The new 120 led's to the meter light strips in markers by 1Packrat
Started on: 05-29-2014 10:09 PM
Replies: 9 (850 views)
Last post by: tshark on 07-25-2014 07:17 PM
1Packrat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New led light strips have twice as many led’s now they come in 120 led’s to the meter. The old style had 60 led’s to the meter. This is what they look like in the side markers.

I like them as they fill in the marker all the way with light.

[This message has been edited by 1Packrat (edited 05-29-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FML the fact that the old style didn't fill the the reflector all the way was my biggest gripe. now i have to take em all apart again LOL. Where do you get these?
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am interested.

What is the price?

What does installation require? Any new relays or resistors?
I have an 86 SE with the second gen headlight motors and wiring harness.
1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The parts for this were purchased off of the Bay below are the links where I got mine:

Red Led strips: Here
Yellow Led strips: Here
Bridge rectifier: Here

Because of the way the FRONT side markers light with the turn signals the Bridge rectifier must be installed in the front assembly.
They are not needed for the REAR markers.

I soldered the leads on the attaching pads of the strips close to the marker hole the bulb went in. Wire used was from local Hobby shop in the train section. Wire can be very light weight as the load from the LED's is very light. I cut my bulb sockets off removed the bulb and used it as a plug to cover the marker end back up. I ran the small wires down the edge of the marker socket and pushed the plug back in to hold the wires securing them from being pulled buy the wiring harness. My installation was to solder the wires directly to the harness as led's last so long it will be quite a while before I ever have to remove them.

If you can solder you can do this. For the Bridge rectifier the + & - go to the light strip the 2 ~ go to the harness any direction. This is for the FRONT.
The REAR you must identify the + & - in the harness attach the wires if they light they are right if the don't switch them around.

Taking the side markers apart is much harder the doing the install of the led's. You will find that information on the < NET >
For me the end result was worth the effort. Next will be EMBRACE RACING LED GT taillights.
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks ok... Hard to tell from your pictures.

LEDs can be good or bad when installed... Depends on color match etc, Colored LEDs can work better for this use then White LEDs. See my Cave, LED poisoning

For general rule, You don't want side markers brighter than normal Taillight (Taillight, not stop/turn lights. Real rules are buried in SAE doc's called in FMVSS 108.)

Note then If using TFS lenses... TFS sells some/all markers without DOT markings. No marking can cause problems when cops/inspectors are picky. LEDs in them then can be notice by whoever allot faster.
Marking covered here, near bottom, See my Cave, Lighbulbs

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been selling LED side markers for over 5 years on PFF and Ebay..... I will suggest to you buy them with weatherstrip ..... you will find those UNprotected strips will weather out and give you problems ..... I used TFS markers easier to open ....
regards
Danyel

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should also look for the strip with the black backing so it doesn't stand out as much as the white will when off. Bump so I can add to my favorites.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 07-25-2014).]

1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Latest update:
Finished the Embrace Racing GT LED tail light kit upgrade and they look awesome.

The sequential turn signals are a real attention getter with everyone who has seen them.

Installed LED reverse lights which look more like headlights and work great.

Replaced all the instrument panel background lighting with T10 9 5050 red Led’s

That finished my lighting upgrades for the car.

Forgot one other after installing the tail lights the PONTIAC light was not bright enough so replaced the T10 9 Led's with T10 13 5050 Led's.

[This message has been edited by 1Packrat (edited 07-25-2014).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Several good placed for LEDs.

1. The courtesy lights under the dash. The one by the fuse box used to burn my arm. The LED does not, and is brighter.
2. The 12V power. The heat from this light causes problems.
3. The 3rd brake light. More heat issues.
4. The trunk light. I just want more light with less heat. The lower current is good, so my battery doesn't drain.
5. Map lights & top courtesy lights. Lower battery drain issues.
6. Front compartment light(s). No more broken filaments.
7. HVAC

LEDs for tail lights worry me. Also, not a fan of over-bright side markers.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock