Well Guys.... Wish me luck. by Pete Matos
Started on: 05-29-2014 07:18 PM
Replies: 11 (449 views)
Last post by: Pete Matos on 05-31-2014 11:00 PM
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sold my last fiero a bit ago and I am AGAIN finding I miss the damn thing. That car was an automatic and while honestly that tranny was pretty good for an auto I REALLY loved the four speed in my old 86 GT. Anyways, tomorrow I am going to drive to look at an 85GT four speed for sale locally. It has an engine problem that sounds like a head gasket or something but the price is right and I am hoping the car is decent. If it is I will buy it. I spoke at length with the owner this afternoon and if he is not lying to me the car sounds like it is in good shape. I hope it is. I am going to have to fix the motor just like the last car but if it is in good shape it will be worth it.

My loving wife is off work tomorrow and we are gonna head over and look at it. I am hopeful the car is not rusted or damaged and that I can get a great deal on it. So anyways wish me luck folks and I will let you all know how it goes. It sure will be nice to be back in a Fiero again and I cannot wait to bang some gears in it and cruise around with my wife in the mountains again. Peace

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck, The last one I bought sounded like a diesel ... Oh, wait, never mind, it was a diesel !!

I hope you find the new one in good shape. Have fun.
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck, I hope it turns out to be a good one!
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck, neighbor!!
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys... the price is pretty cheap so I am not expecting a cream puff but I am hopeful. I can fix or replace the motor so that is not a big deal but I am more excited about the four speed than anything else. We will see how it goes. It sure would be nice if it is as nice as it looks. Peace

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well guys.... UNFORTUNATELY I drove three hours one way today with my wife and kids to go look at that Fiero GT and I am sorry to say that it was a beautiful car with a really good looking body. The problem is that the entire rear frame of the car was rusted out. What a damn shame. I was really hoping I found a nice one for a great price. As usual the owner who claimed to know much about fieros was unaware of the problems and after I showed him he was kinda speechless. This was a real bummer for me because the pictures he sent were very nice indeed and when we drove up and first saw the car it really looked pretty nice. I am sure there are LOTS of Fiero's out there that look very nice on the outside and are rotting away underneath. I am not upset about this the owner was very honest about the car and I really do not think he knew about the rust issues. He was a very kind and nice fellow. Unfortunately I have seen lots of folks who think they have a really nice FIero only to find out the car is like this one. It is what it is.

Pete

------------------

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is an advantage to living here in the desert southwest. To get a car to rust here you have to throw water and salt on it regularly. The only thing that is sad is how may rust free Fiero's in wrecking yards here have been sent to the crusher........ There used to be a lot more than there are now.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure.. I have had two fiero's now and looking for another one. I was lucky with the first two. The reality is that unless you crawl under there and have a real good look and reach up under the wheel well and feel behind the frame you will never know. There are lots of nice looking fiero's out there I am sure that are falling apart underneath. I am looking for a decent builder car. After driving up there and kinda settling on a Fiero that did not have the equipment I really want only to find it was a rust bucket I kinda learned something driving home. I spoke with my wife a good bit about it. She has ALWAYS said that you need to figure out EXACTLY what you want to get and don't even look at anything else regardless of whether or not it is a good deal. Just decide what you REALLY want to have in the car and wait to find it or go without. I sold off my old 86 GT years ago and it was a red four speed car with sunroof and rear spoiler. It had AC and the nicer interior etc. It was not a perfect car but after having another Fiero that was NOT what I wanted the difference was amazing. I should have never sold that first car. Now I gotta try to find a decent condition one just like it for a reasonable price.

I had been looking at it like....well.... If the car does not have the fastback style or a sunroof you can always add those. I even felt like if the car was an auto but I wanted a four speed you can always convert it. Well while all of that is true it if just not worth the trouble. There are still lots of fiero's out there and at some point someone will put the one I want up for sale for a reasonable price. I honestly could care less if the motor is blown or the paint is not that great because I am planning to change all of that. It is simple really, just figure out what I want and go find it. My wife is a smart woman and she totally supports my desires for this crazy little car so I am a lucky guy. I just need to find a nice builder car for a reasonable price somewhere. Hopefully it will be close by. Driving three hours one way to see it is fine but I am gonna hope for one closer. I would be willing to drive a couple hours or even into the adjacent states for the RIGHT GT. Basically I need to learn some damn patience LOL...peace

Pete

------------------

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a Black 88 GT with gold wheels I keep trying to catch that is in my area. The paint is fried but it is definitely a driver as I regularly see it going the other way. El Paso is a long way off, but at least rust would not be an issue. If you are interested I can try and track it down for you.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks man but I am working with limited funds here. Shipping a car across the country is gonna kill it. Besides there are lots of cars locally here just gotta make the right deal. Thanks anyways. Peace

Pete

------------------

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pete, there is a gold 86GT down here in Atlanta. I think it's 60 something thousand miles and I believe he's the second owner since the early 90's. It's a 4-speed and needs a headliner. Tan interior in pretty decent shape. Slight fading of the clear coat but has been kept inside most of it's life. Call Nathan Ridgeway at Seven 7 Oh, 3 Won Fore, 6 Nine 9 Five. Keep calling til you get an answer. If he doesn't return a voice mail, call again. He's a minister and very busy with the church and safe houses for battered women and children.
PFF
System Bot
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierofool,
Unfortunately I already saw that ad and I am looking for a car with grey interior like the other one. I know PICKY PICKY right. Sounds like a nice car tho.. Thanks for the tip. Peace

Pete

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock