power of attorney, or the next living relative in order of widow, oldest child to youngest child. The vehicle would have passed down through inheritance if there was no designated recipient in his will. The state of Ohio may still have record of the original title and can issue a duplicate. The person who inherited the car can sign the title over. Check with your Department of Motor Vehicles or whatever agency issues license plates to get the exact requirements.
GreenPlatypus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreenPlatypusSend a Private Message to GreenPlatypusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check the local laws for having a bonded title issued. or if you are good friends with a trustworthy local mechanic, see if they would be willing to do a mechanic's lien on the car. I had to do one to get a title for the wife's Camaro after the previous owners screwed it up rendering the title useless, fortunately I owned my own shop and had a lien expert on staff...
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This may help.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/faq_vehicle_titling.stm

Some states do not require a title after so many years, others do, not sure about Ohio.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-07-2014).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ohio is generous with only a $5 late fee if you don't transfer it within 30 days. In Texas it's up to $150. It's all about the revenue. They want the sales tax every time a vehicle changes hands. I did one for $1 and they still collected the 6 cents.

There are ways to get a title. Nationwide companies will do all the paperwork for you and you just take the paperwork down to the DMV for your state.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 569
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In state.... Dup title can be calling/visiting state DMV etc as above. They should call DMV anyway.
Sold/inherit to another state... Call DMV in other state BEFORE you sign the copy title.

Why? How they sign the title can matter. Often not as simple signing a name.
May need extra documents too.

I had inherit one from NJ year back, admin is from VT, DE won't accept title because admin had sign it wrong.
I have to mail the title back, they sign correct way per DE rules and mail back to me.
Even that, they were a pain.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how it works there, but here a signed bill of sale can be used to get a title.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ohio is one of the hardest states to get a title in from what I have experienced... I have had a few Fieros that I had to get a title for. You need a mechanic to put a lien on the car. Then the state may or may not get back to you and there is nobody to call for the status. Also you need the title to scrap a car or you have to find a junkyard that will take it (and they give you about 50% of the scrap value without the title). Last car I had I couldn't get the title so I just parted and scrapped it. I don't know if I would do it again...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Why? How they sign the title can matter. Often not as simple signing a name.
May need extra documents too.

They are cracking down.... In Texas now a signed title is not enough... you need that AND a bill of sale or the seller has to sign the title application. Just went through this a month ago, they won't budge without having both documents. And if the transfer took place over 20 business days you get hit with a fine. So if you have a car sitting around with just a signed title you are SOL unless all you want to do is scrap it. Yes it can still be done but you have to use extraordinary means.

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
They are cracking down.... In Texas now a signed title is not enough... you need that AND a bill of sale or the seller has to sign the title application. Just went through this a month ago, they won't budge without having both documents. And if the transfer took place over 20 business days you get hit with a fine. So if you have a car sitting around with just a signed title you are SOL unless all you want to do is scrap it. Yes it can still be done but you have to use extraordinary means.

Yeah, it is a crackdown because it is big money. Ohio loves to tax you over and over for the sale of a car. If they think the price is too low on a title... then watch out. They will call you, the buyer/seller and try to bully you into admitting to a higher price...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OHIO is a royal PITA. Its now almost impossible to even get a mechanics lien. Since you know the owners family, Id say you need the next living relative to apply for a duplicate title and supply a copy of a death certificate for the titled owner. Then he might get a copy that they can sign over to you. Be careful all the info, addresses, names, etc are all done correctly or you have to start over.

Next is Oklahoma. I bought a car that had been broke down and parked for over ten years. He had the title. I still had to pay for registration for the whole time it sat (10 years of registration fees) before they would give me a current one. I even gave them a notorized letter from the owner saying it had not been driven in that 10 years because it didnt run. I paid more for tags than the car.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

Yeah, it is a crackdown because it is big money. Ohio loves to tax you over and over for the sale of a car. If they think the price is too low on a title... then watch out. They will call you, the buyer/seller and try to bully you into admitting to a higher price...

Texas has closed the price loophole as well. They will automatically put the price that they think the car is worth on the title transfer regardless of what you paid for it. And you will pay the tax on their made up number.

Yes it is all about the money. Their should be no tax on a used car. The tax has already been paid when the car was new. But they want a cut every time the vehicle changes hands.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

Ive gotten great deals buying old cars, and usually sell them for really cheap. DMVs contacted me several times to verify prices buying and selling.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 569
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Texas has closed the price loophole as well. They will automatically put the price that they think the car is worth on the title transfer regardless of what you paid for it. And you will pay the tax on their made up number.

No, Not "made up." Many States use NADA Retail price to calc taxes.

NADA guides still list old cars, like 1926 old...
NADA Average Retail for Fiero is ~$3500, Low Retail ~$1400

This stops selling cars $1000 but BoS says $1 to avoid taxes.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NADA's values IMO, are made up in many cases.

In Texas, yes, signed title, bill of sale, and/or the form from DMV are all needed now.

You can't even send a car to the crusher in Texas without a title anymore. Used to be,that if the vehicle was in pieces, they would take it--no more. Some scrap metal yards may let you by, but most won't.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ohio done away with the 'Gift' sales where you can sell a car to a relative or friend for $1.00. Now you have to 'sell' it to them for a legitimate value.
BOBBY D

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BOBBY DSend a Private Message to BOBBY DEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Ohio done away with the 'Gift' sales where you can sell a car to a relative or friend for $1.00. Now you have to 'sell' it to them for a legitimate value.

Not true. I just got my 2001 toyota tundra from my father as a gift. I paid no taxes on the transfer even though the value is $9,000. I literally did this in the past 60 days.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Texas still allows an exemption for transfer to an immediate family relative. But anyone else forget it. If my car is cut up and only worth scrap then NADA is a made up number as far as I'm concerned .
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BOBBY D:

Not true. I just got my 2001 toyota tundra from my father as a gift. I paid no taxes on the transfer even though the value is $9,000. I literally did this in the past 60 days.

Thats not what I was told by the DMV when I tried to do it a month ago (mid May) when I picked up my latest minivan. They told me they dont do it anymore. I had to fill in a plausable amount before they would give me a title, so I made it $800.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock