Build X 2 by dcarrd
Started on: 06-03-2014 10:19 PM
Replies: 34 (744 views)
Last post by: dcarrd on 08-21-2014 08:20 PM
dcarrd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And so my journey begins to not only restore one Fiero but attempt to restore TWO at the same time, more or less lol. See, my 84 SE 350 (Archie kit) sat for 8-9 years due to multiple reasons that I wont bore everyone with. It sat and sat until my dear aunt decided she was sick enough of looking at it on her front yard that she gave me an ultimatum to remove it. So I did. And I got the engine running fairly quickly. And I felt the same emotions I had when I originally built it.
Just a few problems, it needed a lot of TLC from sitting so much including rust issues. So I decided to look for another car, preferably rust-free, to transplant the V8 into. Living in Florida, its not uncommon to find older cars with little or no rust which lead me to an 85 with a 3800SC with no oil pressure. After going through it and trying to decide if I wanted to rebuild the V8 and swap it in exchange of the 3800 or just rebuild the 3800 and use parts from my 84, I realized that I just like both setups enough to try to do both.
So here I go again...just not on my own like last time. Now I will have the help of a mechanic and a machinist who are friends of mine and both are excellent at what they do. Even my daughter has shown some interest in the cars and told me she wouldnt mind driving one.
I will post pictures and hopefully this thread will stave away any attempts of procrastination from me, something Im quite good at.
So wish me luck and hopefully I dont have to bug you all too much with questions...
Dave C.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cant get the pics to upload ugh lol

[This message has been edited by dcarrd (edited 06-03-2014).]

dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd

153 posts
Member since May 2014
my 84 SE 350 being rescued from my angry aunt, I dont blame her lol
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd

153 posts
Member since May 2014

the 85 3800SC that I just purchased yesterday.
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd

153 posts
Member since May 2014

Another view of the recently purchased 85 3800SC
seq

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"I just wanted to fix my Fiero and ended up fixing two" is exactly why I can't show my wife this site.
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it really is a bittersweet feeling lol I'm so happy to have my Fiero back but then I look at all the work and I want to cry ahahaha
I know it doesnt look like a lot but a lot of it will be engine work that will be mostly performed by me. The black fiero has a lot of frame rust in the back and I can feel it under the rocker panels so Im not really looking forward to having to address that. Damn Michigan cars!
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dcarrd:

... attempt to restore TWO at the same time ...

that's how i spent more money than a new mustang costs ...

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 06-04-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

that's how i spent more money than a new mustang costs ...

Been there - done that!

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already have a Mustang lol
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A wash and a buff later...

PFF
System Bot
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd

153 posts
Member since May 2014
This weekend I worked on the interior, mainly the center console area from the back to the front. Reglued everything and dryfitted a Kindle Fire.

dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
now Im starting to work on the 84 SE interiors...pics will follow
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd where are you originally from ? Spend any time in Ohio ??
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
dcarrd where are you originally from ? Spend any time in Ohio ??

nope. Originally from Puerto Rico, moved in 1996 to Phoenix, then Flagstaff, Los Angeles, NY and I've been in Clearwater since 2003. A bit of a gypsy thanks to my exwife lol
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I actually started with two 87 GTs at once and then settled into just one full rebuild from the chassis out.

I didn't START with a V8 and a 3800SC though......

Nice to see someone else local though. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need any help, I'm just a short hop North of you in New Port Richey and I'm happy to lend a hand whenever I can or just talk Fieros

------------------

dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

I actually started with two 87 GTs at once and then settled into just one full rebuild from the chassis out.

I didn't START with a V8 and a 3800SC though......

Nice to see someone else local though. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need any help, I'm just a short hop North of you in New Port Richey and I'm happy to lend a hand whenever I can or just talk Fieros

Sounds great, Ive had two girlfriends up in NPR lol not too far. My fam lives in Tarpon so I spend time up there.

Right now the issues I have on the 84 SE are as follow:
1. Seized front calipers/rotors both sides
2. Seized clutch slave and that caused a damaged bypass valve in the master.
3. Rear upper frame rails are rotted. I can feel rust under rocker panel
4. broken throttle cable
5. 350 smoking from the valve covers (rings) Engine is running...
6. Interiors are the usual which Im working on, with the headliner being the worst.
7. Doors are sagging
8. Pass window not going down
9. need to replace winshield-its cracked
10. need to clean up engine bay and fix rear decklid grill
11. Need to resurface wheels
12. need to replace or repair once sail panel
13. install AC compressor
14. move battery to the front....have Archie box, Optima redtop and #2 welding cables to do the job.
15. its pretty weathered so im going to dip the car for the time being. Anything is better than how it is now lol
The rest is add ons that I plan to do, like tablet and upgraded audio and lighting.

On the 85 GT:
1. fix a small rip in the driver seat(seats are in really good shape otherwise)
2. clean all upholstery
3. headlights turn on but they are not coming up
4. install evap(previous owner removed to install in other fiero), compressor, and fan seated properly.
5. rear decklid was left open during a storm and it broke the supports in half, gonna have to either find another or try to repair it but its pretty mangled.
6. repair/rebuild the motor. not lubricating so we're gonna open her up and hopefully get away with bearings and distributor shaft. If not, she is going for a full rebuild.
That's it other than installing a tablet and sub. With only 60k miles, the car is in very good shape with no rust and lowered suspension.
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd

153 posts
Member since May 2014
These are out of the black 84 SE, not too bad but need a good cleaning and a bit of gluing. The carpet is just dirty but looks good otherwise but the seats will need covers. I think if budget permits I will spring for a set of Mr Mike's leathers. This is my favorite interior color

dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking better

dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday I decided to work on the black 84 SE interior. Started by removing the passenger seat

[This message has been edited by dcarrd (edited 06-30-2014).]

dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd

153 posts
Member since May 2014
The seats will get some Mr Mikes leathers in the near future, but first I wanted to deal with the carpets. For some reason the carpet got black behind the seat, maybe some liquid was spilled at some point. Found 30 years worth of garbage under the seat but I also found 5 black lug nut caps in really good shape.

PFF
System Bot
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was expecting much more rust considering it was a Michigan car.

dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd

153 posts
Member since May 2014
Out came the wire wheel, got as much as I could off, wiped everything down and hit it with Rust Converter and finished it off with some black truck undercoating that I had in the shed.

dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd

153 posts
Member since May 2014
so I had a 50 ft roll of laminate underlayment sitting in the shed from when I replaced my floors so I decided to use it as an extra layer insulation/sound proofing. I used the 3M 90 spray but didnt like it very much. Had to remove and reapply for it to stick. I dont know how crucial its gonna be considering it will have the padding and carpet over it but I think I will brush on some contact cement on the other side since I bought a can to do the headliner.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd

153 posts
Member since May 2014
I followed the How to for the carpet cleaning and used the Resolve+CLR+Brush combo. Still think it could turn out better so Im going to do it again next weekend...
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd

153 posts
Member since May 2014
I had trouble removing the driver side seat and actually spun one of the studs so I decided to hit it with PB Blaster every night for the next week. For some reason the rust on those bolts are much greater than on the passenger seat. The nuts were disintegrating and before I broke anything else I decided to let it be and work on something else....on to the headliner!
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd

153 posts
Member since May 2014
The headliner removal was easier than I thought. Thanks to Buddy Craigg for his informative videos. My headliner looked like crap and from the back it almost looked like the board had fallen apart but I was wrong about the board. Its actually in really good shape considering it has never seen a garage since I've had it which is 14 of its 30 years. I only found one small crack that can be easily repaired. Brought all the trim in the house and cleaned it with Simple Green and a brush. They came out pretty nice. I went to Joann Fabrics and got two yards of headliner material just in case I screw it up.

dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd

153 posts
Member since May 2014
I'd like to add the coat hangers, anyone know where I can source them out?
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd

153 posts
Member since May 2014
I also replaced and bled both the clutch Master and Slave on the 84 SE V8, unstuck the rotors by putting a C-Clamp on the calipers and temporarily fixed the throttle cable until I source another one. My biggest fear was to rest as I thought the clutch was seized but it wasnt. After 8 years of sitting I was able to drive it around the block but by the time I got back the front brakes were smoking a bit lol(dragging heavily) No worries, its getting a brake upgrade once I sort out everything else, but it was a great feeling regardless..
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
still busy if not posting. Recently removed the 3800 out of the white GT and getting ready to tear it apart to see whats wrong. So far Im really happy to inform that the top end looks REALLY good. Aluminum heads were ported, gaskets look good, motor doesnt look like it overheated. There's front to back play on the crank and that's where I think our problem is. Once I open it up it will go to the machine shop for some work, then back into the fiero. Still trying to sort out the AC system that was removed but not allot of luck finding info in the forum about the 3800 compressor.
On the black SE, I had to cut out the nut off the driver seat as they were rusted shut. Busted one stud but the other three are usable. I'll have to open up the undercarriage to fix it but no biggie. As it turns out on the Master Cylinder, the banjo hole was WAY too small for the clutch pedal so I had to pull it off and swap the new banjo rod for the old one, works fine now. As soon as I figure a different way to post pictures I will put some up.
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcarrd

153 posts
Member since May 2014
Here it is....
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are your plans for using the Kindle?
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I plan on Rooting it and installing tasker for power management and as a head unit on the 84 SE. I have an unlimited data hotspot on my phone and I dont listen to regular radio. Jango will serve as my music stream, Waze as my GPS and that's pretty much it. Theres no bluetooth on it and there's no OBD2 port on the 84 so they are a perfect match for an older tablet.
On the 85 GT Im looking at this tablet as it has the right dimensions for the opening: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0...oliid=I1OD88CYUOPOF2
and its quite inexpensive. With bluetooth and an OBD2 port inside the car I can run the Torque Pro app along with other goodies.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool ideas.
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ordered more parts...just got the cradle polybushings, Danyel sent me his marker LED kits for both cars, ordered the tablet and I have a 3800 AC compressor on the way.
Recently separated and took apart the engine, cleaned up the cradle and painted the tranny. For the cradle I pressure washed it, wirebrushed any surface rust which was minimal, sprayed it with rust converter and then hit it with rubberized undercarriage paint. The reason I used this method is to hopefully stave off the usual chips that happen from road debris.
As we took apart the engine we noticed that the thrust bearing and the two first main bearings suffered damage, we are still unsure what happened but I think the route Im taking is getting a crankshaft kit and reworking the block to be on the safe side. Unfortunately the crank thrust bearing took too much damage to salvage.

Cradle and tranny pre cleanup

Post clean up and paint

Getting to the clutch...it had no wear on it as it was installed right before the oil pressure tanked.

Finding the engine issues. Top end was perfect, very little wear and the rod bearings were fine. The crank suffered as there was way too much end play as the thrust bearing got chewed up. Still trying to figure out how it happened.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock