Started on: 06-06-2014 12:22 AM
Replies: 14 (1092 views)
Last post by: dobey on 06-25-2014 03:55 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I promised fierogtlt1 some measurements.
Putting up a few pics as well.

The measurements are:
Pillar to pillar - ~51.5" (The edges taper in a bit, as you get nearer the windshield.)
Door to door - ~ 56.5"
Depth from windshield straight back, ending directly above bottom edge of center stack ~25"
Height from bottom edge of center stack to a line straight back from front edge ~27"
Door panel to center of column ~14.5"
Windshield curvature(?) Draw a line from front corner to front corner. The middle of the dash protrudes ~5" forward of that line.

All measurements are approximate. (They should be the same as the Malibu, I think someone may have already done that dash. Rickady?)

Edit - I was surprised to find that the gauges and radio display are illuminated in white, while the rest of the backlighting is red.
The headlights and turn signals are on the left stalk. The wipers/washers are on the right stalk.
The only light controllers on the dash are the backlighting intensity, and fog light switch.
I really miss the oil pressure and voltmeter gauges.
The round spot below the engine temp gauge is for various warning lights.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-06-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank You very much Steve.
I recently found a black G6 dash in a local pick n pull's inventory.Now just to make a field trip there this weekend.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck!
I don't know how you're going to make the instruments work. It's all OBD2. There's one flat connector that feeds the entire panel. Everything comes from the BCM.
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That dash would look awsome in a FIero!
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The G6 GTP dashes are slightly different.

My buddy's 2006 was completely backlit red, slightly different radio options, etc.

I'm sure size-wise everything is the same.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless you really like the gauges, if they are difficult to get to work, they appear to be round which means fairly easy replace with aftermarket / other car
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

The G6 GTP dashes are slightly different.

My buddy's 2006 was completely backlit red, slightly different radio options, etc.

I'm sure size-wise everything is the same.

Everything that I've read leads me to believe that it's the year model that makes the difference.
In late 2009 (they called it "20091/2"), there was a "facelift", that replaced the red gauge and radio backlighting with white.
All of the DIC functions used to be in the radio. That also changed. Prior to 20091/2, if you swapped in an aftermarket headunit, you lost the DIC functions.
(For the Pontiac enthusiasts... The "facelift" was to keep the car fresh until the G6 redesign in 2012 or 13. One rumor has it that the G6 was going to switch to the RWD Alpha platform - think ATS - at that time. Of course, you know the history.)

Originally posted by 2.5:
Unless you really like the gauges, if they are difficult to get to work, they appear to be round which means fairly easy replace with aftermarket / other car

The gauges are really nothing special. They do their jobs. That's about it.
I'm thinking that I would replace them, and try to find a way to incorporate volts and oil pressure, too.
The only reason I might keep them is if I was doing a G6 powertrain swap, too.

(I started out not caring much about doing this swap. Just posted the info for Todd.
I might be forced to change my mind... )

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-06-2014).]

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking into aftermarket gauges right now.
Scottzilla79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

The gauges are really nothing special. They do their jobs. That's about it.
I'm thinking that I would replace them, and try to find a way to incorporate volts and oil pressure, too.
The only reason I might keep them is if I was doing a G6 powertrain swap, too.

(I started out not caring much about doing this swap. Just posted the info for Todd.
I might be forced to change my mind... )

Yes you should. I wanna see a 3.6 from a G6 GTP/GXP swapped into a Fiero.

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I really miss the oil pressure and voltmeter gauges.

Nice job . maybe i can help with your gauges. Here's a Create-A-Dash link where you can get digital displays to fit your gauge space. Maybe you can put red digitals in place of the oil pressure and volts (scroll down the linked page below) ?

http://intellitronix.com/CREATE-A-DASH.html

How did you get the HVAC stuff to work ?

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 06-07-2014).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by 2.5:

... they appear to be round which means fairly easy replace with aftermarket / other car

Not really. All the factory cars that i've seen will use odd diameters and aftermarket gauge diameters are only a few standard sizes - usually too large to fit the space left when you remove the factory gauge. The standard small size aftermarket gauge is 2 1/8 "; i'll bet the G6 volts and oil pressure are waayyy smaller than that.
PFF
System Bot
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Everything that I've read leads me to believe that it's the year model that makes the difference.
In late 2009 (they called it "20091/2"), there was a "facelift", that replaced the red gauge and radio backlighting with white.
All of the DIC functions used to be in the radio. That also changed. Prior to 20091/2, if you swapped in an aftermarket headunit, you lost the DIC functions.

Yes and No.

Ordinarily, you would lose the DIC functions, but they make aftermarket displays to keep the DIC functions like oil life, tire pressure, etc.
Here's what we did in his G6 GTP

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 06-07-2014).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Nice job . maybe i can help with your gauges. Here's a Create-A-Dash link where you can get digital displays to fit your gauge space. Maybe you can put red digitals in place of the oil pressure and volts (scroll down the linked page below) ?

http://intellitronix.com/CREATE-A-DASH.html

How did you get the HVAC stuff to work ?

I haven't done the swap. Just made some measurements for Todd. It is tempting, though.
Thanks for the link, though. I've been looking for something like that.

Originally posted by DKcustoms:
Ordinarily, you would lose the DIC functions, but they make aftermarket displays to keep the DIC functions like oil life, tire pressure, etc.
Here's what we did in his G6 GTP

THAT'S quite cool. I'm assuming that's made by one of the aftermarket manufacturers, as opposed to being constructed as a "one off".
Do you have any more info?
My wife has been looking into a G6 droptop. That was my main problem with an earlier car. We want a radio with USB, and we were going to lose the DIC by removing the factory headunit.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking something more like this.

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-25-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

I am looking into aftermarket gauges right now.

If you are swapping it into a Fiero with aftermarket gauges, do you even care about the DIC? And if so, any reason to not get a display on the dash instead, and hook it up to the steering wheel controls for the DIC? Then you can have both, the DIC and the large screen head unit.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock