Radiator for a GM 3800 SC swap out in my 87 GT by kgoodyear
Started on: 05-30-2014 06:12 PM
Replies: 11 (664 views)
Last post by: dcarrd on 06-04-2014 01:24 AM
kgoodyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am stuffing a GM 3800 SC into a 1987 Fiero GT and I will make the assumption the radiator for the little 6 that was in there just isn't going to be good enough. I looked over the area for a radiator and boy, there are not a lot of options. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do away with the AC radiator to maybe make room for a thicker one? How are you pro's handling the additional cooling needs of the 3800SC?

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wrong assumption. The stock radiator is just fine. Don't waste your money. It is so good that even my V8 still uses it down here in S. FL.

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed White: 3800SC auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Wrong assumption. The stock radiator is just fine. Don't waste your money. It is so good that even my V8 still uses it down here in S. FL.

I agree, my 3800scII never had a single cooling issue in 5 years of very hard driving. However, it was not sufficient for my 400sbc unfortunately....

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well that works out pretty good then. I'll get it cleaned up and refurbished and put it back in. Thanks for the help guys.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you do decide to replace the radiator for any reason I have had good success with the Champion three core radiator. There is one currently installed onf my car with a 3800 SC Series III engine but I replaced the old stock radiator only after a collision with a hog one night on the way to a show.

Nelson
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that is exactly what I am going to replace it with. Too bad about the hog....
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock radiator in good condition will cool a 3800SC without any problems. I changed it to a Champion three core only because I run an automatic. The Champion 3 core heat dissipation quality is better and the trans cooler on that radiator is larger.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

that is exactly what I am going to replace it with. Too bad about the hog....

I was finding pieces of that damn hog for about the next four months. At least there was no body damage due ti the way the car rolled up on the hog. However, I did really shave the hog quite well. The car also won Best in Class at the show and I was quite pleased with everything but air shipping the new radiator and having to pay someone to install it since I had no tools available in the vehicle.

Nelson
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been on stock radiator for 6 years and never had a cooling problem.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

jwct7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwct7Send a Private Message to jwct7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought one of Archie's 4 core rads. My N* was marginal on long uphill roads.......
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jwct7:

I bought one of Archie's 4 core rads. My N* was marginal on long uphill roads.......

i also have one of Archie's and it works well.

Nelson
PFF
System Bot
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

i also have one of Archie's and it works well.

Nelson

cosign the Archie rad....I aso have my fan running all the time but I dont think that's quite necessary.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock