1998 Grand Prix L67 with 140,000 miles for $1500 for future swap by hcforde
Started on: 06-02-2014 01:36 AM
Replies: 8 (584 views)
Last post by: hcforde on 06-10-2014 07:21 PM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never thought I would consider swapping an engine because it seems like too much work. However, my daughter needs a car to find work(new college grad with a liberal arts degree). Until she can aford the car of her choice, I thought this would be a win-win. As soon as she is done driving it, rebuild the engine and put it in a Fiero. It is an Automatic

Since I would never have thought of doing it...............I have therefore never done it. I have a few questions and yes I have looked at some of the post here about it.

1. Is this a good price for a running car with a L67 in it. Exterior seems to be flawless, have not seen the interior yet?
2. Will the cradle need to be modified. I will probably put it in one of the 1988's?
3. What is involved in a swap of this sort in other than Fiero parts required.?
4. Can the Grand Prix transmission be used.?
5. Are there easier swaps than this one?

Thanks

------------------
1988 GT, Automatic, running - bought in Illinois and drove to Austin
1986 SE, 4 cyl, 5 speed running - Bought in California and drove to Austin
1988 GT, T-Top - non running - "Trailered" back from California going to be restored (in storage)
1986 GT, highly modified engine/exhaust, but slave/clutch issue - Trailered back from Las Cruces, NM Chop-top candidate (in storage)
1986 SE, bought locally, Automatic won't shift into gear - Chop-top candidate (in storage)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The L67 and the Grand Prix trans are both used, unless you want to convert it to a manual trans.
It's bolted to the Fiero cradle.
Mounting brackets are usually available, as are wiring harnesses.
There are lots of options for exhaust and "mods".

Sounds like a decent price for a running car, although I'm sure that someone will chime in and say they paid a lot less for one.
Nevertheless, it is what it is. You've already got your donor car.

That should give you some encouragement.
Lots of people have done this swap. I'm sure they'll jump in with advice.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-02-2014).]

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. yes
2.no, fits the 88 very nice
3. mounts, wiring, 1 axle
4. yes
5.no
come by and take a look at one of mine some day.

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

The L67 and the Grand Prix trans are both used, unless you want to convert it to a manual trans.
It's bolted to the Fiero cradle.
Mounting brackets are usually available, as are wiring harnesses.
There are lots of options for exhaust and "mods".

Sounds like a decent price for a running car, although I'm sure that someone will chime in and say they paid a lot less for one.
Nevertheless, it is what it is. You've already got your donor car.

That should give you some encouragement.
Lots of people have done this swap. I'm sure they'll jump in with advice.

Thanks, that sounds encouraging. I think I would just keep it an automatic. Wouldn't I use the same wiring harness in the Grand Prix?
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need to merge the Grand Prix Harness with the Fiero Harness - a few folks on PFF make complete harnesses - makes it basically a plug and play for the electronics.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it was something like 14-18 Fiero wires and yes GTP harness.
auto is fine, get a trans checkup before you take it out. You will be nailing it all the time.
Jack Mehoff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jack MehoffSend a Private Message to Jack MehoffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I paid 700 for a 97 bonneville with the l67, 184k miles. The drivetrain is still strong but the interior is pretty bad. For you, 1500 isnt a bad price at all if its in good daily driving shape and the PO always ran 93 octane.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

1. yes
2.no, fits the 88 very nice
3. mounts, wiring, 1 axle
4. yes
5.no
come by and take a look at one of mine some day.

Thanks.....I will have to take you up on the invite. PM sent!
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jack Mehoff:

I paid 700 for a 97 bonneville with the l67, 184k miles. The drivetrain is still strong but the interior is pretty bad. For you, 1500 isnt a bad price at all if its in good daily driving shape and the PO always ran 93 octane.

93 octane??? - Is that what they require or is it a strong suggestion? I do not know anything about the car. Just got the VIN so I need to look at the number of owners. I am pretty sure this is NOT the original owner. The leather interior is in very good shape, 145,000 miles. If I could trade out the seats that would be great. They look like they may be too high though. Power seats in a Fiero, LOL.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock