The Black GT V8.......new toy thread :D by batousai666
Started on: 05-30-2014 02:50 PM
Replies: 29 (1066 views)
Last post by: Lowerit on 06-16-2014 09:34 PM
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
after a 3 week battle I have finally gotten more that 10 miles behing the wheel!!
weeeee haw!!!! running errands was almost never so fun.
I say almost cuz the 3800 SC 87 I had was fun too

even found a Mate..........

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 05-30-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
first time the Engine has seen the sun in my hands
cuz the trunk lid wont stay up.....that is.
Greg Z

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks amazing. Love the clean stock look of the car.
Jims88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations on your new ride batousai666!!!
Looks cool
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good! Does that air filter fit underneath the stock decklid or is there an extractor? Hard to tell from the photos.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
batousai666 looks nice. I bet you are having fun.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys......now I only need to find a 3800 turbo Fiero and the stable will be complete
hummmmmmmmmmmm........

\m/ \m/ //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/069254.html \m/ \m/

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Lookin' good! Does that air filter fit underneath the stock decklid or is there an extractor? Hard to tell from the photos.

yeah it does fit, but barely. I have to check into a scoop or something.
this "extractor" maybe....not sure what that is yet. I had better check the archives

thanks for the comments and ideas........this car was killing at the O'Rileys cruise in too.
them MI boys sure love them some V8! this pic was taken real early.....most the hitters show'd up after dark.

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 05-30-2014).]

MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks very nice. I hope your other car comes out good too. Then you will be the envy of most of us Michiganders.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pshaw.......you make me blush. its a long time coming.
sooo I go to get some cat food this morn and I get in the GT hit the key and nothing!!!!!
got lights and all gauges pegged and me mad!!!!

start rootin around and notice this came unplugged.......huuhhhhh!!??

poped back on a away we went. wonder if thats why it tended to stall a bit??
the plastic holder thingy is wack ....on the harness side

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 05-31-2014).]

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009
ohhhhh my!!!!

give a listen to that........meow!!
https://myspace.com/3658201...dc3555.avi/109543864

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NICE !!!!!

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

PFF
System Bot
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well this sucks!! holds pretty steady.
guess I start with the thermostat and/or a hunt for air bubbles.

also stalls on quick take off and tight corners???? whats that about??

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 06-01-2014).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like fun!

Originally posted by batousai666:

well this sucks!! holds pretty steady.
guess I start with the thermostat and/or a hunt for air bubbles.

also stalls on quick take off and tight corners???? whats that about??

You might want to verify the temp before doing anything else. An IR temp gun to the thermostat housing will tell you if the coolant coming out of the engine is north of 220 degrees. If it is, then you can use the IR gun to see the coolant temp throughout the coolant system.

Fuel slosh in the carb fuel bowls. Might want to raise the float a little so there will be more fuel and less room to slosh around.
mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thanks for the comments and ideas........this car was killing at the O'Rileys cruise in too.
them MI boys sure love them some V8! this pic was taken real early.....most the hitters show'd up after dark.

mine always gets good comments once they see the V8 in there, good luck with the car looks like a pretty clean installation.

------------------
84SE, aero body, 4 speed and an injected 355 V8

GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking install. What auto transmission are you using?
Have fun
Gary
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run my fan all the time and no cooling problems on my 350 here in FL.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If that temp gauge is correct, you have a number of issues to look into. Mid Engine V8's heat up quick, so thermal fan has to start earlier than stock to get a jump on it, and you should be running at least a 3 Core Aluminum Radiator. Make sure your ignition isn't advanced too far as that will generate a lot of heat. Does car have front factory lower lip spoiler (helps improve air flow to radiator) ? and the list goes on and on.

Can't tell by photo's but being mid-engine you should have a thermal plate between carb and intake (it will help). From your description of operating issues it sounds like gas in bowls is too hot, maybe boiling.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the info, guys.....it holds steady at 230-ish so I guess I will start at the gauge and go from there.
also, I overheated it once 260* and it blew out a snapped off overflow nipple. I wonder it I "melted" the thermostat??
is that even possible? I do have a 3 core rad. and its got the factory scoop. it does also have the A/CCondenser rad but the A/C is not hooked up so I may take all the A/C stuff out. not sure about that yet. cuz I may hook it all back up if I think I wanna road Jam down south this summer ;} \m/
I guess since Harbor Freight has a coupon for a IR gun I should pick one up, eh??
as to the Type of Trans......now this is where I get "booos" its a modified and beefed up TH125
the good is that 3rd had to be rebuild/fixed the bad is 1st and 2nd "seemed" good to the PO's Tranny guy
I would have paid the difference above and on top of had I known they were not gunna do all the gears.

took it to work this morning and met a Pontiac play friend

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 06-03-2014).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What Radiator are you running ?
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

What Radiator are you running ?

from what I get from the receipt and after talking to the guy at Kings Radiator here in Kalamazoo where the unit was ordered from....I have to say its a custom built/modified 2 core that was made into a 3 core. just prior to an overheat, I busted off the overflow bottle nozzle and had them repair it and the guy that did the repair remembered "his work", as he put it.
sooooo all I got from the invoice is a part number. no name or brand, sorry.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was curious because you're running an auto trans which just puts more heat into radiator. Just so you know, Champion makes a great 3 core Aluminum, that a lot of people have had success reducing engine heat (I run one as well with my 5 spd). They come standard with hookups for auto trans.

If car is only for Summer Use, you could also take an old thermostat, remove core, and just run the base with flange that has holes in it. Flange only helps improve flow a bit, and also acts as a little restrictor to keep fluid from back flowing. Have been running mine this way for years now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pon...em4620a22f75&vxp=mtr
PFF
System Bot
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

I was curious because you're running an auto trans which just puts more heat into radiator. Just so you know, Champion makes a great 3 core Aluminum, that a lot of people have had success reducing engine heat (I run one as well with my 5 spd). They come standard with hookups for auto trans.

If car is only for Summer Use, you could also take an old thermostat, remove core, and just run the base with flange that has holes in it. Flange only helps improve flow a bit, and also acts as a little restrictor to keep fluid from back flowing. Have been running mine this way for years now.

right on!! thanks for the tips and the link.....ironically that's the exact same cooler I will have in the Mera when its done. came with the 87 base swap I got last year. seems the way to go

my hope is to work this issue out so I can hang out with these little nastys again. that's the '87 3800 SC swap "Black Dynamite" in the photo......RIP but its core is going to a great cause thanks to all once again

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 06-04-2014).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're Welcome.

I have to beat the snot out of mine to get it close to 200 F, thermal fans for radiator and oil cooler (behind side air intake) are set to come on at about 170 F.

------------------

Car History: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
soooooo whats it mean if i dont have heat in the cabin?? i have not used the system at all, cuz its not been tooo cold or too warm here
since i got it back from the Transmission shop. but today on a whim i tried it and no warm air in any vent position

this is gunna cost me, inn'it, eh??

*EDIT*

well on the other hand!! it seems my idea to by-pass the core all together has been addressed already. now what??
i did get the temp down to 223-225* ish. both by gauge and cheap (HaborFreight) IR heat gun. so i have to believe..its close
now what?? thermostat i guess

i also noticed today that the fan dont kick on till 220 ish also....hummmmm

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 06-08-2014).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i did get the temp down to 223-225* ish. both by gauge and cheap (HaborFreight) IR heat gun. so i have to believe..its close
now what?? thermostat i guess

i also noticed today that the fan dont kick on till 220 ish also....hummmmm

While driving on the highway, there should not be any need for the fan and the coolant temp should settle around the temp of the thermostat.

In town the temp will gradually creep up to the point at which the fan kicks on.

On Fiero SBC's, I like to use a 180 thermostat and have the fan set to come on about 190. So you might try those two items first.

Also, what water pump are you running (mechanical/electrical - if electrical, which one)?
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i got an Meziere high flow inline remote. electric.
i'll make for the t-stat tomarrow. thanks too all for the info
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sweet! made it there and back

Vicksburg car show 2014....close enough to attend with car even, with the heat issue
good time........I got some good shots. too
I guess there were over 1200 cars this year. that's a rumor tho....no official word yet.

I love Trains too....so this was a bonus

after these I snuck in thru the back door so I could park by my friends

the Impala here won its class........

even got to park next to my old 95 TA miss that car.....but I bought the GT with the money I saved fixing the TA soo its cool

nother shot with a train

the big view......

and we out!!!!! shut that Burg down!!!!

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 06-14-2014).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked your waterpipes?

It's always been a pet peeve of mine about checking the waterpipes.

Here is a good example of what to look for... //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094122.html

Archie
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Have you checked your waterpipes?

It's always been a pet peeve of mine about checking the waterpipes.

Archie

I sure did.....first thing as I bought it. on the day I got it I both asked if they were crushed and I checked myself.
and just checked again.....yulp! they are good

thanks Archie.
if only it could be that simple. still running 220* by org Fiero gauge. have not checked the T-stat yet but that's my last hope.
Lowerit

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoweritSend a Private Message to LoweritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
on my N* I ran a higher pressure cap in the front then the rear so it would bleed towards the motor, same with the LS1 corvair .. not sure if it applies to you. May also want to try redline water wetter.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock